It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 3 years since I quit smoking...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Nearly 3 years since I quit smoking, I broke down and bought a pack. I needed the stress relief that only a cigarette could bring. It is certainly a placebo effect at this point because nicotine has been out of my system for few years now, but man did it help and hurt at the same time.

It helped me to relax enough to get my shnipnits together after an escalation of stressors. However, it started a fight with my husband. I am just looking at it a a very short term, keep my sane while I am forced to deal with things that test the edges of my sanity.

Has anyone tried going back to being a 1/4 at a time 1 cig a day smoker for a week or so and just drop the habit again?

You see, I loved smoking. But I had to choose between smoking and something I wanted more than smoking. So, smoking lost. I transitioned through vaping, which made it less difficult.

I guess I am just feeling guilt over how good it still feels after all this time. Any smokers or former smokers care to knock any sense into me. People who have never smoked are welcome to weigh in, just know that unless you are an exceptionally understanding person, than your words will carry less weight than someone who has actually been there.
edit on 5/12/2015 by calstorm because: grammar and punctuation.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Don't do it.

Smoking comes in 3's.

3 days, 3 months, 3 years.

It's the final part of your addiction actually. You should either move to a NON smoking nicotine alternative, or find something else that does the trick.

Nothing is worth putting yourself back in that position, the slave of a 3 inch piece of paper.

~Tenth

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Logically, I know you are correct, emotionally? Well, just looking for a way to get through a tough time. I need to get my rational mind in gear and reign in some of these emotions.
edit on 5/12/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It's not the smoking ... it's the nicotine.

If you quit for three years you should be able to stop NOW. You get past one craving at a time. Deal with it ... and push through.

Do you really want to smell like an ashtray again? Do you want people to snicker behind your back?

Is that enough sense knocking yet?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

If you need nicotine don't go back to smoking move forward with vaping , I gave up tobacco 2 years ago and have had no problems as I vape.

Tobacco is no longer necessary.

Good luck.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Yes, because it isn't the nicotine am after, I am past the nicotine addiction and I don't care to get addicted to it again. Like i said was looking for the placebo effect, but i know that is a dangerous road to go down. The reinforcement i have received so far is helping me to kick my self in the but and tell myself not to be so stupid. Thank you.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Your welcome, calstorm. I quit for eight years and backslid. Ah well ... another opportunity to quit is fast approaching.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I have never smoked in my life but my grandpa did, he was an accountant and smoked several packs a day for years.

One day when my older brother was like 3, there was an ad in the tv against smoking saying something like people that smoke are fools, so he went and told my grandpa fool, in shock he asked why he called him like that, and my bro said because he smoke.

Grandpa said you are right I am a fool, and since then he dint smoke 1 until he died 20 years latter.

will power is all you need, do you have children? do it for them

edit on 12-5-2015 by Indigent because: dd's

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

I was able to quit cold turkey a couple of times for reasonably long periods but, ultimately just got better and better tobacco.

If I am not going to quit, I might as well enjoy it. Therefore, if I am ever unhappy with a smoke, I put it out. It is a lot easier to do with hand rolled cigarettes at about 10 cents a piece instead of 50 cents. I would hate myself if I finished a crappy butt that I wasn't enjoying, that is destructive addiction.

Also, drink a glass of water to snub a craving.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Quitting is hard.. on and off for many years.. I wonder if i could switch to smoking a quality cigar once a week, and not inhaling, just puff-puff-puffing... less harmful i think...

Smoking is bad, mmkay?

By the way, i smoke "natural tobacco" and hand roll it,, its so strong, that i need to smoke less, than the regular cancer sticks..
edit on 12-5-2015 by solve because: btw

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Wow, not sure if I'm happy to see this thread today, or sad. It's been 5 weeks quit for me. And I honestly am having a hard time. But when I decided to, I had a chest X ray, and it scared me.
I'm not sure how old you are, but throw them away. Today!

Get gum. Keep a stack of paper handy, to shred when you are frustrated. Try toothpicks. Hell, vape if you need to.

Just NEVER quit quitting. They aren't worth your health.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I Started at the age of 18. I paused for 6 solid months before i stated again. Now, at 25, I have quit, I have made the metal choice to not smoke cigarettes until the "urge" is gone (which i haven't felt in over a month since quitting). I also have a reason to quit...that usually helps too.

Honestly, If your not mentally prepared to quit, it's not gonna happen.(U, per example gave in.)

You should feel guilty. U upset your family with a promise you broke. I am being harsh outta love. Throw away that pack of cigs.

Get into a fun hobby. Mine for example is Paintballing, i need to be fast and cigarettes will slow me down and get shot!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The problem with being a smoker today is what eventually made me quit two years ago. With the bans in public and in the workplace the poor smoker spends of half of their life wishing they could smoke and the other half wishing they didn't have too. Nicotine is highly addictive but is also metabolised very quickly and leaves system your in a short time so although there is a short period of withdrawal the phsycological dependence lasts longer.

Smoking gets the smoker both ways cause the delivery system forms a habit so when quitting the smoker has to fight habit and the physical addiction. I used to know a guy who used to do a deliberately forced and effeminate sounding cough if anyone lit up with in two hundred meters. I would like to meet him again because he used to say he could not stand the smell, but I have since found out that his new wife was a tyrant who would only agree to marry him if he quit. So he was in fact jealous and resentful and I now no that smoking smells just the same as it does after you have quit.

If you think about it the cravings aren't that bad, they are nothing like the heroin addict experiences and the smoker can frequently go for long periods without suffering any of the physical withdrawal symptoms the heroin user feels, for instance you can sleep for eight hours, get up have your breakfast and drive to work before you have your first cigarette quite easily. The first one of the day or after a meal tastes no different than any of the other cigarettes you smoke, it is purely the relief of a relatively mild craving after a period of abstinence.

Sorry for the long post, have you ever tried reading Allen Carr's (not the tv personally) Easy Way To Quit?. There are no scare tactics and you can even smoke while you are doing the program. It has worked for literally millions of people.
edit on 12-5-2015 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I can post this but if not a mod will remove it. :/
If you need to chill now and then why not try vaping cannabis or evening eating it? It is much better than smoking cigs. Much better.
You don't need to get blazed, just have enough to take the edge off.
I'm on the verge of quiting roll ups. Sick of the things, too bloody expensive and make me feel terrible.
Please don't start smoking again.
Good luck!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Wow, not sure if I'm happy to see this thread today, or sad. It's been 5 weeks quit for me. And I honestly am having a hard time. But when I decided to, I had a chest X ray, and it scared me.
I'm not sure how old you are, but throw them away. Today!

Get gum. Keep a stack of paper handy, to shred when you are frustrated. Try toothpicks. Hell, vape if you need to.

Just NEVER quit quitting. They aren't worth your health.

(Dislaimer - this just has to be said, I am not trying to pick on you)

I am certainly speaking in full-on devil's advocate mode but...

Doesn't a chest X-ray do about as much damage as smoking for a fairly long period?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I quit three years ago also and I also used a vaporizer to help ease the transition. About a month ago, while at a bar drinking, I had an urge to have a smoke. Thankfully, the urge passed and I didn't have a cigarette. It was the first time I had an urge in three years. All I can say is I would feel very guilty if I did. My advice is throw the pack away and move on. You were three years strong why go back now? Wish you all the best.a reply to: calstorm

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Smoke Smoke Smoke 'till this life smoke you out

No i'm kidding, you're out of cigs so stay out of them especially if you have kids.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Both my parents died of lung cancer...they were heavy smokers...because of their example I never chose to smoke and I have surpassed both their life spans.

Smoking is not healthy...ruins your health...and is expensive...isn't your health worth more than a lousy cigarette?

Also...think of all the people you love...and who love you...why shorten your life span? Aren't you worth more than that?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

New years day was three years for me. Cold turkey. Just bring to mind the reasons why you quit in the first place. Those reasons are still true. Be strong. OP too.
Smoking killed my mother. I can't see her anymore. If you have children think about that. They will miss you. They will be heartbroken.
Ultimately it's for your own health but if that doesn't boost your resolve maybe thinking how your loved ones will feel at your funeral will. I know that's harsh but this is really very serious and maybe we should leave the candy coating at the door.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp
LOL never thought about it that way. But 30 years of smoking.......

Pick on me all you want, if it keeps me quit.

OP, I know its hard, but I do hope you throw them away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join