It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stream: David Duchovny’s debut folk-rock album, Hell or Highwater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

This week, X-Files star David Duchovny unveils his debut album, Hell or Highwater, through ThinkSay Records. Fans can stream the LP in its entirety below via Spotify.

The 12-track record marks the actor’s first foray into music. It also follows his first novel, Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale, and the announcement that he’ll be returning to The X-Files as Agent Fox Mulder.

Article with Spotify link to stream

Duchovny picked up the guitar just a few years ago, learning how to play The Flaming Lips’ “Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots”, and eventually became interested in the notion of blending poetry with music.

I thought some folks would be interested! I LOVE that Flaming Lips song and am not surprised he was inspired! If he continues on with music, hopefully his music will take on a more psychedelic vibe like The Flaming Lips

edit on 12-5-2015 by raedar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm pretty scared to say it but....I love this so far. Buying it now.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

My Life can't become anymore like a dream.. (He says this now...) Haha..
I've somehow avoided ever watching the XFiles except a few episodes when I was younger. Randomly got netflix and started watching them last week..(3 seasons in) I've been thinking about that show a lot, and I start wondering about David.. And of course I can't help but see this thread as soon as I wake up..

Now I'm stuck listening to David Duchovny sing "When the Time Comes."

I am waiting to watch X Files, but I'm trapped now..

Not sure why I'm so obsessed..

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Great find! I really like this.Thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Well that's surprised me. He actually wasn't bad!!! But it seems to me he is trying rather hard to mimic Bob Dylan.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Lol and the music is pretty sappy so your love will only grow hahaha!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I watched several episodes when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I missed quite a few episodes and most of the last few seasons because, well, I had better things to do. So, I decided to watch every episode from the beginning on Netflix. I am nearing the end of season 3 and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Not just for the stories, but it's fun to see the state of technology back then. I believe it's one of the first shows where the characters consistently use cell phones. There is an episode that centers around emails and chat rooms too.

Also, I have read that there may be a boxset release of the entire X-Files remastered in widescreen HD on bluray coming. I might pick it up if it's a decent price. I foresee it's release coinciding with the new X-Files episodes they are working on.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I got more of a Jacob Dylan vibe (Bob Dylan's son from The Wallflowers). I play music and have recorded and performed, etc, and can say that for me it took me quite a while to come into my own sound rather than sound like what I was listening to / learning to.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Back in the day we used to have viewing parties at my house, but I haven't watched since then.

So lately I've been going through watching all of the alien/ufo/abduction episodes.

Maybe I'll start again and watch them all.

I just love it!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yeah, the episodes dealing with the aliens are known as the "Mytharc" episodes. I may go back after I finish all the episodes and re-watch just the mytharc episodes in order. They are the most interesting to me but there are quite a few "monster-of-the-week" episodes that I have enjoyed.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
a reply to: Greathouse

I got more of a Jacob Dylan vibe (Bob Dylan's son from The Wallflowers). I play music and have recorded and performed, etc, and can say that for me it took me quite a while to come into my own sound rather than sound like what I was listening to / learning to.

That is a good comparison. I did not hear David singing through his nose like Bob Dylan.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Stream: David Duchovny’s debut folk-rock album, Hell or Highwater

Good melodies, hooks, fair vocals, good lyrics....I just wonder why he didn't put together a kickass backup band? He could afford it! That was some of the most uninspiring studio band BS Ive ever heard. I'd rather hear a teenager on a beat up 6stg play with passion than a studio musician, bored and playing tired old licks and progressions for a paycheck. At least thats the way it sounded to me. Cudos to Duchovny for putting it out there.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar I love this song and it's really not my type of music. Thank you for posting it! Going to spotify now.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just Finished the whole album lol... I may play it again when I get back. It's surprisingly good.

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I watched several episodes when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I missed quite a few episodes and most of the last few seasons because, well, I had better things to do. So, I decided to watch every episode from the beginning on Netflix. I am nearing the end of season 3 and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Not just for the stories, but it's fun to see the state of technology back then. I believe it's one of the first shows where the characters consistently use cell phones. There is an episode that centers around emails and chat rooms too.

Also, I have read that there may be a boxset release of the entire X-Files remastered in widescreen HD on bluray coming. I might pick it up if it's a decent price. I foresee it's release coinciding with the new X-Files episodes they are working on.

The technology is hilarious.. It made me feel strange.. It's I've been around cell phones and newer computers and seeing phones with chords and people smoking inside their offices. It's like my old life that had those old technologies is a dream almost.. I forgot how different it was.

For me the weirdest part is the entire show, all the sub plots.. It's everything I've been thinking about lately.. I've been on this crazy path.. An episode will start and I am like oh this one is going to be about god.. And it is, and then I am like oh this character knows what I know, the Show is telling the truth!! And then that same character has to say my name in a sentence I was wondering about that day lol..

Anyway, it just seems like there may be real info in that show.

When I read the article saying there would be 6 new episodes coming out in January 2016, I got excited and then got let down.. Hold on let me explain.. I was excited and then I misread a quote from David about the episodes.. He described them as "some sterilized episodes and some one off monster stories.. " (is how I read it lol.. )

Had to re read serialized..

edit on 12-5-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Item on the bucket list... making music..... and sell it?

top topics

join