It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philedelphia Train Crash: Amtrak rail accident kills six (& injures 140+ others)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
www.bbc.com...

A passenger train has derailed in Philadelphia, killing at least six people and injuring more than 140 others, officials in the US city say.

Seven carriages including the engine of the Amtrak train bound for New York went off the track on Tuesday evening. Part of the US's most travelled stretch of passenger rail between Philadelphia and New York was closed as officials tried to determine the cause. More than 240 people were on board Train 188, officials said.

"It is a devastating scene," Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter told reporters. "Never seen anything like this in my life.

"We walked the entire length of the train area. The engine [is] completely separated from the rest of the train and one of the cars is perpendicular to the rest of the cars. It's unbelievable."

..."I think the fact that I walked off (the train) kind of made it even more surreal because a lot of people didn't walk off," he said. "I walked off as if, like, I was in a movie. There were people standing around, people with bloody faces. There were people, chairs, tables mangled about in the compartment ... power cables all buckled down as you stepped off the train."

Hits home for me since I was born in P.A. lived in Holland (which is right outside Philly) till I was 7 and moved out of state.

I'm stunned. This is awful. My heart goes out to those impacted by this disaster...

*** NB ***

The crash took place close to the scene of one of the worst rail accidents in US history. In 1943, 79 people were killed when a train travelling from Washington to New York derailed.

*History truly does REPEAT ITSELF

Truly awful awful awful that this has happened.
They need to never put a railroad in this place. Like seriously. That needs to be gotten rid of ASAP!

edit on 13-5-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
www.bbc.com...

A passenger train has derailed in Philadelphia, killing at least six people and injuring more than 140 others, officials in the US city say. Seven carriages including the engine of the Amtrak train bound for New York went off the track on Tuesday evening. Part of the US's most travelled stretch of passenger rail between Philadelphia and New York was closed as officials tried to determine the cause. More than 240 people were on board Train 188, officials said.

"It is a devastating scene," Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter told reporters. "Never seen anything like this in my life.

"We walked the entire length of the train area. The engine [is] completely separated from the rest of the train and one of the cars is perpendicular to the rest of the cars. It's unbelievable."

..."I think the fact that I walked off (the train) kind of made it even more surreal because a lot of people didn't walk off," he said. "I walked off as if, like, I was in a movie. There were people standing around, people with bloody faces. There were people, chairs, tables mangled about in the compartment ... power cables all buckled down as you stepped off the train."

I was born in P.A. lived in Holland till I was 7 and moved out of state.

I'm stunned. This is awful. My heart goes out to those impacted by this disaster...

Also, I found this really interesting:

The crash took place close to the scene of one of the worst rail accidents in US history. In 1943, 79 people were killed when a train travelling from Washington to New York derailed.

Where were you born in PA?

I've taken the train from NY to Philly and to DC countless times. My brother used to live in Philadelphia. I was in PA last weekend for Mother's Day.

Sad event.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

thread here.
edit on 13-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I was born in Langhorne
--are you also a Pennsylvania native?I haven't been back there since the last time I visited for my cousin's wedding about 4 or 5 years ago.

Yes, so very sad indeed.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
With all of the train derailments recently, one has to ponder...what is up? There are many whom say sabotage. The FBI warned of the possibility just a few months ago. Why do they not have a rig that runs these tracks before any trains do their runs? this would be pricey given the scope of it nationwide, but it would reduce the possibility of disasters. there is also cameras, they are just about everywhere...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

LOL OH NOES. my bad!!

Just was so shocked it being so near to where I grew up and lived.

Thread Closed, then
Sorry bout that

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

No it's OK..
Good opening!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I was born in Langhorne
--are you also a Pennsylvania native?I haven't been back there since the last time I visited for my cousin's wedding about 4 or 5 years ago.

Yes, so very sad indeed.

Nice! I'm from CA most of my life but born in Minnesota. Now I live in NYC. I have family though in PA.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Just an observation from the video. That train was going awful fast for that curve. That might be what happened.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Please use the existing thread which is easily discoverable in the new topics page.

new topics

top topics

join