It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How badly of really off are the "poor people" of the United Kingdom

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I would give up all my benefits in the drop of a hat, if my brain tumour was cured and I could walk again after a massive brain haemorrhage. I miss being able to walk the most. People take the simple ability for granted, but I'd love to just walk to the bathroom and stand up in a shower and walk down the stairs and make myself a cup of tea. It's hard to regain walking ability, much harder than I thought it was going to be. I can get around with a crutch, but to just be able to walk would be amazing right now.

I used to live and work in London, had a great career, but after my brain tumours I've not been able to do that type of work again.to run, to drive and all those other things you take for granted. I'm not after sympathy, but it's worth remembering most of us on disability, would just rather not have the disability in the first place. It was never my ambition to be disabled. I passed my ATOS testing with a simple letter from my oncologist, so their decision must count for something.

I'm determined I'll walk again, hopefully soon, so I can get some meaning into my life, but in the meantime I'll live with my retired parents and not worry about being a scrounger.

I'm not going to work some crappy zero hours contract job doing something I hate for the last few months of my life just to appease a government or for those who think I'm a scrounger or the right wing press. Other people's opinions really aren't that important to me. I very much doubt any of them could cope with what I've been through and still come out the other side. I can put up with judgemental pricks, it's the least of my troubles right now.
edit on 11-5-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Here's an example of what is going on in this country...Local foodbank here..

Woman arrives with three children in tow, the local foodbank was closed friday to tuesday..Bank Holiday.

The Woman explained that she hadn't eaten since friday, she chose to feed her kids instead.
The lady behind the desk told her to go find whatever she needed, while the lady from the foodbank was talking with the kids she noticed the women pick up a tin of beans, she thought the woman was looking at the date..No, The women had opened the tin and was eating the Beans with her hand..

need i say more.

But hey, someone spray painted a statue, call the Police.

+2 more 
posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
For a conspiracy website it seems many have missed one of the biggest conspiracies of all. While in our society, it is now frowned upon to bash bankers, it is perfectly legitimate to blame the disabled, the immigrants the benefit claimants for our financial situation. In fact those who point the finger at bankers are labeled a joke or fools, those who blame the poor get columns to write in the right wing press and invitations to David Cameron's parties. The blame is therefor shifted from those who caused the crash to the most vulnerable, who don't have a voice. Don't you find that a bit of a conspiracy? Or is that the way it should be.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

It's NO ones legal right to EXPECT others to subsidise SKY TV etc!

It is an adult's legal right to subscribe to Sky TV.

real poverty is requiring food and shelter like many people in 3rd world countries

I concur

Everyone should have a home,food,healthcare and access to education

Should have is not the reality unfortunately

they don't have a right to expect others to subsidise a lifestyle that many who work don't enjoy!!!!!!

As a Tax Payer you subsidise many things on behalf of your government whether you agree or not.

I am fortunate that I do have a descent life style but my family have worked HARD for it.

All who have decent shelter, good food, clean water, warmth from the cold, clean air to breath and good companionship are fortunate.

Those in the UK that fall through the net of social needs could be considered unfortunate and a priority of any decent society

People who "Have" moaning about others that "Have" does not address the problem of real poverty
It is merely you moaning ...

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

IF they can afford it ....

If someone's management of their financial affairs when having the means to meet their basic requirements leads to them being in debt it is their fault through mismanagement

Priorities for any are simple to understand I agree ... moaning about others is simply moaning
And has nothing to do with the topic of real poverty in the UK

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Yes it is called a scape goating derived from ancient times

The word now refers to someone who is unfairly blamed by others for problems. In psychology and sociology, the practice of selecting someone as a scapegoat has led to the concept of scapegoating.

"In ancient Greece a cripple or beggar or criminal (the pharmakos) was cast out of the community, either in response to a natural disaster (such as a plague, famine or an invasion) or in response to a calendrical crisis (such as the end of the year). In the Bible, the goat for Azazel was a goat that was designated (Hebrew לַעֲזָאזֵֽל la-aza'zeyl) to be outcast in the desert as part of the ceremonies of the Day of Atonement, that began during the Exodus with the original Tabernacle and continued through the times of the temples in Jerusalem."

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 11-5-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
For a conspiracy website it seems many have missed one of the biggest conspiracies of all. While in our society, it is now frowned upon to bash bankers, it is perfectly legitimate to blame the disabled, the immigrants the benefit claimants for our financial situation. In fact those who point the finger at bankers are labeled a joke or fools, those who blame the poor get columns to write in the right wing press and invitations to David Cameron's parties. The blame is therefor shifted from those who caused the crash to the most vulnerable, who don't have a voice. Don't you find that a bit of a conspiracy? Or is that the way it should be.

Don't really agree here Woodward. I don't think anyone says it isn't acceptable to bash the bankers. If the speculaters (rather than normal bank workers) are being too greedy and making deals that threaten economic stability, they should not just be bashed they should also be imprisoned. And i don't mean for a year or two either, it should be 10 year sentences (same as for a violent crime as the consequences of their actions are just as long term for victims).

However, the Welfare state should be used purely for what it was invented for - the poorest in society. Instead it has become a cash cow for all sorts of sections of society (and i include the wealthiest there, not just the poorest). This is what needs to change. Welfare should be for the truly needy, no one else.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

We have Food Banks in operation in what is supposed to be a first world nation! That says it all really.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

We have Food Banks in operation in what is supposed to be a first world nation! That says it all really.

Which is terrible but in a horrible way it also shows how lucky we are in this country - do you think you can pop to the food bank in Mozambique, for example?

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

True but this is the United Kingdom not Mozambique.

Some people who have jobs are being forced to use these Food Banks. That's pretty much indentured servitude. Blame zero hour contracts and the fact that the minimum wage is in no way inline with the cost of living. IMHO its a sad day and not lightly to get any better for the next 5 years.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I used to live and work in London, had a great career, but after my brain tumours I've not been able to do that type of work again.to run, to drive and all those other things you take for granted. I'm not after sympathy, but it's worth remembering most of us on disability, would just rather not have the disability in the first place. It was never my ambition to be disabled. I passed my ATOS testing with a simple letter from my oncologist, so their decision must count for something.

I'm determined I'll walk again, hopefully soon, so I can get some meaning into my life, but in the meantime I'll live with my retired parents and not worry about being a scrounger.

I don't normally do one line posts, but when I do it's to call you a champ.

Keep rawking.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I am certainly not defending them. I also think it abhorent that in this day and age we need food banks in this country. However, we can't lose sight of the fact that we have an incredibly easy existence in Britain compared to most of the rest of the world.

I am still undecided on zero hours contracts. In theory, i hate them (nothing further to add there!).

However, i know a few people on them and they suit them perfectly - in other words, they work for the few people i know that actually have to use them. Would it therefore be wrong to ban them? I confess i don't know........

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

The rest of the world is not our concern until we fix our own mess, after all charity begins at home.

Look at it this way should we ever manage to get our act together as a nation by addressing our own socioeconomic problems, homelessness issues and other contributing factors regarding the distribution of wealth among the populace we will be in a far stronger position to offer assistance to the rest of the world.

It's a sticky wicket eh?
edit on 11-5-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Some very good points woodward.

I do not think that any of the opposing views either here or in the real world in general are including those with genuine disability and I imagine that no one would arge that the ATOS debacle was anything other than outright wrong.

I myself sad something of a fall as it were after a bunch of playfull young scamps decided to beat me to the ground and stamp on my head repeadedtly.

I lost my career, my house pretty much everything including most of my cognative abilities and ended up sleeping on the floor in a freinds house with nothing.

I am perhaps lucky as with a good support network of friends and family I have slowly learned how to adapt and although I will never be able to work "full time" for any length of time I do the best I can.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

True but this is the United Kingdom not Mozambique.

Some people who have jobs are being forced to use these Food Banks. That's pretty much indentured servitude. Blame zero hour contracts and the fact that the minimum wage is in no way inline with the cost of living. IMHO its a sad day and not lightly to get any better for the next 5 years.

I have to disagree somewhat with the issue of food banks as I belive they are more than likley being mis used and almost certainly are bieng misrepresented for politically motivated reasons.

I wonder how many of those that have used foodbanks have done so knowing that they have a back up plan and spent there money on other things? not all but a fair portion I imagine.

I also wonder how many of those that used them smoke cigarettes? again I would guess a fair percentage and I have to question the rational of choosing cigarettes over food.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I live 10 meters away from a food bank. They dont look like they are being misused to me. Fact is since i moved into the property(2 years) the amount of people i have witness using the place seems to tripled at the very least.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

The rest of the world is not our concern until we fix our own mess, after all charity begins at home.

Look at it this way should we ever manage to get our act together as a nation by addressing our own socioeconomic problems, homelessness issues and other contributing factors regarding the distribution of wealth among the populace we will be in a far stronger position to offer assistance to the rest of the world.

It's a sticky wicket eh?

I think if we manage to do that, the rest of the world would follow our lead (eventually). I am serious there as well. If we manage to fix those sorts of problems, citizens in other developed nations would look and say to their political classes "we want a bit of that".........and then citizens in developing countries would look and also say "us too".

One day, we will figure a system that works for everyone. The sad thing is that in around 5'500 years we haven't managed it once yet as a species.

I have to say, i think we will always have those on top of society and those at the bottom - it is a kind of natural order you see all over the animal world. I genuinely have no problem either with the "haves" in society (even those of obscene wealth). My problem lies with the "have-nots" often having nothing.

I admit that i am a Conservative and have been every voting election since i was first able. Where people go wrong though (in this country) is to think Conservatives don't care about anyone else. That is simply false and actually insulting. As much as i fundamentally disagree with the Far Left i also disagree with the Far Right (far right for this country, not far right by political definition! - i truly detest them).

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I live 10 meters away from a food bank. They dont look like they are being misused to me. Fact is since i moved into the property(2 years) the amount of people i have witness using the place seems to tripled at the very least.

This is obviously an issue that affects some areas more than others then, I will take your word on that.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Certainly seems to effect the area i hail from in Glasgow. It gets worse, some of the poor souls who are forced to use the Food Bank also take to raiding our bins, leaving the refuge sprawled all over the place, even the streets. Our bins are now only emptied on a fortnightly basis so there are rodent and cockroach infestation that are getting way beyond control. Not to mention the identity theft that goes hand in hand with the bin raiding.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Certainly seems to effect the area i hail from in Glasgow. It gets worse, some of the poor souls who are forced to use the Food Bank also take to raiding our bins, leaving the refuge sprawled all over the place, even the streets. Our bins are now only emptied on a fortnightly basis so there are rodent and cockroach infestation that are getting way beyond control. Not to mention the identity theft that goes hand in hand with the bin raiding.

So from perspective a question if I may?

We are given to belive that food banks are now bieng used by those in the benifits system and in full time work on low pay and this is the cause for concern.

Are you seeing this type of person on the increase or are they the inevitable homeless people a city like Glasgow invariably inherits now making use of something that was not there before?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join