It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigel Farage stays as UKIP leader. Opinions asked on this decision.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Exactly why I ignore the media in all cases.

I've found myself nodding along to Mr.Farage a few times.

Sometimes we are polar opposites, doesn't mean he isn't spot on in other places.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Ukip are like a biscuit barrel full of fruit loops with just one custard cream at the top , most people like custard creams so Ukip know if they loose their custard cream they'd just be left a barrel of fruit loops.

Mmmm Biscuits

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Ukip are like a biscuit barrel full of fruit loops with just one custard cream at the top , most people like custard creams so Ukip know if they loose their custard cream they'd just be left a barrel of fruit loops.

Mmmm Biscuits
Oh dear, that's the sum total of your political argument here is it?
Oh dear oh dear.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
I call BS.

If he resigned and walked away, what could they do?

Are they going to force him to be leader?

Nope.

The whole thing has been a stunt.

I am glad it's not just me.

I have no problem with him pulling it as long as some of us realise that's what it is.

It's a clever stunt by a politician and it's working so you xould not deny that it is clever.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

If he meant what he said, he'd be gone.

He's not.

I think that says it all.

Remember though, we're here to discuss, and we do all have differing opinions. No need to take things personally.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Mmmm Biscuits

I knid of understanding where your coming from but custard creams are biscuits and fruit loops are ceareal are they not.

It would make more sense if you had semi soggy rich tea and tesco value nice biscuits at the bottom in my opinion.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Oh dear, that's the sum total of your political argument here is it?

What do you disagree with ?
Without the pied piper Ukip would descend into turmoil and chaos which is why they refused to let him step down , I doubt he needed to be persuaded to much but then I suppose its a way for him to go back on his word with some errrr ... honor.

Farage is like most politicians ... not to be trusted.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

What "says it all"?
He resigned, then chose to stay when the party apparently wanted him to stay as leader. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise unless you have something you wish to share? I am always open to change my opinion based on any new evidence.

I'm pleased you present your previous assertions as opinion though, I have no issue and have taken nothing personal.
Any suggestions that I have would be pure invention.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: neformore

What "says it all"?
He resigned, then chose to stay when the party apparently wanted him to stay as leader. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise unless you have something you wish to share? I am always open to change my opinion based on any new evidence.

I'm pleased you present your previous assertions as opinion though, I have no issue and have taken nothing personal.
Any suggestions that I have would be pure invention.

My personal issue with this was that UKIP were supposed to be a different kind of political party.

An alternative to the big 2 and the other one and proud to stand up for what we apparently thought was right.

Given the UK's disallusion with politicians and there apparent lies and backtracking on promises I find it somewhat hard to swallow when Farage promises to quit only to be convinced to stay on?

Again personal opinion and all but it does not bode well for me.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'm over the moon that the NEC rejected his resignation.

Best leader by far of the big parties.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Would you be able to expand on your reasoning for this other than personal happiness?

Maybe some reasons as to why you feel this is a good thing for UK politics?

I am not asking you to justify your reasons just for you to give some so that we can discuss them as reasons as opposed to personal opinion?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Oh Dear! surely you can remember how man y U turn s david cameron has carried out- he's been in an almost continual pirouette since we were first saddled with him! Now, even without being elected he apparently is having boris the dog attend cabinet meetings - we have a bit too much represensation of old etonians in a cabinet that has no reflection whatsoever of the people it is supposed to know, understand and govern.

Now Nigel Farage is a different matter. Yes he did say he would resign, but people like myself begged him not to. Do you realised how many people voted UKIP, yet we have only 1 seat? Farage has a huge following and people like him. Many of those who didn't vote for him have never seen him in action and he is one of the most formidable and clever politicians we have produced in decades. He also has something most of the MP's in parliament have not, he has sat in the EU so is more experienced than men like cameron, clegg and the then milliband. He knows exactly how it works and what and who the pitfalls are. Soft tofts like cameron are bland and mealy mouthed in comparison. Th sooner he is in our parliament the better. We have a policy that gives a huge amount of foreign aid abroad - yet we are being flooded by immigrants, many whom we know absolutely nothing about, until they commit crimes here. Also many have links to terrorist organisations which again will put up the cost of dealing with these people so the true cost of people, who are non EU citizens coming here is never disclosed. Too big a work force is a detrimental to a country as too small a one. There has to be a balance.

Glad to have you back Nigel.

The only good thing about this is that the Scots seem determined to leave the UK. Mind you they might also do a Uturn once the bribery starts to offer them everything each MP ever dreamed of purely in order to keep them in the union - queenie would loose a lot of money if they went and rothschild has his castle up there also. We wait with baited breath because this country will alter drastically and become considerably smaller once scotland departs - please hurry up, love you to death, but want you gone soon as.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

Oh Dear! surely you can remember how man y U turn s david cameron has carried out- he's been in an almost continual pirouette since we were first saddled with him! Now, even without being elected he apparently is having boris the dog attend cabinet meetings - we have a bit too much represensation of old etonians in a cabinet that has no reflection whatsoever of the people it is supposed to know, understand and govern.

Now Nigel Farage is a different matter. Yes he did say he would resign, but people like myself begged him not to. Do you realised how many people voted UKIP, yet we have only 1 seat? Farage has a huge following and people like him. Many of those who didn't vote for him have never seen him in action and he is one of the most formidable and clever politicians we have produced in decades. He also has something most of the MP's in parliament have not, he has sat in the EU so is more experienced than men like cameron, clegg and the then milliband. He knows exactly how it works and what and who the pitfalls are. Soft tofts like cameron are bland and mealy mouthed in comparison. Th sooner he is in our parliament the better. We have a policy that gives a huge amount of foreign aid abroad - yet we are being flooded by immigrants, many whom we know absolutely nothing about, until they commit crimes here. Also many have links to terrorist organisations which again will put up the cost of dealing with these people so the true cost of people, who are non EU citizens coming here is never disclosed. Too big a work force is a detrimental to a country as too small a one. There has to be a balance.

Glad to have you back Nigel.

The only good thing about this is that the Scots seem determined to leave the UK. Mind you they might also do a Uturn once the bribery starts to offer them everything each MP ever dreamed of purely in order to keep them in the union - queenie would loose a lot of money if they went and rothschild has his castle up there also. We wait with baited breath because this country will alter drastically and become considerably smaller once scotland departs - please hurry up, love you to death, but want you gone soon as.

So you do not mind him going back on his word even though you berate others that have done so then?

Also the issues you raise are the same old ones that have been done time and time again but well done for repeatedly banging on the same old point because it is what you think as opposed to answering any questions that may have been asked.

You started your lengthy post with uturns that other politicians have made, a fair point.

Simple question if I may.

Farage said he would step down if he lost.He lost yet has not stepped down.

Yet we are supposed to have faith in him as a man of his word? Really come on.

It was bad before but now he shows just how he is no bettter than any other politician unless you can show me otherwise.

I anticipate your response.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
My personal issue with this was that UKIP were supposed to be a different kind of political party.
It is a different kind of polititical party. It is the only one which stands for independence from the EU.

An alternative to the big 2 and the other one and proud to stand up for what we apparently thought was right.
That may be your perception but I look at UKIP as a party which stands for independence from the EU, not some group hug party any better or worse than all the others on offer last week.

Given the UK's disallusion with politicians and there apparent lies and backtracking on promises I find it somewhat hard to swallow when Farage promises to quit only to be convinced to stay on?
I don't struggle with the same question.
He said he would tender his resignation if he didn't win the seat. He lost the seat then immediately tendered his resignation. The party executive/members decided they wanted him to remain as leader then informed him of such opinion. He then agreed to remain as leader of the party.

Again personal opinion and all but it does not bode well for me.
I'm easy with it until anyone comes up with some evidence or claims of backroom shadiness. There is none at the present time so I'm running with it as it appears so far. Not much of a story.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I didn't berate cameron's U-turns, I merely reminded you of them.

I noticed in your anticipation of my response you neglected to admit that Farage has far better hand-on experience of dealing with the EU than any other Front Bencher in Cameron's bunker.

I believe Farage was genuine in his motive of stepping down because he had not gained a seat, but why can't you accept that he has a huge following of people who admire the man and want him in their parliament?

This is really your problem with Farage. You have to accept that for once Britain has a politician that people actually admire and want - unlike cameron and co whom many hate. Nit picking about something as innocuous as resigning when parliament is full of so many outright liars is laughable.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So if I may put this in my own perspective.

Some people voted for a party that made promises about a better future.

They made big promises regarding seats and also change.

The leader of this party also made a promise that if he faiiled to win his seat he would stand down as leader which is admirable as a leader.

This party got a good amount of votes but a single seat in the first past the post system.

Them the people that voted complained about the system of voting that we are agreed on and called foul play.

Then some of those claimed that the vote was rigged in Thannet(the leaders consituanicy).

To top it all off the leader that said he would step down says he has been asked not to do so and as a result continues to be the leader of the party.

And the voters continue to support both the party that failed and the leader that went back on his word and continue to support them both.

All this from a bunch of people that say the system is rigged and that the major two parties are biased?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I didn't berate cameron's U-turns, I merely reminded you of them.

I noticed in your anticipation of my response you neglected to admit that Farage has far better hand-on experience of dealing with the EU than any other Front Bencher in Cameron's bunker.

I believe Farage was genuine in his motive of stepping down because he had not gained a seat, but why can't you accept that he has a huge following of people who admire the man and want him in their parliament?

This is really your problem with Farage. You have to accept that for once Britain has a politician that people actually admire and want - unlike cameron and co whom many hate. Nit picking about something as innocuous as resigning when parliament is full of so many outright liars is laughable.

I have to respectably disagree on so many levels.

To call my opinion laughable and accuse nitpicking simply demeans your own argument.

If your right tell me I am right there is no need to "nitpick"

I do not have to accept anything you merely wish me to do so.. It's a big difference.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Really glad they rejected his resignation and rightly so.It's not as if the campaign was unsuccessful.
People need to see past the childish MSM slurs against UKIP and Nigel and watch some of his performances in the EU.He takes the slimy, snides to task like no other politician.That's why the current establishment fears him and bad mouths him every chance they get.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
Really glad they rejected his resignation and rightly so.It's not as if the campaign was unsuccessful.
People need to see past the childish MSM slurs against UKIP and Nigel and watch some of his performances in the EU.He takes the slimy, snides to task like no other politician.That's why the current establishment fears him and bad mouths him every chance they get.

I will not argue that but do you not feel that as he said he would resign if he lost and now has not done makes a mockery of his stance?

Will you belive anything he says from now on given that he has shown he will go back on his word if it suits him?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
do you not feel that as he said he would resign if he lost and now has not done makes a mockery of his stance?
How would it?

He did resign.
His party asked him to stay.
He accepted.
It's just Party political democracy as I see it right now, until or unless new evidence becomes available which suggests otherwise of course.

*Edit*
Off topic, so I'm not going into the story, but I have resigned twice in my life and stayed on after being asked to during unexpected negotiations.
Farage is a human being as I am. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until/unless I see anything to draw me towards changing my mind.
Same as I do all human beings.
edit on 11.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join