It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train derailed outside of Philadelphia

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: haaat

He could say he never had a history of seizures, and this was a lone episode out of the blue. Not that he definitely had one, mind you.

Oh I definitely agree with you.

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: spirit_horse

apparently Amtrak engineer Brandon Bostian has long posted online rants about the lack of rail safety systems like the "positive train control" that critics say could have prevented the Philadelphia derailment — which happened with Bostian at the train's controls.

The International Business Times cited another one of Bostian's forum chats in 2009, where he warned of the perils of having an overtired crew.
"Everyone wants an extension to hours of service to avoid inconvenience, but what will you say when the crew that's been on duty for longer than 12 hours accidentally falls asleep and passes a stop signal and rear-ends a loaded hazmat train, killing dozens or hundreds of people?" Bostian wrote.

I was under the impression they were federally mandated to not work over 12 hours on the day. Given this I never really cared when I heard T&E crews saying 'we're tired' considering they don't have to work 22hr shifts regularly, sometimes the shift ends up lasting 50-80hrs due to delays (the joy of being on board!). He is correct in warning of overtired crews potentially being hazardous though - the employees (T&E and on board, anyways) often times aren't even treated like human beings, but we continue doing our job because we chose to be there and it provides for our families. It's funny when we call out due to illness or exhaustion and we get yelled at, yet we're the ones looking out for all of our coworkers and passengers safety by calling out of work. Go figure.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

The closest thing I can think of is that BNSF GPS thing I was talking about earlier in this thread.. There is no remote anything on trains that I know of.. That is why they have 2 people on there in case 1 gets stupid the other ones is there for correction because if something does go wrong.. it isn't the engineers ass on the line it is both conductor and engineer..

This is what I am not understanding.. I saw briefly at the vape shop about this crash they said the guy ran this line 100's of times.. So really.. I have no idea how this could have happened.. At all.. From what I know on the trains and working with them this is borderline impossible to have 2 people cooperate on running an engine 50 or 55 mph over the speed limit..

Really is making no sense.. but most responsibility falls on the engineer because he is the one in control of the train.. But in the eyes of the employer.. They both get pulled out of service.. Ya seriously not making any sense..
edit on 5/14/2015 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100

www.nydailynews.com...

The International Business Times cited another one of Bostian's forum chats in 2009, where he warned of the perils of having an overtired crew.
"Everyone wants an extension to hours of service to avoid inconvenience, but what will you say when the crew that's been on duty for longer than 12 hours accidentally falls asleep and passes a stop signal and rear-ends a loaded hazmat train, killing dozens or hundreds of people?" Bostian wrote.

It is kind of strange that he would be discussing this like that. Did he have some experience where they were falling asleep? If the conductor fell asleep then there is no backup if the engineer falls asleep. I thought they had dead man switches they had to hit ever couple of minutes or so. Maybe one of the train experts know if this is true? Then you would wonder if it isn't pushed what happens?

edit on 15/5/15 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: intrptr

Where did you hear it was close to a station?

I didn't, I was simply going by pictures. The post above mentions that it was a junction not a rail yard but I would still think it was going too fast. Trains slow down when entering these areas. That train was NOT slowing down by the look of the video.

Sorry for the delay. Do we know now why it was going that fast?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Hope they get it cleaned up quickly so it doesn't mess things up like the steel strike of 1959 did.

Sorry for the delay. Some report stated that mess was costing a hundred million a day in lost revenue.

One train.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Well ya that incident I showed in Altoona Pa.. that was a good bit of money.. I think it was 45 50 mil by time it was all said and done..

You have to understand these trains aint like cars.. From what I am gathering This line is a straight line for Amtrak so ya they are prob losing an ass load of money right now because that line goes up the east coast..

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

The most traveled rail corridor in the known Galaxy, I think.

Millions of people go there.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
As a Locomotive Engineer in the US (freight), I will try to address some of the things in this thread, and I would be happy to answer any questions.

The download (black box) should contain enough information to piece together what happened, as long as it was undamaged and complete. It will probably get plugged into a RR class simulator to help recreate what took place. It's going to get analysed to hell and back, so it might take a bit to get the results, much less them being published.

PTC (Positive Train Control) could have helped prevent this situation, assuming that it was functioning correctly. There have been many issues with this technology so it is not 100% reliable.

Having another crew member on the engine would have helped greatly, giving another set of eyes to make sure all rules and speeds are observed. It used to be this way, but many assistant engineers (passenger) or Conductors (freight) are being removed from the engine to cut costs.

Having both PTC and a second crew member would be the ideal situation. However, as PTC is implemented nationwide, you'll see the RR's trying to cut even more personel to cut operating costs, to appease stockholders.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Genoskwa

www.dailymail.co.uk... ot-turned-on.html

so why did the speed jump so fast in seconds (from 70 to over 100)and why wasn't the speed control safety on that track turned on??

I was wondering if there were any riders that rode regularly and did they notice it was way too fast,but, obviously it happened in seconds so no time to react.

an employee informed that they were experiencing delays in the system because the radios don't have enough frequency.
edit on 15-5-2015 by research100 because: dang spelling

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
My bet is he lawyered up because he knows he didn't pay enough attention to the job and it will be found out. Neglect isn't a good defense.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
NOW we hear this?conservativerefocus.com...

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Sumwalt said the timeline of the acceleration came from a video camera trained on the tracks and positioned inside the cab where Bostian rode. The camera showed the time and the train’s speed.

Sixty-five seconds before impact, the train was “above 70 miles per hour,” Sumwalt said. That suggests the train was within the 80-mph speed limit on the straightaway leading to the curve.

But instead of slowing down to the curve’s 50-mph limit, the train went faster.

At 43 seconds before impact, its speed exceeded 80 mph, Sumwalt said. Thirty-one seconds before impact, it went above 90 mph. The train was traveling at more than 100 mph 16 seconds before the crash, he said.

“Mere seconds into the turn,” Sumwalt said, the train tilted about 10 degrees to the right as the derailment began. “And then the recording went blank.”

Link

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
NOW we hear this?conservativerefocus.com...

that is a dead link

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is it...

FBI Bulletin Warned Of Train Derailment Threat Due to Derailment Device Thefts
Posted by: Barry
Published on May 13th, 2015 @ 11:30:00 pm , using 226 words,
Posted in Events and Issues: Credible Resources
ABC News By Jason Ryan Devices that could be used by terrorists to derail trains are being stolen from rail facilities around the country, the FBI warned today. Nine derailers, a piece of railroad equipment used to derail train cars for safety purposes

edit on 5/15/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/15/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: research100

Weird. If you copy and paste it works.

Nine derailers have been stolen from yards and the FBI was warning about derailing threats.
edit on 5/15/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I wonder how many people are going to have to die before we figure out that investing in our infrastructure is worthwhile.

We can't all live in the woods in tiny cabins, hording our wealth because taxes are evil. Maybe someday I'll need to ride a train. I'd like for it to be safe on that day. I'll gladly pay taxes on that, even if I never ride on it myself.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: research100

could have been speeding on purpose, could have slumped over or blacked out. also we don't know when that speed measurement was taken, at least from what i have read. If the engine had derailed, the wheel the measurement was taken from could have been free spinning in the air, causing it too look like he was hauling ass. I saw the crappy vid of the train going by just before it happened, and my first thought was that he wasnt speeding. though that could have just been the crap quality of the video skipping frames.

The passengers would have definatly noticed if the train was going 100 for any good length of time, especially if they are frequent riders. That speed on that track would have been like being a pinball bouncing around. If it suddenly accelerated, at most the passengers would have gone, "dafuq?", then boom.

As far as why the ptc wasnt on that track yet? Money. as to why PTC isnt fully rolled out, money and tech. Mandating this tech and expecting the RR's to bear all of the cost, in a limited amount of time, yeah, when the tech wasnt even in development, bad idea. Have to keep in mind that this PTC roll out has to be compatible with EVERY RR and on ALL tracks, because engines cross company lines, a lot. so it has to work EVERYWHERE. its a big undertaking.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That was a thought that crossed my mind as well, but no evidence so far of that being the case, so i dunno.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Train video with logged speed show it speeding up the last minute before the curve.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Airlines starts price gouging for plane tickets in NE corridor. Good old America business.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join