It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway employee celebrates Miss. cops' death on Facebook

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I've read your stance in many threads. Quote feature doesn't work on my tablet, but 2nd line of your last post. The one I mentioned in my last post. Other than that, I can agree.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LoverBoy

Ya that is my stance on this issue, people are more willing to be behind subway cause the target of the comment is cops. But when it isn't cops getting the harsh word said to, it is all about free speech and the employer has no grounds to do anything.

I am blaming the people for being hypocrites, imo, not the cops.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The difference between this instance and, say, duck dynasty is that it's the employer's discretion. Not really fair to tell every employer in the land they no longer have the right to decide what they're okay with, when it comes to this. What's okay for one employer may not be for another, but it's their prerogative. The only solution would be to pass a law, which then DOES turn this in to a 1st amendment issue.

The government can legislate business when it comes to discrimination against disabilities, gender, etc. It can't legislate "well it's okay for employees of your company to say this, but if they say that then you have to fire them."
edit on 11-5-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Clarity

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Ya I agree it is there choice.
I don't want a law past, just want it to work both ways when some one gets fired over what they say.

Again I stand behind the employer to choose.

Like the duck dynasty guy got his job back from the outcry that he was treated unfairly didn't he?
edit on thMon, 11 May 2015 15:55:56 -0500America/Chicago520155680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
When you post it on social media it doesn't matter if it is cops or not, it is going to piss off plenty of people. She's still free to say it regardless, but when you have pictures of yourself in uniform, most likely your employer is going to find out. Not that the employer needed a reason to terminate her employment any less.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

He was never fired. He was suspended. There was backlash against the suspension, and A&E lifted it. But he was never terminated.

A&E decided that his comments weren't more important than the revenue he generates. Subway decided her comments outweighed the revenue she brought in for them.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

A&E decided that his comments weren't more important than the revenue he generates. Subway decided her comments outweighed the revenue she brought in for them.

Yes, it is the employer's decision at the end of the day.

Think we can just meet in the middle there.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

A Subway sandwich artist who hailed the murders of two Mississippi police officers on social media faced a fierce online backlash Sunday that threatened her job.

Sierra (C-Babi) Mccurdy wrote on Facebook “2 police officers was shot in Hattiesburg tonight!” according to screengrabs circulating online. “Got em.”

Subway employee celebrates Miss. cops' death on Facebook

Put this little tidbit here because I don't think it really fits into the PC realm, as that's not why it interests me. What interests me is the "sandwich artist" (why, Subway? Why?) makes a couple of posts regarding the slaying of two cops and gets fired over it. Personally, I think it's the franchisee's right to do that if they wish, but I don't know the state employment laws.

Her second post was about turning "this bxtch(sic) into Baltimore." My understanding is she doesn't even live in Hattiesburg but I'm not 100% on that.

Thus far, Subway has not returned any requests for comment, but the online backlash against them seems to be coming in fast and furious.

“2 police officers was shot in Hattiesburg tonight!”

Really? Was they? I didn't aware that theys was shot. Was day deservingnested of being was shot?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I 100% disagree. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with freedom of having a job. They need to be fired ASAP.

Anybody who celebrates another persons death has serious issues and doesn't deserve to be employed anywhere. Is your paranoid hatred for police so bad that you encourage behavior like this? I sure as hell hope the closest I ever come to someone like you is in an online forum.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Most of the people on here spouting that dumb rhetoric are just a few people who comment on EVERY single thread. ATS is NOT public opinion, and over the last year or so has really taken a turn into complete idiocy.

So take it with a grain of salt. These are the same people who cry about everything. If they got their way and had no government they would be the first ones on here bitching about that too.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The only reason they mention Subway is in hopes of the company firing the person for making a comment they don't like. The article is nothing but click bait for sites to make ad revenue. The person who made that comment didn't do it while on the job or on Subway property, Subway has dick all to do with it.

I see no point to get all worked up over what someone posts on social media.
edit on 11-5-2015 by Echo007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Freedom of speech is, indeed, granted to her.

Not freedom of consequence.

Before one shoots off one's mouth, one should realize that there maybe consequences from that shooting...

Personally, I wouldn't have fired her. I wouldn't have been real happy with her, as it reflects poorly upon her employer as well as herself.

Celebrating the death of two PC's? Or anyone else, for that matter, is just about as low as one can go, really.

She really needs to grow up.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

So you agree with celebrating someone's death?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

I 100% disagree. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with freedom of having a job. They need to be fired ASAP.

Anybody who celebrates another persons death has serious issues and doesn't deserve to be employed anywhere. Is your paranoid hatred for police so bad that you encourage behavior like this? I sure as hell hope the closest I ever come to someone like you is in an online forum.

I don't have a hatred for anybody but I would understandably fear anybody like you who threatens me with violence. Your words are uncalled for and you obviously missed my point.

What she said was horrible and I said that it should have nothing to do with her job if she wasn't representing it while saying them. This is far different than a politician saying something or any famous persons. It turns out that she may have been wearing her uniform on the same profile meaning Subway was probably smart to fire her.

My point (originally) was that, if you have to monitor yourself while not at work in order to keep your job, you should be compensated while off-the-clock. I was not arguing that it should be illegal for Subway to fire her.

As far as my "paranoid hatred for police", I have none. I have a fear that I believe is sadly warranted. I'm currently in the process of connecting with local law enforcement to improve relations in that regard with the public (which was inspired by a LEO who is also a member here).

Of the two of us, you are the only one demonstrating a desire to harm another person.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Not really on OP topic but relevant to your comment: good! I'm glad to hear you're reaching out! All too often people want to talk about how "it's a two way street" but they themselves don't care to make any effort, either. That's very nice to hear!

We're not all Taser obsessed dudes

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

And where did I threaten you? Again, paranoia is a POWERFUL thing!

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

And where did I threaten you? Again, paranoia is a POWERFUL thing!

"I sure as hell hope the closest I ever come to someone like you is in an online forum. "

To me, that sounds akin to "you better hope I don't see you in a dark alley." The only other way of interpreting that is that you are physically afraid of being close to me? Which is it?

It doesn't matter. People get worked up and say crap like that all the time on the internet. It's what anonymity brings, I suppose. Just for the record, I'd love to run into "someone like you" somewhere besides an online forum so I could better explain myself. I don't assume you have coodies just because you hate my words.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Not really on OP topic but relevant to your comment: good! I'm glad to hear you're reaching out! All too often people want to talk about how "it's a two way street" but they themselves don't care to make any effort, either. That's very nice to hear!

We're not all Taser obsessed dudes

Oh, I totally know you guys aren't. In fact, in my town, we have an amazing police force. I've even posted a Youtube video a couple of years ago filming their response to a call of a person carrying an assault rifle. It ended with the police politely chatting with the guy and telling him that if he runs into trouble to call them! It was amazing.

Anyway, I can't get specific with it yet but (unrelated) I do have a ride-along coming up so that will be pretty sweet.

Thanks for your service (didn't know you were an officer, actually).

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

To you it does sure. Which is why I mentioned that paranoia is a very powerful thing.

To a normal person there is nothing abstract about it. There is no link to a dark alley. That was created all in your head...

How about reading something literally for once?

"I sure as hell hope the closest I ever come to someone like you is in an online forum."

So I was saying that I don't want to have to deal with someone like you in person whether it be in a business or social setting.

That's it.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

So I was saying that I don't want to have to deal with someone like you in person whether it be in a business or social setting.

That's it.

In a way, that's just as depressing.

In any case, this is an issue that I've been swaying back and forth on for years. There's no distinct "sides" other than "reasonable" and "unreasonable", both of which exists among civilians and law enforcement alike.

Closing people out and avoiding seemingly "opposing" views is the best way to stay unreasonable.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join