It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway employee celebrates Miss. cops' death on Facebook

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
I believe they were right to fire her. People who want to blame the company for her comments are misplacing their ire. She is the one that is wrong. Can you imagine this person serving you food? What if she decided she didn't like the way you looked

I agree, and even though I never cared for Subway (always was a Togo's guy myself, if I was going to order from a sandwich chain, I prefer a small deli) It's not their fault that they hired an imbecile. ~$heopleNation

They are ok, but I prefer Schlotzsky's myself. I wouldn't boycott the chain for one bad employee, though! I would wonder if they had others like her at that location.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

That thought crossed my mind. A cop pops in for lunch at Subway...what happens to their food? Bleh.

Considering her attitude, they should be questioning her on that, and other employees, to see if she was ever seen contaminating the food. At least in a Subway, you can see them preparing it.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: Shamrock6

A Subway sandwich artist who hailed the murders of two Mississippi police officers on social media faced a fierce online backlash Sunday that threatened her job.

Sierra (C-Babi) Mccurdy wrote on Facebook “2 police officers was shot in Hattiesburg tonight!” according to screengrabs circulating online. “Got em.”

Subway employee celebrates Miss. cops' death on Facebook

Put this little tidbit here because I don't think it really fits into the PC realm, as that's not why it interests me. What interests me is the "sandwich artist" (why, Subway? Why?) makes a couple of posts regarding the slaying of two cops and gets fired over it. Personally, I think it's the franchisee's right to do that if they wish, but I don't know the state employment laws.

Her second post was about turning "this bxtch(sic) into Baltimore." My understanding is she doesn't even live in Hattiesburg but I'm not 100% on that.

Thus far, Subway has not returned any requests for comment, but the online backlash against them seems to be coming in fast and furious.

Slippery slope. Yes, a company has a right to protect it's image. But an employee has a right to employment without discrimination - to a degree.
As long is the employee is a lawful citizen, I do not see what business it should be to the employer. I don't think that jurisdiction over acceptable behavior outside of work should be given businesses and media trends.

It is the media pointing out that this remark came from a subway sandwich artist so it is the media that has placed a gun to the business head and demanded action. Where is the protection for the employee here? After the fact civil suit?

I so agree with your comment. And we have a perfect example in Toronto. Just happened and one employee involved in a comment (unfortunately publicly) while in his free time, has been terminated from a highly paid job. In the following material, while I do not agree with the behavior and find it quite disgusting, I cannot fathom how someone is being punished for something that firstly is not related to his job, secondly is totally on his free time and thirdly, the person doesn't even identifies who he is and what position he carries in the city employment list. Wth is going on with our society?

Hydro One is firing a Sunshine List employee involved in a vulgar incident with a CityNews reporter at Sunday’s Toronto FC game.

“Regarding the incident at the Toronto FC game between a (CityNews) reporter and fans, Hydro One is taking steps to terminate the employee involved for violating our Code of Conduct,” said Daffyd Roderick, director, corporate affairs for Hydro One.

“Respect for all people is engrained in the Code of Conduct and in our Core Values and we are committed to a work environment where discrimination or harassment of any type is met with zero tolerance.”

Roderick identified the employee as Shawn Simoes, an assistant network management engineer who made $106,510.50 a year.

www.thestar.com...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
So where will it end us not knowing if anything we speak or write may upset some corporate overlord?
Criticizing the President gets you fired because your boss loves Democrats?
What she said was in very poor taste but was not illegal.
That is where the line should be drawn for employers.
Otherwise they fire you for anything they want, not for what you said but because they can get away with and their cousin needs a job.
Feel free to support your corporate utopia where everyone lives under the fear or reprisal for anything they do.
Me personally I've had it up to here with all the control freaks.
edit on 13-5-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
What she said was in very poor taste but was not illegal.

What they did was not illegal.
Her rights were not violated.
It seems pretty simple to me, if you are going to post stupid things like she did then don't have a picture of you on your Facebook page in your work uniform.

Sometimes the person that causes a situation is responsible and not everyone else.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join