It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train derailed outside of Philadelphia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

They do not have to slow down much if there are no turn outs and the track is super elevated.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It had already passed through the Amtrak station about five miles south of the crash scene. You can follow it back south from WheatSheaf lane.. the site of the crash. Find the Wal*Mart and you'll see the bend.

Station is on north broad St and W Glen would.. more like 2 miles south west of the site/bend
edit on 13-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Look on Google maps.. it was also reported on Fox that it had passed the station.
edit on 13-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
SEPTA Says Commuter Train Hit By Projectile Just Before Amtrak Train Derailed

philadelphia.cbslocal.com...

PHILADELPHIA (CBS/AP) – A Philadelphia commuter train was hit by a projectile about 20 minutes before an Amtrak train derailed a few miles up the track. A spokeswoman for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority says there’s no indication that the incident is related to the derailment. SEPTA spokeswoman Jerri Williams says they don’t know what the projectile was. It broke the engineer’s window around 9:25 p.m. Tuesday near SEPTA’s North Philadelphia station. No injuries were reported. Williams says the Trenton-bound commuter train was stopped and the incident was being investigated when the Amtrak derailment happened about 3½ miles away.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

about the flashes on the video..., the reporter lady said those are the flashes as each train derailed...on the tv they said the "black box" has been found...the conductor is still alive...bunch of people still unaccounted for...238 on the train 200 went or were taken to the hospital, so can't be that many unaccounted for.
edit on 13-5-2015 by research100 because: corrected number

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
You couldn't pay me enough to ride an Amtrak train. How many crashes per year are there? It seems every time I turn around there's another crash.

I'll take my chances with the weirdos on the Greyhound buses.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Wow, that is kind of weird.

Hope it wasn't foul play for either incident, but that kind of adds a little mystery huh.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Been seeing on CNN that investigators are now mentioning that speed may have played a factor in the crash. Too early to tell but they may have hit the cause of this right on the head. However, judging by the distance that most of the train traveled after jumping the tracks and by what's left of one car. It had to be going at least twenty five to thirty miles per hour over what the posted speed limit is for that curve.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: gimmefootball400

death toll just updated to 7 on the tv

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: gimmefootball400
WSJ

An Amtrak train involved in a fatal crash here appears to have been traveling at more than 100 miles an hour as it entered a sharp curve where it derailed Tuesday night

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Oh my..

"SEPTA train hit by projectile minutes before Amtrak crash"

www.philly.com...

I work in center city Philly and take a SEPTA train to work everyday. It's not uncommon for a commuter train to get hit by 'projectiles' ie. kids throwing rocks at the moving train for sport. I think the incident is totally unrelated to the accident.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

Wow, that is kind of weird.

Hope it wasn't foul play for either incident, but that kind of adds a little mystery huh.

a little strange , yes

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They do not have to slow down much if there are no turn outs and the track is super elevated.

The track around there is not elevated much. If I had to bet, the engineer was most likely texting or talking on his phone and missed the signal to slow down. Speed was definetly a factor.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It was bad, but could also been a lot worse. The train derailed about 50 yards from freight train tanker cars which were full. If they would have exploded, there would've been a lot more casualties.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Speed was the most likely cause. There are others as well, though. The rail could have broken and laid over. A weld of a previous break could have given way. A wheel on one of the cars could have broken (either the whole wheel or just the flange). One of the wheel bearings could have overheated and failed. Most all of these would be exacerbated by the increased lateral forces in a corner.

If speed is determined to be the cause it was almost certainly human error of some kind. It could have been cell phone use, but this is becoming less likely due to the $12700 civil fine imposed on any rail employee determined to be using cell phones while the train is moving or in other safety intensive operations.

A more likely cause of human error would be fatigue which is epidemic on US railroads at this time.

I am not ruling out physical failure yet, though. Lots of moving parts that are prone to breaking.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

the tracks were checked about an hour before the derail

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

The track around there is not elevated much. If I had to bet, the engineer was most likely texting or talking on his phone and missed the signal to slow down. Speed was definetly a factor.

I was just watching the news, and Fox and CNN are saying the train was traveling at or above 100 mph. In addition, there is a new computer system in place to override any failure by engineer to slow down to approved speeds. Neither engineer or computer system worked as planned.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well, as Im working I haven't had time to read all, so let me be the first to say...Drum roll....

"I'm ringing from ISIS and we are claiming responsibilty for this derailment, and the other one aswell...one of our 70'ish trained operatives took the screws out of the tracks..."

Or have they already rang..?
edit on PM3Wed20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I'm here in Jersey just across the river and local sources are reporting that "something" was launched or thrown at the tracks/train just before the derailment. . .

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

There was ANOTHER train that had something thrown at it. Are they saying this train did also? There is a link above by Stormdancer77.

There are TWO different train incidents in Philly, only 1 crash.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
And now TWO other trains are supposedly stuck right now. Even stranger. . .

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join