It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Denisovan Jewelers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Heliocentric

Absolutely.. and on a side note i'm often amazed by how i can come to ATS regularly for years and still discover posters who have been here for years who i somehow have managed not to see posting stuff i find fascinating

You may like this vid

Which i posted here

ETA: dur, just noticed i replied, SnF'd etc.
edit on 12-5-2015 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I wonder if the tapered hole is a product of not using a 'boring stone,' but instead using sand and a stick to create the hole. As the hole bored deeper, the sand would remove both stone and wood, making the wooden tip smaller as progress was made, created a tapered, conical hole as seen here.

Just a thought...
edit on 12-5-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
Good call on the methodology.
Take it one step further and mount a hard stone burin on a stick and do the same thing.

Much like a fire drill.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
quartz does a fine job too

There is even a little data on drilling times here

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

yep
Nice Skalla,

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Great find the pcs are wonderful,they would easily found their way on any fashion run way or high end stores , Denisovan and modern cognitive thinking ..who knew??.

edit on 15-5-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Pretty cool find. They probably got it through trade. Travelers looking to exchange jewelry for food would seem to make the most sense, assuming of course you can look past the 40,000 year anomaly.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
*UPDATE*

Denisova Cave gives up more goodies.

A fascinating collection of jewellery made of ostrich eggshells is being assembled by archeologists working in the world famous Denisova cave in Altai region. Ostriches in Siberia? 50,000 years ago?

Yes, it seems so. Or, at least, their eggshells made it here somehow.

Ostritch shells, is that interesting.

The latest discovery 'is one centimetre in diameter, with a hole inside that is slightly wider than a millimetre,' he said.

Yet he admits: 'As of now, there is much more that we do not know about these beads than we do know. For example, we do not know where the beads were made.

'One version is that the egg shells could have been exported from Trans-Baikal or Mongolia with the beads manufactured here.

'Another possibility is that the beads were purchased elsewhere and delivered to the Altai Mountains perhaps in an exchange.

'Whichever way we look at it, it shows that the people populating the Denisova Cave at the time were advanced in technologies and had very well-established contacts with the outside world.'

Paleolithic jewellery: still eye-catching after 50,000 years

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Ostrich shells make the find exceptionally interesting. The only other ostrich shell beads, of that time, appear to be from Tanzania! Even taken in little steps, that is quite the distance to cover, passed hand to hand, in trade. Mind blowing really.

Thanks for the update.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join