It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer-Causing Chemical Benzene Being Dumped Into California's Aquifers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So, water level is near dry, but the same amount of toxic chemicals are being pumped in. Insane. Never assume your water is safe to drink. Always purify it by any means.

VICE NEWS writes:

California faces its worst drought in 1,200 years and the oil industry may be contaminating the state's precious aquifers, which consumers are increasingly relying upon as rivers, streams, and reservoirs reach record lows.
Oil companies have been pumping waste-water into groundwater sources designed for human consumption, a dangerous practice that the state must immediately halt, environmental groups argue in a new lawsuit.
"We're suing the state because it's letting oil companies dump toxic waste fluid into protected underground water sources," Patrick Sullivan, climate media director for the Center for Biological Diversity, a party to the suit, told VICE News. "If we don't protect these water sources, we're going to regret it."

The oil companies are pumping some of the estimated 130 billion gallons of fluid waste they produce annually in California into aquifers that are protected under the federal Safe Water Drinking Act, Sullivan said. The oil refining process produces about 10 times as much water as oil, leaving companies with a constant struggle over where to inject their waste fluids.

The fluid, a byproduct of fracking and other oil extraction methods, often has high levels of the cancer-causing chemical benzene, research has found.

"We don't know what the health impacts are now but we do know this water has oil in it," Sullivan said, explaining that there was inadequate research at this point on the effects of the liquid.

Source: VICE NEWS

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
And in 20 years time, the oil companies will be facing a trillion dollar class action lawsuit requiring that they pay for all necessary processing to restore the quality of drinking water.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
And in 20 years time, the oil companies will be facing a trillion dollar class action lawsuit requiring that they pay for all necessary processing to restore the quality of drinking water.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Benzene can have toxic effects and has shown to cause cancer in people in the wrong form. This would definitely be the wrong form. Our bodies can rid itself of small amounts of benzene but having this form in the water which is used to do everything from wash the veggies to boil our foods is not good. Even watering the veggies with this constantly can cause some problems.

There are some forms of Benzene compounds that are not harmful, in fact they are sort of necessary in our diet. Benzoates and benzoic acids can help with neutralizing things in our bodies and also can help us with fighting some sorts of bad microbes. But this is not the case with this stuff. The benzene ring is important in our diet but only when in foods that take it up naturally from the environment. Some plants take in this substance and convert it well into a safe and healthy substance while it can cause a destruction of natural essential soil microbes if too much is used to water them which means the plants might not be as nutritious as they should be. The good soil microbes add to the food chemistry of plants. They have always been in the soil and we have evolved with them providing us with some nutrients in the plants.

I am not afraid of some natural benzoates and benzoic acids, but this could be adding to the amount of benzene in the diet which can lead to an overload. It would be like adding undesired medicine to the diet which could lead to many problems. I am starting to wonder if I should start avoiding foods coming from California. Even the organic foods could be effected, and because benzene is actually an organic substance it does not have to be listed that it is in the water.

I'm not going to fear monger, I just would like to see some research on it's effect on the food that is grown there and on the livestock that is being fed this water. Now it is not up to me to say the people of California can't allow this in their water, that is up to them. I am more concerned that it may effect what I eat that is grown there. Now someone will probably respond that benzene is normal and it is of no harm to me, but I ask for evidence to prove this, not an opinion based on the benzene ring generally being natural and benzene being of no harm.

Now if everyone said what I am saying, the government of California would take action to correct this because they grow a lot of produce and produce a lot of meats.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

They will just go bankrupt and their insurance will spend the policy limits on legal fees and the lawyers of the class action lawsuits will get about fifty million bucks settlement and the citizens effected will get two dozen eggs.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
And the oil companies will say 'Ah, no we diddn. Here, have a bottle of Fiji'. And that will be it.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Here is another thing Ricky. The Governor of California is an old lefty. Now I have no problem with old lefties, I still am one but this guy Brown, what a schmo.

He of course was Governor 'Moonbeam" way back when but fell into disfavor when the conservatives in California rose up against him. He made a quick bid for a presidential run but ran out of steam.

Then he quietly rented a loft in Oakland and formed a 'progressive' live in group of activists in the East Bay who called themselves 'We the People". Brown went on to KPFA, listener sponsored free speech radio for several years with his own afternoon talk show as a voice of the people. He espoused all the right progressive platforms and environmental issues for a number of years and became the hope of may environmentalists and progressives in the Bay Area.

Then he used this base in his run for mayor of Oakland. As soon as he won the election he quit his talk show and then seemed to just quit with the progressive rhetoric and settled into being what appeared to me to be just another average mayor. This of course was his launching pad to catapult him back into the governorship when Californians decided they wanted a liberal governor again.

He is the problem here. He should be impeached by the liberals of California right now unless he gets off his duff and stands up for the environmental rights of the citizens of California. Or at least that is how I remember it.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I don't think it would ever get to the point of a lawsuit. The lower class will be poisoned, without good water and food and will revolt against the politicians and upper class. While those who did the damage fly away with fat profits.
edit on 10-5-2015 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

But,but,but.... how are the lawyers going to get rich and get into the White House and Congress?.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Here is another thing Ricky. The Governor of California is an old lefty. Now I have no problem with old lefties, I still am one but this guy Brown, what a schmo.

He of course was Governor 'Moonbeam" way back when but fell into disfavor when the conservatives in California rose up against him. He made a quick bid for a presidential run but ran out of steam.

Then he quietly rented a loft in Oakland and formed a 'progressive' live in group of activists in the East Bay who called themselves 'We the People". Brown went on to KPFA, listener sponsored free speech radio for several years with his own afternoon talk show as a voice of the people. He espoused all the right progressive platforms and environmental issues for a number of years and became the hope of may environmentalists and progressives in the Bay Area.

Then he used this base in his run for mayor of Oakland. As soon as he won the election he quit his talk show and then seemed to just quit with the progressive rhetoric and settled into being what appeared to me to be just another average mayor. This of course was his launching pad to catapult him back into the governorship when Californians decided they wanted a liberal governor again.

He is the problem here. He should be impeached by the liberals of California right now unless he gets off his duff and stands up for the environmental rights of the citizens of California. Or at least that is how I remember it.

And this is Jerry Brown's Fault - how? Just for being there. Off -topic much.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

I don't understand how is this allowed in America.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorinoFer
a reply to: FearYourMind

I don't understand how is this allowed in America.

If I get caught flicking a cigarette out of the window I would be fined, but oil companies can dump toxins in drinking water and nothing happens. Strange America.

new topics

top topics

join