It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How badly of really off are the "poor people" of the United Kingdom

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Of course the people responsible are on the in-cress, fact is a significant proportion of the poor souls are refugees.

Im just calling it how i see it.

We need to be able to house these people, provide them gainful employment(With a proper wage) and education, give them quality of life. How can we possibly achieve such when we cannot even provide the same for the population we already have?

Food Banks are not the answer, past, present or future.
edit on 11-5-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific I'm sorry to hear what you went through that must have been a traumatic experience. We are both lucky to have supportive friends and family. I used to volunteer at a homeless centre for young people. One thing you realise quickly is they most definitely lack a support network, support from a family or loved ones to help them out. If we can't rely on our friends or family what have we got?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: singingbones

Hopefull we didn't misunderstand each other. Afraid I wasn't clear enough about the class distinction. "Poor People" is a stigma like the word, "Homeless". it puts people into a less than category, the definition made by those with the notion they are better off because they have more.

I hate class distinctions, I agree with what you said in your post.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Well, I'm glad somebody agrees with my posts!
LOL

You are right, there is poverty but like you said, it's relative because children in the UK still have free education and if the parents don't work they get free medication if they are unwell. Poverty in developing countries is something completely different but, big BUT, children in poor families in the UK can still be negatively affected as they do become socially excluded and their health and academic achievements are not as good as children in well off families.

I think we see deprivation in the UK, caused by low living standards... not sure if we can call it poverty.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha
a reply to: Kandinsky

I think we see deprivation in the UK, caused by low living standards... not sure if we can call it poverty.

My Local MP said the exact same thing at a hustings a wee while back. He had a picture taken of himself plastered all over the Local rag looking well chuffed with himself opening our local foodbank ...He's Now Unemployed..

No doubt though after 20 years at Westminster he'll never find the need to use the Foodbank he took great pride in Opening....

For me, that pic and his statement on "Real" Poverty sealed his fate here.

Here's Lard arse committing political Seppuku.... Note his wee fly "better Together" add behind him...He Couldn't even honestly open a foodbank without a brainwashing exercise....Bag of Rats.

edit on 12-5-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

LOL they are all the same, politicians! And they don't understand that most people don't want food banks or part time employment, most people want 'a' job that can support their families.

I guess deprivation is poverty..... so we do have poverty in the UK then....

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Of course people agree with your posts!

children in poor families in the UK can still be negatively affected as they do become socially excluded and their health and academic achievements are not as good as children in well off families.

See. I agree with that too. We can split hairs about the definition of what constitutes poverty and still confidently point out that generations of kids are stunted by the poor socio-economic conditions they are raised in.

In my working life, I've encountered families who live in poverty. We're talking floorboards and no carpets, no food in the cupboards and debt collectors circling. There's always an argument that it's the parent's fault and maybe they should manage the finances more efficiently?

A counter to that argument is some of those feckless parents came up under the same circumstances. As kids, they didn't achieve academic success and poor nutrition limited their intellectual and physical growth. Turns into a Mobius Strip or vicious circle where it's hard to really see who is/was at fault and how to break that cycle.

If you're on the right of the political compass, it's obviously the fault of the parents. On the left and it's obviously the government failing poor families. For me, it's a bit of both and the solution is way less obvious.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Of course people agree with your posts!

hahaha I was just kidding, Kandinsky!!

If you're on the right of the political compass, it's obviously the fault of the parents. On the left and it's obviously the government failing poor families. For me, it's a bit of both and the solution is way less obvious.

^^ Absolutely! The problem is when those vicious circles can be broken but people don't want to.
But I still think governments should help the underage as they shouldn't pay for their parents inabilities or selfishness.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

But I still think governments should help the underage as they shouldn't pay for their parents inabilities or selfishness.

Yeah...society/government owes them a chance. Even though I find it hard to 'blame the parents,' it has to stop somewhere.

We can't choose our parents or where we're born so somebody else has to make sure that there's a way out.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
There are definitely too many people out there living below what most of us see as a basic standard. My question (like many others on here) is whether most of us have a real understanding of what real poverty is.

I've been first hand witness to some of the most deprived standards of living imaginable on this planet. I am a firm believer in the "first world problem " way of looking at things. There are so many on this World who are unable to survive on what they have. I'm not talking about being comfortable, I'm talking about being alive. I have seen a mother sell one of their children so she can feed the others for a few weeks. I've seen emaciated, skeletal bodies of children with bloated abdomens lying on the road sides in parts of Africa after they starved to death. I've seen a man stab a woman to death for a bottle of milk. I've seen real poverty.

However...

We are in a first world country. Our people do not have to live like that. We should not base our ideas of what poverty is by those standards. I do however believe that no one said that life was going to be fair. I believe that there will always be people who have and those who have not. I grew up as a 'have not' and it was #. At no stage did I ever believe that the country owed me a living. I dedicated my early adulthood to working hard and am now able to live a decent life because of it.

Not every one is as fortunate as me. I was born with the positive attitude and dedication that appears to elude so many pepole out there. I don't do self pity and have no desire to take from others. I was indeed fortunate.

Sorry guys, but some people have less than others. It sucks but it has always been so and always will be.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Yeah...society/government owes them a chance. Even though I find it hard to 'blame the parents,' it has to stop somewhere.

We can't choose our parents or where we're born so somebody else has to make sure that there's a way out.

Would it not take a generation or so of re evaluated education to pretty much eliminate a big proportion of those children in future generations though?

As you and others say many of the children in poverty (and I think that is what most of us care about most) would not be in that situation if there parents had a better understanding of the basics in life.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Would it not take a generation or so of re evaluated education to pretty much eliminate a big proportion of those children in future generations though?

As you and others say many of the children in poverty (and I think that is what most of us care about most) would not be in that situation if there parents had a better understanding of the basics in life.

In all honesty, I don't know how this problem can be solved. There's no clear solution and a lot of smart people have been trying to work it out since, at least, the late 19th Century concepts of social justice.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: Robert Reynolds

Should someone expect to have sattelite tv for example? An Iphone 6? brand new clothes on a regular basis?

Let's look at it another way.

Should someone be expected to participate in the fake values systems that promotes self esteem through the constant shouty shiny shiney, buy me buy me, televised stream. If people do not participate in the market as it is, how will they know what to consume?

The poor are vital to any economy for it is they that actually have to spend money just to survive. The poor never build up capital and never get to fully participate in debt based never-never land and for that, the new regime at Downing Street is going to continue to punish them.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I agree with Kandinsky as I also can't see a real solution. True that education can change lives, but not all lives want to be changed. 'There is no worse blind than the man who doesn't want to see'.... some people want to carry on living the way they do

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

I agree with Kandinsky as I also can't see a real solution. True that education can change lives, but not all lives want to be changed. 'There is no worse blind than the man who doesn't want to see'.... some people want to carry on living the way they do

And some lack the personal capacity to improve themselves and their lives through education.

Someone with an IQ of less than 90 is always going to struggle making their way in the world. Should they be judged or punished for being thick?

I do agree there is no ready answer to poverty but if we humans manage to evolve beyond the egotistical and selfishness, perhaps the haves will stop pointing the finger of blame and start sharing more.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join