It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Marine Helicopter missing in Nepal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Did they send Zulus? I thought they were Yankees, but I've been wrong before.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The bell UH-1Y is what the articles are claiming.. the "Yankee"

www.bellhelicopter.com...

U.S. Marines and sailors with Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron-469 attached to Joint task Force 505 stand in front of their UH-1Y Hueys at the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu, Nepal, May 9. In response to the Nepal earthquake, the U.S. military sent Airmen, Marines, Soldiers and Sailors as part of JTF 505 to support the humanitarian assistance and disaster relief mission in Nepal at the direction of U.S. Agency for International Development. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Mandaline Photo credit: U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Mandaline
edit on 12-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

This from the Pentagon web site.

www.defense.gov...
edit on 12-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Still a twin, which may be good news for them if it only affected one engine.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Yes it is.. but no mayday call. Means they may not of had power... or to low into an area to get that mayday out.
Still crossing fingers.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

They had dropped a load of supplies and were heading to another area. They were probably blocked by mountains.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Agreed. On another note. They have both supplies and survival training.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I was hoping that you guys had found an update that I had missed. So still no word on finding anything yet? What are the temps and wild life like there? Would this be something that should be factored into survival?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Warm in the 80's and on the bubble for moderate humidity . I keep looking for updates. But the search still continues.

Weather..

www.timeanddate.com...
edit on 13-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: buddah6

Did they send Zulus? I thought they were Yankees, but I've been wrong before. [/quote

Zaph, I may have it backwards...sorry my meds sometime have me a little slow! Zulus are the cobras and Yankees are Hueys ?
edit on 13-5-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Latest conflicting update...

“We have been told it was spotted in Tamakoshi region,” Interior Ministry spokesman Laxmi Dhakal told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur press agency late Tuesday. “But until [our] choppers make landing and get to it, we still can’t say anything about its condition or of its passengers.”

A Nepali military official separately said Wednesday that the helicopter – carrying six Marines and two Nepali troops – appeared to have come down in the rivers that run through valleys east of Nepal's capital, Kathmandu.

"The info we have is that it is down in one of the rivers, but none of the choppers has seen it yet," Major Rajan Dahal, second-in-command of the Barda Bahadur Battalion, told Reuters in Charikot, a village where the missing Huey was scheduled to land and deliver aid.

Source...

www.foxnews.com...

A Marines spokeswoman also told Reuters there have been no confirmed sightings of the helicopter. The spokeswoman also said she did not have information that it landed in a river.

U.S. Air Force pararescuemen joined the search for the helicopter Wednesday. The 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade tweeted photographs of the so-called "PJs" boarding helicopters to begin their search-and-rescue missions.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The reports now are that it landed but no one has gotten to it to check on the crew.

PACOM is saying it has not been found. They're doing relay searches. The other helicopters go as long as they can, as they had back for fuel V-22s head out to take over.
edit on 5/13/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Thanks Zaphod. I'm going to see this thread through.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

According to
he PACOM site. The UH-1Y shown doing supply runs. Is twin engine Huey know as the "Venom".
But that appears to be a 4 bladed rotor.
But the Yankee is still coming up.

www.flickr.com...

Edit update from the Pentagon. Still searching.

www.defense.gov...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Best wishes to them.

Brave men trying to help suffering people.

My thoughts are with them.

edit on 13-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Latest update one hour ago Per PACOM.

www.marinecorpstimes.com...

still no joy.

"Right now we are hopeful that there was no crash. There has been no [emergency] beacon, no other signs — no flames, no smoke, no hole in the ground — to indicate that there was a crash," Warren said Tuesday.

"That said, of course, it's very rugged and difficult terrain," an official said.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Now this is a twist. A Marine from Dallas thought to be a crew member on the helicopter sent his family a text message that he's OK.

OK this is really weird. The news claims his brother said he wasn't on the missing helicopter, but then quotes his brother as saying they hope they find him, in the same article.
edit on 5/13/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Where did you see that?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I found a news article from Dallas. They edited it though so now his brother talked about finding him last night before the text came in.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

OK..
I was hoping they would be found today. Or at least before this thread leaves the from page of mobile ATS.
I'll keep checking for updates.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

At this point it's not looking good. Even allowing for terrain they should have been able to get SOME kind of signal out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join