It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abby Martin - Angering the “American Sniper” cult

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
WHAT language is spoke ALL over the ENTIRE world on aviation frequencies?
WHY?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

English...
Because Britannia Rules The Waves!

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

And do we celebrate teachers, bus drivers, bank clerks for doing their jobs? Why to we celebrate trained killers. Citizen soldiers in time of need perhaps (as our republic was designed) but trained professional killers? There is nothing to celebrate killing from hiding.

The skill of an accurate long shot perhaps, maybe even neccessary at times.

You want to see a great citizen soldier sniper movie that doesn't glory killing try "The Enemy at the Gates"

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Mediocrity is its own issue.
Sports and entertainment are at the top for your pleasures.
WAR is to be won,that is what is celebrated not what happens in one. AND anytime you want to dual with ANYONE go ahead and film it. WE aren't in the buisness of "FAIR" we are in the buisness of "WIN" Not some puerile idealized slapping match .
Murder them or they murder me. Pretty much what is done on YOUR behalf.
We just happen to win alot in them and of course LUCKY YOU for it.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I seen the movie..it was pretty good.
The focus, in my opinion, wasn't about him being some sort of he-man. It was a focus on a need for attention to PTSD sufferers. Not just of the ones you are closest with, but of all suffering soldiers coming home after dealing with the mess that is iraq/afghanistan.

I dont know why this is even a slightly controversial film. I found it a sad reminder that just because a person comes home from war, doesn't mean their mind came home also.

As someone who tries to bring awareness and understanding of PTSD, I would just like to say that it's not a new thing. Iraq and Afghanistan wasn't the beginning of this disorder. there are records as far back as WWI of soldiers with problems. She'll shock, combat fatigue, jungle fever, a whole bunch of different names. Vietnam vets were the first to be noticed due to flashbacks That they talked about. The older veterans never talked about it, they were taught to keep things like that to themselves.
On topic, snipers have there place in war, if you don't believe that, check the history of war. They hide, yes, doesn't make them any less of a warrior than the infantry soldier next to them. Snipers are a ....different bunch. They have to be. It's their job. You people putting them down should actually read what a sniper does. Crawling through enemy territory sometimes alone, just to get the shot. Read the book called white feather, it's about Carlos hathcock a Vietnam marine sniper. It'll open your eyes.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Abby Martin can say whatever the hell she wants. It a FREE country.... isn't it?????

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: wasaka

It's a celebration of a warrior not a social issue...until someone comes along to try to make i one.

"Warriors" don't hide in the bushes from their enemies.

guerrilla tactics were employed almost exclusively by the rebels during the US revolutionary war against the british.
I am glad your mindset was not in charge..else we would all be giving taxes to the crown still

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious.
Sun Tzu

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Abby Martin can say whatever the hell she wants. It a FREE country.... isn't it?????

Did someone say her opinions were forbidden to be spoken?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

NO ,the thread is another lame narrative to assess traditional American values as overbering and incorrect.

I have no clue what "traditional american values" are. I know what my values are, and my familys..probably different than you and yours.
hard to pin down what a traditional national value is when the country is founded on a melting pot of a global society each contributing something new and different to forever change things.
So, I guess you are simply saying, your traditional values you are wanting to impose on a nation..or something.

WE ARE exceptional in MANY ways.

No..we aren't. some people in the nation no doubt are exceptional..and some are exceptionally terrible
As a nation, we are not number 1 in anything of note outside of having the largest portion of the global wealth. Everything else we are 1 in is not something you want to admit (having the worlds largest prison population is not a source of pride, its a source of embarassment)

Its ok to enjoy the country you live in. Its great to want to be a force to improve it somehow in whatever way you can..but lets not put blinders on and suggest this nation is somehow far more remarkable than plenty of other nations out there. there is simply no evidence to support such a claim.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You'd have to be a complete dunce not to agree with just about everything that's said in that Martin/Rogan podcast. Common sense ain't so common.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

Did someone say her opinions were forbidden to be spoken?

Well who the hell is threatening to rape and kill this young woman, just for her beliefs?? What savages!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

So according to you the US leads at NOTHING.
Entertainment, scientific break throughs, military prowse NOTHING.

Me thinks you are (as usual) NOT the most informed source regarding the question apparently .

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Actually in the next podcast with sam Harris a couple of the things Abby said were proven to be alarmist nonsense. So I guess call me a dunce.
edit on 12-5-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

So according to you the US leads at NOTHING.
Entertainment, scientific break throughs, military prowse NOTHING.

Me thinks you are (as usual) NOT the most informed source regarding the question apparently .

Innovation:
We rank number 6
Bloomburg chart

Entertainment:
You need to specify..are you saying who shoots the most movies, or which country is considered the most "fun"
a Badoo survey concluded that Argentina was top global place for fun, raking 14.8 "fun days" a month average
Weeeee

If however you are seeking out a more specific area, say movies, then India has the US beat
movies

So whats left then..oh, military.
and I stated that...the things we are number 1 for are hardly things to be proud of or makes us special. we can bomb the hell out of countries 10 times over what anyone else can do...so what? what does that mean? is that our culture? just a bunch of thugs?

Me thinks you are simply ignorant. For god sakes, take a moment out of your day from flag waving to check your facts verses your feels.

edit on 13-5-2015 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

America bashing is popular now but our ability to adapt will prove our way.
REGARDLESS of how YOU feel .
It has happened TIME and time again and we will see the pendulum swing back to the right eventually ,as is nominal in history.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

America bashing is popular now but our ability to adapt will prove our way.
REGARDLESS of how YOU feel .
It has happened TIME and time again and we will see the pendulum swing back to the right eventually ,as is nominal in history.

1) America bashing is not recognising the issues in the country. if my car has a flat tire, I am not car bashing by pointing it out. The fact that you see facts as somehow bashing is...weird.

2) how I feel about our future is optimistic, because I think overall there is a trend towards a slow recognition of our dilemmas..now, how we proceed to correct these issues is being debated on, but it is now acceptable to start admitting we aren't some supernaturally perfect beings..the mindset that we are by birthright exceptional due to the bit of sand we were fortunate enough to be born on is passing away and now its a focus more on are we living up to the potential

3) History shows that hyper-patriotism (I am special because I was born in Rome/Greece/Great Britain/etc) leads to destruction. Longevity comes with adaptation, not ignorance.

I care because I want this country to be a good place.
You care because you see the country as a great place.
you have a belief, I have a goal.
Beliefs can be shattered through reality.
I recommmend goals..it sits on a more stable foundation.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Who told you BIRTHRIGHT insures exceptionalism?
DEEDS only do so.
I am a pragmatist not a fan of something like TRENDS and especially not popular culture.
HISTORY is the best indicator until something that hasn'r EXISTED before comes along ,then it's all on those who sustain it to DEFINE it wether based on models of the passed or facts as they happen now.
I care because I was trained ,raised and worked at the risk of DEATH to maitain the country.
THAT trumps any progressive "suggestions" as clearly as water is wet.
I welcome changes and curse a hijacking.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Who told you BIRTHRIGHT insures exceptionalism?

When you initially said "we are exceptional in many ways", who exactly were you discussing? either it is people or nation, and neither is accurate in any significant positive way according to facts I presented.

I care because I was trained ,raised and worked at the risk of DEATH to maitain the country.
THAT trumps any progressive "suggestions" as clearly as water is wet.
I welcome changes and curse a hijacking.

Thank you for your service first off. If you went off with the intent that you could help out the nation, thats great.
If you went off with the intent to legally murder someone for fun, then you are scum.
I believe you to be the former. I have met both types.

As far as if going to war somehow trumps movements...umm, no.
The military does not dictate law in the country, nor values. The military is a last resort tool to be used against impending threats. I wont delve into what defines a threat, thats not my area, but warriors make terrible politicians, hense why rarely do you have decorated vets in any real position of authority. different mindset..hard to turn a tool (no insult in the term intended) into a blacksmith. Link

Its hard to truly point at what constitutes "progressive" values anymore. on one side, it is a simple movement towards a technologically driven equal humanist society that rejects the ideas of religious institution, moral legislation, or corporate oligarchy, to a far more fringe version requiring gender role dropping, pro-censorship authoritarian style rule and many flavors in between. It has become as meaningless as terms like: nazi, harassment, sexist, righty, lefty, etc...basically if you use a word out of context as a insult, then you are using an ineffective word. best to be more articulate.

I appreciate your passion for the country, I think we both want to see this country be the best it can be...and chances are we agree on a lot of ways it can be (and no doubt disagree in several areas also). I think its best when facts are presented, and goals are established within the understanding of the facts.
Fact is, we are slacking where it counts as both a nation, and individuals. We can do better in our sciences, innovation, healthcare, infrustructure, etc. We got tons of money, I think its time the nation discusses the next 100 years with a understanding of what an actual 100 year timeframe will look like given technological progression and 3rd world countries rapidly coming online.

<< 1   >>

join