It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigel Farage stays as UKIP leader. Opinions asked on this decision.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Reminds me of when you go see a rock band ... at the end of the show the band walks off
The Audience clap and stomp their feet and shout More More More More
And their hero's come back on stage for another number

A kind of face saving exercise methinks ...
UKIP is a one man show
Sorta like the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

A most impressive one man band if that really were the case.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

He's good for the party, doesn't dissemble and obfuscate.

The better Ukip does, the better uk politics will be in general. A choice between red and blue Is no choice at all.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I think some people are seriously over thinking this...he said he would resign...he tendered his resignation and it was rejected. His party wants him, his voters overwhelmingly want him...it's not as if anyone who supports him feels lied to or cheated or that anyone as been affected negatively by going back on his resignation. It just seems like...well...errrmmm...the sensible thing to do.
I fail to see, how being a man of his word in this instance at the expense of what his party and voters want would make him a better man.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: nonspecific
do you not feel that as he said he would resign if he lost and now has not done makes a mockery of his stance?
How would it?

He did resign.
His party asked him to stay.
He accepted.
It's just Party political democracy as I see it right now, until or unless new evidence becomes available which suggests otherwise of course.

*Edit*
Off topic, so I'm not going into the story, but I have resigned twice in my life and stayed on after being asked to during unexpected negotiations.
Farage is a human being as I am. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until/unless I see anything to draw me towards changing my mind.
Same as I do all human beings.

So as a rational thinker do you feel that this is an honest decision or do you feel that it was predetermined?

Do you honestly think that after his earlier statement either Farage or the party had any expectation of him stepping down?

As said earlier I do not think for one moment that he had any intention of stepping down and I personally think that is a lie.

There I said it, and anyone that thinks it was not a lie although a political one can pipe up now.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Yeah ... Nigel ought to record a song or two ... "I see a blue rosette and want to turn it purple yellow"
and ... "I can't get no satisfaction ... I can't get no voter reaction ..."

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

He's good for the party, doesn't dissemble and obfuscate.

The better Ukip does, the better uk politics will be in general. A choice between red and blue Is no choice at all.

I would personally need more but thats good enough for you I guess.

Because you think it is not a valid reason in my opinion.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logos23
I think some people are seriously over thinking this...he said he would resign...he tendered his resignation and it was rejected. His party wants him, his voters overwhelmingly want him...it's not as if anyone who supports him feels lied to or cheated or that anyone as been affected negatively by going back on his resignation. It just seems like...well...errrmmm...the sensible thing to do.
I fail to see, how being a man of his word in this instance at the expense of what his party and voters want would make him a better man.

So you do not think that he may have made this "promise" knowing that he would not have to act upon it if it came about?

Genuine question by the way?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

As said earlier I do not think for one moment that he had any intention of stepping down and I personally think that is a lie.
Everyone has their own perception of any situation, that helps make an interesting world.
I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they let me or themselves down.

I would put all my money on it that every journalist in the UK would love the scoop of "Farage is a fraud!" and he has been sniffed out more than most people on this island, but so far nothing.
I give him the benefit of the doubt...same as I do all human beings who I don't know.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

My goodness are we really having this discussion!

We have just been saddled with another 5 years of the Tories and your main concern is whether Farage misled by resignation....you gotta be kidding me.

I actually do believe Farage stepped down and intended to stay resigned (the man has had a lot of flak over the years), as others have said the party didn't accept his resignation, because at the heart of it all UKIP is in everyones field of vision like them or loathe them and Farage is vastly repsonsibe for that, if he no longer led, they would be in real trouble.

That said they are already in real trouble, as I said before Farage is battle worn, I think although he will continue to lead, I wonder how long before he runs out of steam..very hard to continue flogging a dead horse without cast iron support and Farage having lost Thanet is not only ego bruised, he also knows that if his own constituency won't give him a seat how is he to conivince the rest of the country...uphill battle from this point.

I think Farage is painfully awaare of the ramifications of last Thursday and although it probably didn't take much convincing, after the referendum I think he will step down.

More importantly omg we need a coup!

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
I can't get no voter reaction ..."
Third party in the UK on percentage of vote is not a really poor reaction to be fair.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

My genuine answer...and I say this as someone who didn't vote for UKIP by the way...is that I think he as more than shown people that he couldn't care less about furthering his public image by being seen to do or say the right thing, so I am inclined to think it wasn't a premeditated stunt.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Everyone has their own perception of any situation, that helps make an interesting world.
I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they let me or themselves down.

I would put all my money on it that every journalist in the UK would love the scoop of "Farage is a fraud!" and he has been sniffed out more than most people on this island, but so far nothing.
I give him the benefit of the doubt...same as I do all human beings who I don't know.

A fair point. As I said I don't know but it smells a bit wrong thats all I can say.

I do not like UKIP and I distrust Farage but up untill now i had respect for them as they stood up and went against the norm.

I just feel that what he has one with this is to take away from what he had left but that's just my opinion.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Yes true ... If there was proportional representation they would have a few more seats to be sure

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
Really glad they rejected his resignation and rightly so.It's not as if the campaign was unsuccessful.
People need to see past the childish MSM slurs against UKIP and Nigel and watch some of his performances in the EU.He takes the slimy, snides to task like no other politician.That's why the current establishment fears him and bad mouths him every chance they get.

I will not argue that but do you not feel that as he said he would resign if he lost and now has not done makes a mockery of his stance?

Will you belive anything he says from now on given that he has shown he will go back on his word if it suits him?

But he didn't go back on his word.He resigned and it was refused.I don't see anything deceitful about it whatsoever.Besides nobody was calling for him to leave and his leadership has been nothing but a success.Obviously it will be used against him by the snides but his supporters will see through the nonsense.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I think the outcome of his resignation and subsequent refusal of it was a predictable outcome.
To give Nigel credit ... He did the honourable thing and in return received a vote of confidence

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Really glad they rejected his resignation and rightly so.It's not as if the campaign was unsuccessful.
People need to see past the childish MSM slurs against UKIP and Nigel and watch some of his performances in the EU.He takes the slimy, snides to task like no other politician.That's why the current establishment fears him and bad mouths him every chance they get.

I will not argue that but do you not feel that as he said he would resign if he lost and now has not done makes a mockery of his stance?

Will you belive anything he says from now on given that he has shown he will go back on his word if it suits him?

But he didn't go back on his word.He resigned and it was refused.I don't see anything deceitful about it whatsoever.Besides nobody was calling for him to leave and his leadership has been nothing but a success.Obviously it will be used against him by the snides but his supporters will see through the nonsense.

I will not argue but do you actaually think that this was not run through before the outcome?

Are you honestly saying that you think that he resigned and then the party begged him to stay?

Do you truley think that this was not discussed as an option beforehand?

I think that you would be in something of a minority if you did not factor this in?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
I think the outcome of his resignation and subsequent refusal of it was a predictable outcome.
To give Nigel credit ... He did the honourable thing and in return received a vote of confidence

Do you really think this?

I ask as maybe It's just me?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Yes I do ... but I think the result was predictable ... Nigel probably knew it too but wanted a reaction ... a vote of confidence
Stuck between a rock and a hard place comes to mind ... He pre empted any calls for resignation
edit on 11-5-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I really fail to see what the problem is.

UKIP members wanted him to stay, so his resignation was refused by the NEC.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join