It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scariest Asteroid To Date Heading To Earth, Capable Of Mass Extinction

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: planetyeck
It's the one that we don't hear about that will be the one that wipes us out.

Exactly, I dont believe for one minute they would tell us we are all doomed. What would be the point.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
I'm not sure if anyone has scaled it down yet for easier understanding:

The Earth is a 42 foot ball of rock

The Moon is an 11 foot ball of rock a quarter mile away

The asteroid is a 1mm grain of sand "blazing by" 6.3 miles away

I always thought a close-call was defined as something that was at or within 1 lunar distance (distance from Earth to Moon ~ 240,000 mi)

hey now, you cant blame a guy for dreaming.

also, quit killing my dreams.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2

Artist rendition of `Scariest Asteroid To Date`.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Distance from one object to another is not that important as is gravitational relativity. On it's journey towards the earth the ever slight tug between the two objects will increase and the earth will bend the path of the object a little as it passes by. The problem scientists have is the variable problem where a small chuck of something knocks it into a more direct path, or the effect of other bodies in the solar system, even the position of the sun in relation to it and the earth. That's why as a near miss it is alarming to some.

The other problem would of course be all of the smaller pieces that usually travel with the larger ones. Even a piece as small as one eighth the size of it is enough to cause wide scale destruction to some part of earth if it got slung our way.

So one way or the other, they're watching it closely.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm glad you are alive to enjoy your retort!
a reply to: olaru12

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

God gave us Free Will , Tragic events are NOT caused by God They are just Random.

(post by ziplock9000 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fromabove
Distance from one object to another is not that important as is gravitational relativity. On it's journey towards the earth the ever slight tug between the two objects will increase and the earth will bend the path of the object a little as it passes by. The problem scientists have is the variable problem where a small chuck of something knocks it into a more direct path, or the effect of other bodies in the solar system, even the position of the sun in relation to it and the earth. That's why as a near miss it is alarming to some.

The other problem would of course be all of the smaller pieces that usually travel with the larger ones. Even a piece as small as one eighth the size of it is enough to cause wide scale destruction to some part of earth if it got slung our way.

So one way or the other, they're watching it closely.

There is so much orbital data known about this object, that the fine tuning will be within a few hundred miles of what is now certainly not a "near miss". That data has already taken into account any gravitational anomalies presented by the Sun, Earth and Moon in the asteroid's present orbital vector. Nothing else can have any substantial effect other than these 3 at this stage of the CPA.

Additionally, if the object has any pieces traveling with it, they will be well within a few hundred miles of the main mass, so it is essentially not a situation to worry about either.
edit on 13-5-2015 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Guess this one has passed us by now? I hate how every web link repeats only the exact same information on things the same words just copied, clearly we will always only get one story and approved one that starts somewhere on anything and repeats.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

asteroidwatch, also hast their twitter thingy and it says:

Yes. It went by early this morning at 7:25 am EDT.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join