It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Chip

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The Chip comes with a 1GHz processor, 512 RAM and a storage of 4GB. In fact, you can easily load a lighter version of Debian on it. All of this at just $9 makes the Chip – $19 with the VGA adapter and $24 with the HDMI adapter – certainly one of the most interesting computers on hand. You can easily add PockectChip to it, allowing your small computer to have its own touch panel and a keyboard. The good thing is that you can always add on various features to the Chip.

Source

If you need a computer about the size of a credit card, look no further. The CHIP is a $9 single-board computer that runs Linux and can do just about anything you want it to… including play Quake.

The board includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth as well as optional ports for VGA and HDMI monitors. On board you’ll find a 1GHz processor, 512 RAM, and 4GB of storage. You can install a light version of Debian and you can even plug it into something called the PocketCHIP that adds a touchscreen and keyboard to the mix in a package about as big as the original Game Boy.

Source

One can consider the day when your PC is the size of a watch and the above is in relation the first effort to that goal.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

I don't see the point of it.

Making things smaller makes sense when it's medical, or maybe militarily - unless that's where this research is being funded from, but when it's just a normal computer, why bother?

'Microing' things is just a fad with no real use, other than to save space I guess when we all live in tiny space cubes. It's impressive that this can be achieved and wonders never cease for what purpose this could be used, but my opinion, and it is just an opinion, is that we should improve on technology first THEN make it small.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Actually in the 50's Radar Guns used today by Law Enforcement where about the size of a refrigerator.

Miniaturizing technology is generally consistent with the philosophy in relation to development.

I mean if one wanted to build a 100 inch big screen TV in the 60's it would take up a really large amount of space.

While today as long as you have the space it can be hung on a wall.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Yeah, the ability to play Quake is the really important part.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

My guess is that in 15 years something this size and for an equivalent price will run the equivalent to what is then the modern computer.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
In one hundred years such technology could be attached directly to the Human Brain.

Imagine responding to a thread at ATS by just thinking about it?

And you will be able to play Quake Virtually.

Any thought?
edit on 9-5-2015 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I think this is cool. I may put one in my truck with a small screen and wireless keyboard. One of those in a stereo would be boss. I imagine a computer in all sorts of places.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi
Definitely with this one is going to end up with a computer in ones Car, TV, Phone and Virtual devise.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think I'd prefer a raspberry pi2.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I agree with you so much right there I gave ya TWO!

This would make a great gift for my brother. I dont really think I would know what the heck to do with it. I really cannot stand having any gadgets with me during my day. I ditched my cell phone 5 months ago. But for the price I think I will go all in and have a few great gifts for my brother and a cousin of mine.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Yeah, the ability to play Quake is the really important part.
Lol nice one, so military use is definitely on the cards.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
In one hundred years such technology could be attached directly to the Human Brain.

Imagine responding to a thread at ATS by just thinking about it?

And you will be able to play Quake Virtually.

Any thought?

Wouldn't suit me...the way my mind works, i'd have thought myself out of a membership spot here almost instantly.

It's one thing to restrain myself while typing...it's another thing not to think it first.

BTW..it'll be a lot less time than 100 years. I'd be surprised if we didn't see something along these lines in 10 years.

Sooner if you include the new VR glasses about to hit the mass market...soon they'll incorporate the entire PC in the glasses themselves, after than it'll all be in your head.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Definitely with this one is going to end up with a computer in ones Car, TV, Phone and Virtual devise.

The more that I have thought about it I think I may order one of these to put in my truck just for the stereo. I would get a small touch screen and load an operating system with i tunes then I could plug in 1 terabit passport drive with all my music.

ATM I have my 160 gig i pod hooked up to the stereo however, I have a lot of music loaded that I have never listened to, but like the bands. I have always wanted to be able to delete songs that came on that I didn't like and this would work great for refining my playlists.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There are tons of possibilities for these 9 dollar computers. Firstly, if this gets produced and everyone has them, it will spur innovation in a lot of people, just like 3D printing has seen happen, and 3D printing is still in infancy.

This 9 dollar chip would be nice to have for data, telemetry in R/C aircraft, drones, etc. Being so cheap it would spark a lot of new ideas and uses since a larger and growing pool of humans would be playing around with them and sharing their ideas on the internet.

I would buy ten of these things right now if they were already available. Home security programming, spying devices, or do it yourself anything.

I want some now please.

edit on 10-5-2015 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

C.H.I.P. is a computer. It’s tiny and easy to use.

C.H.I.P. does computer things. Work in LibreOffice and save your documents to C.H.I.P.’s onboard storage. Surf the web and check your email over wifi. Play games with a bluetooth controller. With dozens of applications and tools preinstalled, C.H.I.P. is ready to do computer things the moment you power it on.

C.H.I.P. is a computer for students, teachers, grandparents, children, artists, makers, hackers, and inventors. Everyone really. C.H.I.P. is a great way to add a computer to your life and the perfect way to power your computer based projects.

This is apparently the web site it cites a release date of 26 more days as well as a lot of info on the devise.

Edit...looks more like December 2015 to May 2016.
edit on 10-5-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

Their is also a FAQ and one can ask questions.
edit on 10-5-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Cool, I appreciate it. I just ordered a few.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

We built C.H.I.P. to make tiny powerful computers more accessible and easier to use. A huge part of making C.H.I.P. accessible is making sure that it can change to meet the needs of the community. That's why both C.H.I.P. and PocketC.H.I.P. are both TOTALLY OPEN SOURCE. This means all hardware design files schematic, PCB layout and bill of materials are free for you the community to download, modify and use.

Can’t wait to get started developing on C.H.I.P.? Join our team! By backing at the Kernel Hacker level, you’ll get one of the first 1000 pre-release "Alpha" C.H.I.P. prototypes, hot off the reflow line *THIS SEPTEMBER* PLUS you’ll be first in line for five C.H.I.P.s and one PocketC.H.I.P. as soon as they are ready. This is a special backer level meant only for hardcore linux devs who want to make meaningful contributions toward helping us build C.H.I.P.’s kernel software. If that sounds like the kind of challenge you’d like to sink your teeth into, back at the Kernel Hacker level, and join us on the march towards open source glory! ╭( ・ㅂ・)

Same link as offered in my last response..

Yeah this sounds really interesting.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

The more that I have thought about it I think I may order one of these to put in my truck just for the stereo. I would get a small touch screen and load an operating system with i tunes then I could plug in 1 terabit passport drive with all my music.

ATM I have my 160 gig i pod hooked up to the stereo however, I have a lot of music loaded that I have never listened to, but like the bands. I have always wanted to be able to delete songs that came on that I didn't like and this would work great for refining my playlists.

'an operating system with itunes'?

forget it. the only desktop system you can use on that thing is linux, and because the cpu isn't x86, you won't be able to run itunes on it even using wine.

there's quite a lot of good music management software under linux, so in general it may work (for the touchscreen android could be better though), but no, you won't run itunes on that.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

I read the links and watched the videos it does work with i tunes. They specifically said it does.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: jedi_hamster

I read the links and watched the videos it does work with i tunes. They specifically said it does.

'works with' doesn't equal to 'can run'.

every ipod will work with itunes, that doesn't mean you can run itunes on them (excluding ipod touch i guess, but that's not the point, and it's not the desktop version of itunes anyway).

you're missing the point. such device is more like a smartphone than anything else when it comes to computing power - it's even less powerful than current high-end smartphones. you can store your music on it, you may be able to connect a harddrive via usb, and you may be able to access it via itunes - with itunes running on a regular computer, and accessing such device via wifi for example.

because of the cpu architecture though, there is no way in hell you'll be able to run desktop (osx/windows) version of itunes on it, nor any of those operating systems. you may run linux or - with a bit of luck - android, and that's it.
edit on 10-5-2015 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join