It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Hate You Windows 8

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
These automatic updates are BS. I'm sick of it, it's practically defeated the whole purpose of having a computer for me. Partially because of the fact that something's messed up with my computer that anti-virus software isn't detecting, because it is just very slow even though I don't have much on my computer at all. Plus my phone is just easy and convenient. So, I don't get on the computer all that often. Usually when I do, it's for a specific purpose. Like I just got motivated to write something, and I want the increased ease and speed which comes with using an actual keyboard. So, I get on the computer. As soon as I turn it on, I'm given a message 'save all of your work, windows will be automatically restarting for updates.' And sometimes these can take like a half hour or more. And this happens all the time, like almost every time I get on, since that's not that often. And it's just kind of ruining my computer experience. Like I said, I usually get on cuz I'm motivated to write something, and then since that happens I usually just end up saying screw it and not doing it. So yea, screw you windows...I'm goin home...
edit on 13-5-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

I feel your pain....

I'm using my android tablet more and more.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I usually get on cuz I'm motivated to write something,

Ah, ya poor soul, that sucks.

You mentioned twice that you generally only fire the thing up for the word processor, so I think that narrows down how the machine is useful to you: you wanna generate UGC.

What you need is just a fast "UGC Portal" (that's what I've started to call it).

Trash Win 8 and install Linux Mint. Done deal.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Set Windows updates to only update when you allow it. That simple.

edit on 5/13/2015 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
You can set your update settings so you can choose which and when to install them, i used to do this but word of warning some times those urgent updates are actually urgent so you have to remember to install them every now and then, every few weeks works for me.

This will help keep the updates to a minimum of interruption when you actually want to do something asap.

This however will not stop those updates that require re-configuration AFTER a reboot, you know the ones, where you turn on the machine and it has to finish a bunch of updates before you even login - i think these are the worst personally. You can get around it by restarting the machine after you choose to install them, which while works is hard to remember to do.

You can set the updates to completely off and on previous versions this was okay some times, but with win8 being so complicated and newer attacks more intricate, i advise against it.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Set automatic updates to only update when you allow it. That simple.

Well I hope that's true...when I first confronted this automatic update thing, I googled it and found something that said there was no way around it...I really hope that was wrong...I cannot believe how long this update it's doing right now is taking...it takes so long updating, and then it finally finishes...and then a new thing like 'applying new updates' comes up...and takes forever...then it says 'finalizing settings' comes up...and takes forever...and now a new thing saying 'setting up a few more things' has popped up, and is only at 8% even though it's been up for a whole...it has to have been at least 45 minutes that this has been updating, and I got on there to do something specific that I can only do on my computer...very annoying...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Control Panel> Windows Update>Change settings>"Check for updates, but let me choose..."

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

You can always download another operating system...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
You can set your update settings so you can choose which and when to install them, i used to do this but word of warning some times those urgent updates are actually urgent so you have to remember to install them every now and then, every few weeks works for me.

This will help keep the updates to a minimum of interruption when you actually want to do something asap.

This however will not stop those updates that require re-configuration AFTER a reboot, you know the ones, where you turn on the machine and it has to finish a bunch of updates before you even login - i think these are the worst personally. You can get around it by restarting the machine after you choose to install them, which while works is hard to remember to do.

You can set the updates to completely off and on previous versions this was okay some times, but with win8 being so complicated and newer attacks more intricate, i advise against it.

If I turn off the automatic updates, will it still prompt me asking me to update?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I got those damn updates a lot. Like every day. Then sometimes it would lock up for hours trying to install them, only to have it be a bad update. I eventually got sick of it and shut updates off.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

originally posted by: Biigs

If I turn off the automatic updates, will it still prompt me asking me to update?

Mine are off and I all I get for prompts is a little message that says that they are available. That's on the start screen and I don't even have to click anything to shut if off. It just sits there out of the way.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

That sounds like an odd problem , I don't know Win 8 so all I can suggest is use something like Ccleaner to clean the registery and junk then defrag the drive , if nothing else it should speed your computer up a bit.

Window 10 will be released as a free upgrade in a couple of months so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

It shouldn't as the updates are off , better option would be change it to notify me but don't download , at least then you will still be protected.

edit on 13-5-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Yes. Change the Windows update settings. That said, Windows 7 fo' life!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

It shouldn't as the updates are off , better option would be change it to notify me but don't download , at least then you will still be protected.

This is the option i have on my win8 machine, not really so i can actually look into any specific updates, simply to remind me to do it at some point.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Every modern OS will need updates, and they are not small if you have not done them initially, or frequently. Even Linux. And to be honest, if you were unaware of how to turn off automatic updates with windows, linux will leave you lost, especially if something fails to operate correctly, and troubleshooting means hours of research..

I've looked at windows 10 too, I think I'll be sticking with 7 or 8 for a while. Then again I have 8 set to pretty much be the improved version of 7. ie; ignore metro and installed the start menu application.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
i use windows 7, and have set all my setting to not do updates until i tell it to.

but windows says "nevermind that, here's 29 updates for you....you better not unplug that computer"

So there i am, already running late for work, needing to pack up the laptop and head out.....but having to wait for Scumbag Windows to do 29 updates that I didn't authorize.

I feel your pain.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I use 7 on my main rig and i have settings set to completely off and i never get bugged about updates.

Unless somthing goes wrong or an update to an application that i have updated causes problems with the OS i never install.

Having decent an up to date AV/firewall is far more important than microsloth updates in my opinion. The other wonderful thing about auto matic updates is that some times a preventative update can CAUSE problems and require another update to fix!!! (thankfully very very rare) This is a really stupid problem when the thing that gets messed up is your ability to connect to the internet, because how are you meant to get the auto update to the update!

I bet Bill Gates didnt see this future back in the day for his then future operating system!
edit on b05051157 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
As others have stated, you can choose at what level you wish to receive updates. I always choose "download updates but let me choose when to install them."

I agree that if this is giving you issues you should not switch to any Linux distro.

And I disagree with others that say the only updates you need are to Windows Firewall and AV stuff (You shouldn't really be getting AV updates anyway, as that would typically be a third-party application). Many updates close security risks, whether they are specific to WFW or otherwise. When choosing to apply updates, look through the list and make a determination as to whether or not you truly need that update.

If your PC is running slow it's almost certainly due to something you have installed. Having a ton of applications installed should not be a reason for your computer to run slow - it's what is currently running that will cause performance issues. I would wager that you have downloaded some form of malware that is constantly running. There are various tools for identifying and removing this malware, but the best option in my opinion is to wipe and reinstall your OS. This is a particularly good and effective option for people like yourself who haven't installed many applications. Back up what you need and reinstall Windows. =]

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

On an end-user system the situation you are describing has never happened to me - and I have multiple Windows boxes..

If an update is breaking something, like your "internet connection," there is something else wrong with your computer.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
As others have stated, you can choose at what level you wish to receive updates. I always choose "download updates but let me choose when to install them."

I have it set just like that in win 7. Any input on why i get random forced installs of updates from Windows? By "random" i mean about every 2 days. This morning i was 30 minutes late to work because it forced through 29 updates.

In ideas?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join