It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant to host 'White Appreciation Day'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It seems here that an American businessman (of Mexican descent) has decided to offer a counter to the Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month by creating a single day in his BBQ restaurant to celebrate "White American's". He is now being inundated with allegations of racism over it all.

Story: Restaurant to host 'White Appreciation Day'

To be fair, he added as a part of this day a 10% discount to "White American's" (frankly, that is a misnomer anyways IMO). Since AFAIK neither of the other state-sponsored monthly celebrations involve discounts for that particular group, this might actually be stepping over-the-line for him, and open him up to legal ramifications of discrimination.

That said, I would like to take this ATS thread in a "what-if" scenario of discussing making an official "White American's Day" possible, sans the discounts. If we can have the state and federal govt openly acknowledge the Black and Hispanic communities contributions to the American experience, then why can we not do the same for "White American's" as well? IMO, celebrations of Presidents Day, Veterans Day, and other holidays named for specific people do not count as the color of their skin or ancestral heritage are not considered an aspect of the reasons for celebrations.

Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation American, as my G-Parents arrived here in 1900 from another country. Therefore, I consider myself American.....period, regardless of my skin color which I had no option to choose to be born into at the time.

So, ATS, I would like a civil discussion on the topic (if that is possible) and ask for all to refrain from name-calling and other childish remarks that are beneath the membership here.

edit on 5/10/2015 by Krakatoa because: Fixed an "ooopsie" in my typing.

+53 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Why is it, every distinction on earth is OK to celebrate but white or christian?

I'm not even religious and see clearly the antichristian promuslim bias in the media.

The anti white bias is of legendary proportions at the moment.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I don't really see a problem with it. I wonder if this restaurant has discounts for other colors of people on other days...

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
To me this would be the deciding factor.

If he does it for everyone, what's the rub?

If not, why not?

ETA- I hate this flipping phone!!!!

This was meant to be a quote and reply to BH
edit on 10-5-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick people celebrate Christianity all the time 4 months of christmas, Easter there's plenty stop playing the victim card

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

It seems here that an American businessman (of Mexican descent) has decided to offer a counter to the Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month by creating a single day in his BBQ restaurant to celebrate "White American's". He is now being inundated with allegations of racism over it all.

Who cares?

Other racists.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I dont see a problem with it. Bad business maybe? Hell he may even get better business...

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I don't really see a problem with it. I wonder if this restaurant has discounts for other colors of people on other days...

my daughter had a friend since childhood who was half black and half white. she now lives with us. i wonder if she would qualify. i think of her like a daughter. if the president of the usa doesn't qualify, then we has a problem. and that problem is, making programs based on race. this is not supposed to be a country based on racial segregation/superiority/inferiority. that it started out that way was a travesty, but we have moved on from that, so why are we now going backwards?
edit on 10-5-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I say do it for everyone - each group - or do it for no one.
Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian, etc etc ...
ALL or none.
(Doing it for NONE is much easier. No one gets left out.)

+26 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

This will be an interesting gauge as to how non-white American folk view the 1st amendment.

Anyone who calls this man a racist, is indeed themselves a racist because they have viewed his "white appreciation day" with hypocrisy towards their own skin colour as somehow being superior.

Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

(Doing it for NONE is much easier. No one gets left out.)

and it's more logical, too, in just about every way imaginable.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
How could I be a victim, I'm not religious?

As far as Easter and Christmas go, they are not celebrated as religious holidays by the majority of folks.

I don't know a single person in my 37 years that has attended church on easter or Christmas.

Everyone but the fruity neighbors I know has always celebrated both.

It is a time for families to get together and enjoy each others company, nothing more for the vast majority of us.

Most of us couldn't give a toss if it was another religions religious days.... Oh wait Christmas is a pagan holiday, and so is easter.

They were coopted by Christianity.

Because they are good times of the year to get together and celebrate, nothing more.

+18 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A white appreciation day is no more racist than a black appreciation day. It's only perceived to be racist because anything to do with white people is 'institutionally oppressive'.

Seriously, some of the beliefs people have nowadays about racism are insane. Some believe that minorities can't be racist because racism is apparently the holding of privilege and power over a minority. That means that in Western societies, it is only white people who can be racist because of bull# theories of white people automatically holding a superior amount of 'privilege'. Crazy, i know.

As for the topic at hand, i don't see any problems. Have a white appreciation day. Have a black appreciation day. As long as there is no racism (the actual definition of it applied) or other extremist acts, it shouldn't matter. People should be able to celebrate their cultural heritage and history without prejudice and hate from others. Minorities are allowed to do so. Why not whites?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Isnt every day white Americans day?

I think that fighting fire with fire isnt a good way to make any sort of point about how stereotypical views and one rule for one and one rule for another is rife and unfair.

What about a "human appreciation day", a day to celebrate how we have over come many things since we descended from the trees most recently our ability's AS A SPECIES attempt to ignore racial bias among'st our social interactions and relationships. Arnt people great everyone \o/

Might be thinking, "but biigs, we arnt that great at that!". Are all black people great for their history? Are all white people worthy of admiration? Are all Mexicans a credit to their heritage? No, but the ones that are, and there are many ARE worth a bit of praising once a year right?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
Isnt every day white Americans day?

No. I've heard certain people in the far left media claim it is. But it's clearly not.
There is no one dominant culture that is glorified every day all over the country.

+5 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

I totally agree with you on all counts..

Plus, the business owner is not even white.. he has noticed that whites are not "appreciated" in our communities anymore.. everything he says is correct.

Its like, to be PC we have to hate white people or something, and its getting ridiculous. And the discount is no different to offering discounts based on military service, or any other "group".

Plus.. seriously? They are receiving bomb threats and have to evacuate over this? OMG this is insane!

Link

Are white people really hated so much in America now?

edit on 10-5-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I wonder what will be on the menu?

Mashed patatoes
white rice
White Bread
Cauliflower.
Vanila Ice cream
Cottage cheese
and Milk

yummmm!!

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
the real racists in the world, are bitch slapping white folks in the usa for supporting equality.

link   
It's a good thing non-white people don't go on a rampage of rioting burning and looting when they feel slighted because this guys business would really be a target. It's such a shame that America isn't actively engaging in race replacement because it would lead to a crime free egalitarian utopia.

link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I wonder what will be on the menu?

Mashed patatoes
white rice
White Bread
Cauliflower.
Vanila Ice cream
Cottage cheese
and Milk