It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigel Farage stays as UKIP leader. Opinions asked on this decision.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
As an anti UKiP member I expect a little heat form this, yet another UK election thread but here goes.

Regardless of opinion on the UKIP party how does anybody feel about the fact that a politicain, regardless of his affiliation has gone back on his word within a few days of the outcome of the election.

As I said, party politics aside does this affect his legitimacy as a man of the people and one of his word if he can do this?

Link

Is this a genuine act or a predetermined outcome and little more than yet another politican refusing to stick to his word?

Not a loaded question before anyone pipes in as it's all in plain sight.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Im glad.. British politics would be even more boring without him..

But... He did resign... The party just would not accept his resignation

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Nasser did the same thing in 1967, after losing the war with Israel.
"I have led you to defeat. I will resign".
Massive street demonstrations.
"Oh, all right then, I'll stay".

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I thought he didn't look well through out the campaign, he hardly leads the most healthy of lifestyles and I imagine a general election campaign would take it out the best of us, he's probably been given medical advice to reign it in after the election take a holiday or something. I agree with Evan that he's an interesting character in british politics which is generally a pretty flat landscape at the moment

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvanB
Im glad.. British politics would be even more boring without him..

But... He did resign... The party just would not accept his resignation

But do you actually believe that he intended to resign and keep his word or do you feel this was somewhat pre planned?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I thought he didn't look well through out the campaign, he hardly leads the most healthy of lifestyles and I imagine a general election campaign would take it out the best of us, he's probably been given medical advice to reign it in after the election take a holiday or something. I agree with Evan that he's an interesting character in british politics which is generally a pretty flat landscape at the moment

He had already said that he wanted a holiday but would not rule out going for party leader again in september?

Seems a litlle fishy to me with him bieng a politician and all.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ita reply to: nonspecific it's Farage's charisma that makes ukip what they are, the rest of the members are just ex I'm sure they've got other charismatic members, I just couldn't point one out to you. There's plenty of kippers here who must be able to give you a better answer. Sorry can't help.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I really don't like him as a politician.

I believe that deep down he is really a Thatcherite who wants to turn this country back into 1980's Britain.

But I think him going back on his word shows just how much of a "one man band" UKIP really is.

I think he really did intend to resign otherwise he would never have done it, but I think that what's probably happened is that the other senior members of UKIP have freaked out because they know that he is the only real option they have for a leader and convinced him that he had to stay.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

From everything I have read, in a timeline:
Farage stated that if he did not win the seat he would resign.
He failed to win the seat.
He resigned.
The party executive/members refused his resignation.

I do not know the fine administrative workings of UKIP but that is what they are saying and no MSM outlet is saying any different so I must assume that is the rather mundane story.
If you know differently though, or are aware of any indy/msm media outlet claiming anything otherwise then please do share it as my views are always open to change.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Ita reply to: nonspecific it's Farage's charisma that makes ukip what they are, the rest of the members are just ex I'm sure they've got other charismatic members, I just couldn't point one out to you. There's plenty of kippers here who must be able to give you a better answer. Sorry can't help.

This was kind of my point, as said many times I am not a fan of UKIP, what they stood for was alright but they seemed very much like a one man one policy party.

Take away Farage and an EU referendum and what exactly is UKIP?

Not an attack on the party but a straight up question.

He is a hell of a leader and I think they know that without him they would be nothing.

Hence there not accepting his decision.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

From everything I have read, in a timeline:
Farage stated that if he did not win the seat he would resign.
He failed to win the seat.
He resigned.
The party executive/members refused his resignation.

I do not know the fine administrative workings of UKIP but that is what they are saying and no MSM outlet is saying any different so I must assume that is the rather mundane story.
If you know differently though, or are aware of any indy/msm media outlet claiming anything otherwise then please do share it as my views are always open to change.

As I stated above it's just a question but just to reaffirm my opinion.

Without Farrage(A man I dislike but admire for his conviction) and the possibility of an EU referendum(now on the cards) Where to go from here for UKIP.

LOL I actually forgot what my own thread was about there!

I do not belive that his refusal to resign was not preplanned.(back on topic now methinks(.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree with woodward...
I think it's Farage's charismatic approach they'd miss too much.

He probably knew that...
He also probably knew they wouldn't accept his resignation...

Pretty desperate if you ask me.

Can't say I'd miss him...
This is politics not entertainment...

We need leaders, not jesters.

No offence, Nigel, but you're a comedic prop to get people interested...

A puppet like the rest of us...

Force the resignation mate.
edit on 11-5-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
On-topic then...

originally posted by: nonspecific
Is this a genuine act or a predetermined outcome and little more than yet another politican refusing to stick to his word?
Who knows?
I have no reason to believe that it was anything other than a party wishing him to remain as leader when he failed to win the seat for Thanet.
When he made his promise to resign if he did not win the seat I saw UKIP MEP's and party members state they did not require him to do that, hoping he would not do so,
He resigned. The party asked him to remain. He withdrew his resignation.

If you have anything to indicate there is some sinister back story then please do share it as it would influence my opinion on UKIP, but if it is just personal conjecture then cool, it's interesting, but I don't see how a party wishing to keep a leader they feel is best for them is anything too much to worry about in the wider political landscape.

...I have never been a member of any political party, for the record.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I agree with woodward...

He probably knew that...

So just to reaffirm do you think that his preplanned resignation and the refusal was by accident or design?

Do you think they have any kind of future without him as such a(hate to say it) great leader?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I dont think he has gone back on his word.
He did resign at least that's what they are saying on the local news.

Problem is the party wont let him step down.

edit on 11-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I call BS.

If he resigned and walked away, what could they do?

Are they going to force him to be leader?

Nope.

The whole thing has been a stunt.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I agree with woodward...

He probably knew that...

So just to reaffirm do you think that his preplanned resignation and the refusal was by accident or design?

Do you think they have any kind of future without him as such a(hate to say it) great leader?

Nah I reckon it was just a change of heart...

Probably saw that no one else in his party is ready to lead...

As much as I disagree with him on certain things, he does seem pretty genuine.
I'd buy him a pint and have a debate with him.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
On-topic then...

Who knows?
I have no reason to believe that it was anything other than a party wishing him to remain as leader when he failed to win the seat for Thanet.
When he made his promise to resign if he did not win the seat I saw UKIP MEP's and party members state they did not require him to do that, hoping he would not do so,
He resigned. The party asked him to remain. He withdrew his resignation.

If you have anything to indicate there is some sinister back story then please do share it as it would influence my opinion on UKIP, but if it is just personal conjecture then cool, it's interesting, but I don't see how a party wishing to keep a leader they feel is best for them is anything too much to worry about in the wider political landscape.

...I have never been a member of any political party, for the record.

As stated, I have no proof that it was pre planned it's all just conjecture.

I just felt that after reading the rational behind it he was never going to step down and this is all a getout clause(not that I mind that as such).

I just feel that he has lost what little respect he had from me even though I disagree with him by pulling a weak ass "fast one"

I would personally preffered him to say he would stay even if he lost and fight the good fight than go down the reluctant "If I must" card.

Just my opinion and suchlike.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

As much as I disagree with him on certain things, he does seem pretty genuine.
I'd buy him a pint and have a debate with him.

I bet you would probably when it comes down to it agree on a few things if you meet.

Most people don't seem to look past then MSM mud slinging and the main partys slagging matches and actually listen to what UKIP was trying to say

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
The whole thing has been a stunt.
You don't know that.
The result went down to 2000 votes for Farage, so in a free and fair election with no idea of the possible vote swing to UKIP it was honourable for a party to promise to step down if he failed to win his seat. Two others did the same day, remember Nick and Ed.

You have nothing to show that it was a stunt except your opinion.
I have nothing to show that it was not a stunt, but I do not assert it was not.
You assert it was and have nothing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join