It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Tells Black Grads That White People Make Life Tough

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoalPoster
From where I'm sitting, experiences I've had, things I've witness and general information provided through media outlets both main and not-so-much stream . . . Mrs. Obama isn't all that far off the mark.

lol spare me the sob story. how has a white person directly made your life tough? michelle obama is just a racist cow.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I live in the south, Tucker Georgia, as a matter of fact. I will stop giving speeches like Michelle Obama's credence when some White people stop being "shocked" by how intelligent they think I am, all while not minding stating it verbally to me. If it only happened once, I would just think it was an anomaly. I even gotten the "you're a real credit" line tossed my way! HA LOL On the plus side, my wife and I always laugh hard when we talk about this in conversation.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Yeah...sorry, I don't subscribe to generalized stereotypes, as that usually shows the ignorance of the stereotypist more than the person about whom they are speaking.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I haven't seen the video (data constraints), but I've read most of the comments (on page 10 of 13 now). I get the idea, I'm pretty sure. I can relate to both sides (in my opinion). I have a couple of things to say:

1. I'm guessing the speech was at least racially divided, wasn't it? (I can guess that just by the division of sides in these comments.). It was made towards an Historically Black College, referencing very real troubles minorities have had in the past, right? What about the speech made relations any better? (Again, I didn't watch it yet.)

I gotta hurry, cause I'm getting on an Alaskan Air flight real soon, which serves as a segue:

2. Alaska Air's Chief Football Officer, Russell Wilson, seems to be as good of a role model as anybody can be to look up to: He's so far humble, a responsibility taker, compassionate, has a great work ethic, and he even takes the high road (so far at least). You might remember when some teammates of his ALLEGEDLY said he "wasn't 'black' enough?" He made a boring statement (okay, following a win) about not even knowing what that means... But they say power corrupts, so hopefully he'll be an exception to the rule.

People on this thread should judge not, least he be judged...

Come on, people, now. Smile on your brother. Everybody get together. Try to love one another. RIGHT NOW!

Gotta fly.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: wanderingconfusion

I live in the South, but I have also lived in states that are more incline to other races, like from California to NY, ect.

I have to say that it wasn't until I came to the south that I realized what racism was, but the crazy thing is that it was not against black Americans but the whites in the city I live that is mostly African American dominated.

I never heard anybody before I came to the south said that been of white pigmentation she didn't had a particular job because of her skin color.

yes I witness that same comment many, many times around, the interesting thing is that those that hold positions of power in my local city and are Black Americans and are found to be as corrupted as their white counterparts when it comes to power, I guess color it doesn't matter.

BTW I have never been mistreated for been Latina any where I have been so far in all the years that I have been traveling and living in the US

Sometimes I wonder is the issue of race is an excuse, but I know better, racism exist but is not limited to one portion of the population against the other only and is very much within the same races also, we all have bias.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JourneymanWelder

Is very clear that the issue of races is going to be a hot topic during the next elections, what else does the democratic party is gong to use to push Bilary, that is as white as it can come, only if she paint herself as a champion for the black Americans in the nations and Latinos needs, is all politics

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
As much as I can't stand race baiting and the media induced race war that's ongoing, and the fact that racism is still an issue, she does have a point. Im mixed, my father's parents are black, they grew up during the civil rights era, and experienced that hatred first hand, and have still managed to be successful in life, but one thing ill never forget my grandpa telling my uncle "even if you make it in life, the white man will still see you as a n----r"...and he was so right. An ignorant white man will always look down on a black person even if that black person is more successful in life, and will do anything to belittle them.
edit on 13-5-2015 by 8fl0z because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

I live in the South, but I have also lived in states that are more incline to other races, like from California to NY, ect.

I have to say that it wasn't until I came to the south that I realized what racism was, but the crazy thing is that it was not against black Americans but the whites in the city I live that is mostly African American dominated.

I never heard anybody before I came to the south said that been of white pigmentation she didn't had a particular job because of her skin color.

yes I witness that same comment many, many times around, the interesting thing is that those that hold positions of power in my local city and are Black Americans and are found to be as corrupted as their white counterparts when it comes to power, I guess color it doesn't matter.

BTW I have never been mistreated for been Latina any where I have been so far in all the years that I have been traveling and living in the US

Sometimes I wonder is the issue of race is an excuse, but I know better, racism exist but is not limited to one portion of the population against the other only and is very much within the same races also, we all have bias.

I can attest to this personally. I am white and worked in south Dallas several years ago (Oak Cliff). I was in a mall that whites were very few and I had a hard time being waited on in restaurants and fast food places. My store was robbed the first month I was there. The security guard laughed and said because I was the new "white" manager and was a target. The second month my car was broken into.

After much frustration and a little fear, I transferred to another area.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

I'm unsure what your getting at, but I never once said racism is over. I have seen it on both sides of the fence. My comment was directed towards Michelle's speech and thats it. In the end we all bleed red. Anyone that is racist are ignorant and close-minded.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

People make life tough. People bully people for all kinds of stupid reasons. It sucks, but it happens. I've been teased for looking European (or 'wog') because I'm 1/4 Polish. I'm 100% white and 3/4 Australian, born in Australia to Australian parents, and even I’ve been picked on by an insignificant minority of idiots for being racially different (and I'm not even that different).

So what? It used to bother me before I knew any better. But I quickly realized in my oversensitive teenage years that some people just like to pick on others, and whatever excuses they use for doing so are completely irrelevant and secondary to their primary intention. They don't care about whatever it is they use to get under your skin, they just want to temporarily inflate their own illusion of self-confidence by attempting to reduce the confidence in others. The vast majority of racists and bullies fall into this category of emotional vampirism.

The remaining clowns who genuinely believe in their own malicious rubbish (like the KKK for example) are just radicalized fools too stupid to see any deeper into the world than its distorted surface (or any deeper into human beings than their skin, in this case). Who seriously cares what people like that think? Unless they're coming at you with a pitchfork, why even give them the courtesy of your focused attention? They show you no courtesy whatsoever, so why should you indulge their ignorance and implicitly validate their infantile opinions?

Radicalized terrorists hate people from Western civilization (regardless of their color), and yet most rational Westerners don't let that influence their emotions because terrorists are psychopathic lunatics who've lost their grip on reality and forfeited their right to be taken seriously when they began behaving like primeval barbarians with no regard for the sanctity of human life. So why then do we afford racists the valuable luxury of our emotional indulgence? Are they not psychopathic lunatics who've lost their grip on reality also?

I mean, what’s next? Are we going to start worrying about what animals might think of us? Because there’s only a small gap of evolutionary progress between an animal and a racist (psychologically speaking, at least). Wait... is that racist of me to say? Am I being racist against racists? Who cares, right? Exactly. If we don’t care about racists’ feelings, then why should we let our feelings be affected by racists?

In any case, I'm not saying that the onus of emotional responsibility lies solely on the victim of emotional abuse, but in most situations the victim decides the degree to which their emotions can be affected by others (be it consciously or subconsciously). So if you truly want to end the negative social impact of racism and prejudice, then stop reacting to it like a rational problem and start seeing it for the mentally-retarded childish nonsense that it is. By giving racists’ the power to affect your emotions by getting angry or upset you’re only feeding them the very same energy that they require in order to maintain their futile belief systems.

People are far too sensitive and self-conscious these days. Don't feed racism (or any cult of radicalized belief for that matter) by reacting to it emotionally, and you won't give it the sustenance it depends on in order to survive. A racist expression only becomes validated once someone acknowledges it as a valid thought or opinion borne of a rational mind. I'm not saying to ignore the issue altogether, I'm just saying to stop letting it bother you on an emotional level. You wouldn’t let a stranger invade your personal space without justified resistance, so why let them invade your emotional space so freely? Especially when guarding your emotional space is far more easily achieved (and arguably more important) than guarding your physical space! You have to let the racist into your head like a Trojan Horse before they can even affect it. So stop letting them in, and you stop the source of their illusory power and effectively starve them of what they most desperately crave: validation.

We are human beings endowed with the fleeting & invaluable gift of creative conscious awareness - do we really want to waste that gift on mundane trivial crap like this? Personally, I have better things to do than seek the acceptance and approval of under-evolved beings like racists and bullies. I couldn't care less what rubbish comes out of their ignorant mouths even if I tried (and I try all the time). And politicians? Pfft. The only thing I care less about than a racist’s thoughts and opinions are puppet politician’s thoughts and opinions. And Michelle isn’t even a politician – she’s the wife of a politician. She's essentially just an ordinary woman who is now famous because her husband is a celebrity. It's like Kim and Kanye all over again, except that the topic of debate is politics & social injustice; not her ass. But I digress.

Anyway, I pretty much wrote all of this pointless refutation to simply say that I truly don’t care (and neither should you). I mean come on everybody, are we really going to keep pretending like this issue isn't as utterly stupid as it is ancient? Can’t we find a way to acknowledge that racism is a primitive behaviour exhibited by primitive beings that are unworthy of our emotional indulgence?

As old mate once said, ‘Forgive them, for they know not what they do’. And if they do know what they do, then you should only pity them more. It is a sad life indeed that is preoccupied by the futile discrimination of biological superfluities. Racists may not experience the terrible emotional subjugation of their abused victims, but their own inherent punishment is in their consequential inability to perceive the collective beauty of life and humanity.

It may not seem like it on the surface when seen from a subjective emotional perspective. But look closer from an intellectually objective perspective, and you will see that they are the ones who are really missing out; they are the real victims. Those who let racists and other types of bullies affect them are merely victims of their own susceptibility to emotional sensitivity, which is a profound virtue when cultivated with carefulness and wisdom. But those who are racist are victims of their own weak minds, corrupted by ignorance and stunted by their deep susceptibility to manipulation and dogmatic indoctrination, which can never be a virtue. They are the real victims here, have no doubt; though I have no sympathy for them.

I know this is essentially an impractical esoteric appraisal of a real and practical problem, but sometimes it takes a transcendent perspective to observe a complex situation such as racial prejudice for the simple idiocy that it is. I'm not black, so I know I can't speak with authority on the issue of racial victimization. But I am a human being, so I can speak with authority on the issue of human stupidity. And that's all this is.

If every one of us would take time to think deeply & carefully about the world from the perspective of a conscious observer as opposed to the perspective of 'poor little me', then a lot of the world's sociological problems would solve themselves. But we're addicted to controversy, and we find solace in the victim mentality, so that probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

edit on 13/5/2015 by TheAnarchist because: ~

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

However, there will remain a hard core, who will stay where they are all their lives, never trying to better themselves while all the while happily blaming white society for keeping them down.

That I agree with and people like Al Sharpton who drive the racial divide. What I am saying, Al Sharpton is no civil rights leader! He is a shake down artist.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

Dude, there is something wrong with your comprehension skill, i never even suggested anything close to that, especially when i explicitly said patrol the white areas just as much as the black ones in a rebuttal post to your own.

Eh your just putting in your own convoluted ideas that you heard around the water cooler or whatever... your coming out of left field.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

This kinda needs a link.

and THIS is what people in power speaking to the masses creates, more hate mongering against other cultures/races.

www.washingtontimes.com...

By Kellan Howell - The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 12, 2015

In response to widespread backlash on social media, Boston University officials are now condemning an incoming professor for racially-charged comments she made on Twitter.

Saida Grundy, an incoming assistant professor of sociology and African-American studies, came under fire this weekend for a slew of Tweets she made blasting “white masculinity.”

In recent weeks Ms. Grundy has tweeted that “white masculinity is THE problem for America’s colleges,” white men are a “problem population,” and that she avoids shopping in white-owned businesses.
edit on 5/13/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Can you say 'DOUBLE STANDARD'?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
First "Lady" Chewbacca yapping 'bout dem evil white debbils again. It appears that all the blacks are capable of is blaming whites for their shortcomings. It will never change. She should address the overwhelming amount of black on white violent crimes.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

She's already a cartoon of herself.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8fl0z
As much as I can't stand race baiting and the media induced race war that's ongoing, and the fact that racism is still an issue, she does have a point. Im mixed, my father's parents are black, they grew up during the civil rights era, and experienced that hatred first hand, and have still managed to be successful in life, but one thing ill never forget my grandpa telling my uncle "even if you make it in life, the white man will still see you as a n----r"...and he was so right. An ignorant white man will always look down on a black person even if that black person is more successful in life, and will do anything to belittle them.

You know its attitudes like your G pas and ignorant other ethnicities that perpetuate this BS. Its time to stop that and actually judge a person by their actions. INDIVIDUALLY not as a WHOLE ETHNICITY

ALso its not just "whites" who use that term and see everyone of them the same. Try japanese,arabs,and others as well.

IGNORANCE KNOWS NO COLOR. tell your G pa i said that and see if he agrees.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Rather than discussion all that is wrong is the commencement speech not meant to inspire? Atleast this portion of the speech was not inspiring but rather depressing, true or not true...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

SEE proof she WAS a MAN!!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
All they are doing is dividing the country even more. They need to stop living in the past.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join