It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online ID stolen yesterday. Anyone else?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
My sibling's ID was stolen once and that led to all sorts of problems. It taught me to keep a low profile online. I am not on FB, nor do I do online banking or business. I even got rid of my credit cards.

Google notified me this morning that someone had signed in from another city using my ID. THAT has never happened to me before. Now however, other than replacing my so-called "strong PW" in YT and Google, I'm at a bit of a loss. I use Wifi now. So other than YT and Google, my ISP, my only other pw account is on ATS.

Does any one have suggestions or calming words for me? I'm wondering if I was the one hacked or maybe it was Google or YT? If it were not for the 2PM warning yesterday I wouldn't mention it, but I'm interested to see if it happened to others as well. Can I or should I change my ATS password as well or do I have to start all over from scratch?

Thanks in advance for your input. This is a tad nerve-wracking.
edit on 12-5-2015 by aboutface because: typos, argggh

edit on 12-5-2015 by aboutface because: typo. Need coffee

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
You can easily change your ATS password by going to the drop down arrow on the icon bar at the top. Click on account and on the left hand side you can enter your current password and a new password.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

Thank you.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

As to whether or not there was a massive cyber attack yesterday by ISIS, there was an anonymous message from the Islamic State hosted yesterday... i don't have the link. That was the only terrorist attack..... Unless your NSA...... your not NSA are you?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

Ha! I'm not NSA but am probably on their lists. Who isn't?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

We have a crime report here and its full of stolen ID and purchases online. Your accounts have been compromised, probably because of man in the middle style attacks.

By the way, that can happen with WIFI too, can't it? Others know better than I what to do about it.

Privacy and security, whats that?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I tried to change my ISP password but here's the message I got: "We are currently experiencing problems accessing your account and therefore cannot complete your request at this time. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try again later."

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

That was probably a scammer and not google, they don't care where you login from.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Please clarify? You think the email I received from Google was a scam? But how can I be logged in to the same place from 2 different cities?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

Please clarify? You think the email I received from Google was a scam? But how can I be logged in to the same place from 2 different cities?

Unless you initiated the conversation directly with google, you don't know who you are communicating with.

Call google directly and explain your situation, I am sure they deal with it all the time.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
perhaps a keylogger. only way i know to avoid that is to use a browser that has an anti-keylogger add-on. firefox has one called keylogger beater

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

yeah i figured that out years ago, when i received a pay pal email, but when i moused over the link, it wasn't a pay pal address. i already knew something was odd cause i didn't have a pay pal account. hehe

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
address for keylogger beater on firefox's website
addons.mozilla.org...

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Thanks. That's good info. How does it explain that my own ISP is having trouble accessing my account though?

edit on 12-5-2015 by aboutface because: typo

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. This city of the hackers origin was somewhere in China. I got a follow-up note a day later (if memory serves). From what I could tell ... and all the correspondence I was looking at (and checking headers) ... it was legit.

Funny thing ... I use a very strong password. Just goes to show you ... be careful what you're doing on-line.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

are you sure this "warning" wasn't spam email? I get them all the time. UPS and American Airlines (and Paypal, too) seem to be the worst. I always have some kind of package that can't be delivered, or some kind of exotic account issue to deal with. I have no account with either 3 of them, though.....

And if you open the attachment, you get a virus. Ive never done that....but im not stupid enough to be fooled that easily.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

I tried to change my ISP password but here's the message I got: "We are currently experiencing problems accessing your account and therefore cannot complete your request at this time. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try again later."

Hopefully you've resolved it, by now. If not call your ISP direct. Let us know what becomes of the issue so others will know what to do…

regards,

intrptr

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

My best suggestion is to avoid Google. This sort of thing happens, though. To detect similar issues with my Yahoo email, I added my own email address to the address book, and once, this paid off. The account was "hacked" through a Yahoo site overseas, as in, from their IP address, and spam sent out. I got a copy, since my address was listed as well, so I could correct it right away.

I would be sure you have nothing on your system, first. Then, if you feel the need, sure, change all passwords, just to be safe.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm leaning strongly on the genuine side of things about the google email.

I've been off line for the past number of days and I attribute it to my ISP forcing me to upgrade my modem. You know the little blue spinning circle when you're trying to connect to something? Well that was standard fare for everything after my last post in this thread. I've since upgraded the modem and all is peachy keen except for the stress it put me under. Why not warn people about this, aboutface rants? God knows they send me more than enough bloody marketing emails. They could easily have warned me that they were no longer supporting that particular technology as of a certain date.

So I get set up today and am back online, and upon accessing my gmail folder I get another email along the same line as the first, except that it was reporting on my own activity since setting up my modem.

Go figure.

PS there was no attachment.

edit on 20-5-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I used to love ytube so in order to avoid google I would have to avoid YT. I watch YT less and less but am not quite weaned off it altogether. It was the first time I ever had any problem with my google account. Thanks for your advice. I'm wondering if I did pick up something, as my home page has changed to MSN and I cannot get rid of it. Either it's caused by my ISP (which I strongly suspect) or a virus but all scans come out ok.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join