It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

democracy fail.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
There should be a box to tick on the bottom of ballot papers that says ... Non of those above
At least that way those who have no confidence in the politicians or politics in general would have a voice

There is - spoil your ballot. It's still counted.

The Tory's won
But I wonder what the vote would be if everyone in the country had vote as to whether they wanted to be ruled by the Tory party ... I would say the majority would say NO

Huh? People were asked all over the country and the majority of constituencies returned Tory MP's, hence they wanted a Tory Government.

Not everyone has a voice to represent them and for many there is no real choice

I don't know what ballot paper you were looking at, but there was plenty of choice from a wide range of candidates and parties.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Winston S. Churchill
“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.”

I think I'm with Churchill on this one.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Food banks - in the 21st century? Should we really be accepting food banks as a positive step in society? It's not just single parent families that are using these places, many disabled people use them too, so I can't see or grasp how this is progress.

Privatisation- hmmm, with privatisation, profit over people is the key thing here. We have seen the disaster that is ATOS in action. More privatisation equals profits being made from my hard earned taxes, I do not agree that it is a positive move whatsoever.

Tax Evasion - How is it difficult to deal with this? The entire taxation system needs to be simplified to ensure everyone in society pays what they are due to pay. No more loop holes, no more grey wooly areas.

Zero hours- as Cameron said, it suits some students, but more and more companies are jumping on this band wagon and in my opinion are scandalous for someone who is trying to better their circumstances. One week 40 hours, the next 20 hours, sometimes zero hours. In between working and not working, claims are made to Housing Benefit, which people are entitled to claim. However, Housing Benefit claims are taking up to three months to process, whereas Landlords are not willing to wait this long and eviction notices are sometimes issued within a month. It's a lie and scandalous one at that to claim they are a positive thing.

I believe the welfare state needed to be overhauled, but I also think it needed to be overhauled in a way that is both fair and compassionate. Unfortunately the Tories are punishing traditional Labour Supporters and to hell with the consequences. The consequences being someone deciding to take their own life simply because they have nowhere to turn or too vulnerable to understand what they need to do.

If you can work, you should. Work hard and reap the rewards, pay your taxes that should be put to use in helping others that need it the most. I must admit, I have both used the welfare system many moons ago and worked within the benefit system for many years. The amounts are quite paltry really, but the largest increase has been in Housing Benefit. Unfortunately many people who work 40 hours per week on minimum wage are still entitled to claim Housing Benefit, so it is not just the benefit recipients who claim this. How about moving all workers from needing to claim Housing Benefit, by paying a fair, livable wage? I doubt this will ever happen because business will cry foul, claim that it will cost millions of jobs, but really all they care about is their BIG fat profit margins, and screw the rest.

edit on 10/5/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Have a look at the BBC map of political England,it's nearly all conservative

The English spoke and said conservative

What's the problem?

With SNP taking away all the labour and liberal seats they did England a favour

Labour have never IMO been an English party that's why they used to get the big Scottish votes and the English would get Scottish PMs :-/

They used the same old class warfare smear all the time and play on politics of envy and try to frighten the public that conservatives will destroy the NHS

Democracy did not fail and you didn't even vote!

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

originally posted by: blupblup
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

You should give credit and put quotation tags around it.

when i wrote it myself?

fair enough... I see you posted it to many other sites the day before yesterday too.
I searched and it came up on a few different sites and that made me think you copied and pasted it.

It was absolutely spot on mate, can't argue with the content and if you wrote it then fair play my friend.
I'm writing a blues song at the moment, dealing with who will suffer under this gov etc

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

Just words.

There is little substance to what you are saying other than pointing out your dislike of the current political establishment particularly for the Conservatives and SNP.

You are more than entitled to do just that.

Does not make you right though when you make claims about destroying the NHS, which I think desperately needs to have more privatisation to survive.

Also you didn't lose your log in details, it appears you were banned, based on your posting so far, i can see why.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

There is - spoil your ballot. It's still counted.

But how is it viewed ... spoiling is related to vandalism

Huh? People were asked all over the country and the majority of constituencies returned Tory MP's, hence they wanted a Tory Government.

Not all people felt there was anyone worthwhile to vote for ... the majority of constituency who voted did return a Consertative Government that is fact ... But I am referring to those who chose to not vote because they felt there was no one worthy of their trust

I don't know what ballot paper you were looking at, but there was plenty of choice from a wide range of candidates and parties.

Yes that is true but if on the list there is no one you feel represents you ... then there is no appropriate box to tick

As for myself I did vote for one whom I know and trust ... He won his seat
Yet many people I know did not vote ... and their reasons are valid also

edit on 10-5-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Democracy, I do believe, is a fairly good form of government and works fairly well when it is fresh off of the heels of oppressive rule. In the end it fails just as all other forms of governance fail because men fail. Power brings greed and corruption and no men in government mortal have ever been able to avoid the inevitable failure because of this.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

But how is it viewed ... spoiling is related to vandalism

Its a perfectly acceptable voting tactic that goes back years. Why would it be "vandalism"?

Not all people felt there was anyone worthwhile to vote for ... the majority constituency who voted did return a Consertative Government that is fact ... But I am referring to those who chose to not vote because they felt there was no one worthy of their trust

Then spoil your ballot. If you can't even make the effort to get down the polling station or to investigate the multitude of candidates that stood, then you can't really complain.

Yes that is true but if on the list there is no one you feel represents you ... then there is no appropriate box to tick

Then spoil your ballot......

As for myself I did vote for one whom I know and trust ... He won his seat

Good man. That's the way you should vote - not for a party but the candidate.

Yet many people I know did not vote ... and their reasons are valid also

I don't think there is ever a valid reason to not vote. Our forefathers fought and died for freedom and the right to vote (not to mention that people are dying today for the right to vote) - to not even bother turning up to do so, even to spoil your ballot, is shameful.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

I think you have won me over on your point of view regarding voting
Even if that was to spoil my ballot paper

You make some good and valid points

Mine was a strategic vote ... I don't agree with the party my candidate is in
But do agree with how he conducts himself and represents my constituency/community
He has proved his salt over and over regarding that

edit on 10-5-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
Have a look at the BBC map of political England,it's nearly all conservative

The English spoke and said conservative

No they didn't. Most people said "No Conservatives. But because the election system favours only the party with the most votes in each constituency, it gave the false result that the country had voted mostly Conservative when in reality most people voted against the government.

What's the problem?

If you cannot see it, you are asleep.

With SNP taking away all the labour and liberal seats they did England a favour

That's a party-political argument, not a rational one.

Labour have never IMO been an English party that's why they used to get the big Scottish votes and the English would get Scottish PMs :-/

Labour is a British party, unlike the Tories who merely claim to be.

They used the same old class warfare smear all the time and play on politics of envy and try to frighten the public that conservatives will destroy the NHS

Spoken like a Tory. Actually, the Labour party use the language of fairness, which is of course a word that has no meaning for Tories like you.

Democracy did not fail and you didn't even vote!

What did not fail was the perverted version of democracy that you support because it nearly always props up your party.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Surely your not taking credit for that?

Needs to be in quotes

my words.

Sorry mate, i thought it sounded like a JFK speech so i googled it and it came up in a few other sites. So i thought you plagerised it.

So sorry for that, and its a brilliant bit of writing

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I wasn't band. I lost my details. It might have banned me for using the same email or something but I wasn't band, if it says otherwise then it's wrong and sadly you will have to either take my word for it or not.

There is nothing wrong with what I'm saying, it breaks none of the rules for this site. The idea that the NHS needs more privatization to survive is what is wrong with the new government. Look what happened to all the other things that were sold off to help them survive, the rise in train costs every year or so, my friend pays a lot of his money on the train ticket into London (he lives outside) the Royal Mail was sold off at a huge discount with most of the shares being held back for businesses not really letting people have a fair share, if I remember rightly no one person could buy for than a few shares while companies bought huge chunks of it, look at the energy companies that used to be owned by the whole country now we are paying through the nose to get the power we need.

Those are short versions of a long explanation for why I'm against the privatization of the NHS. I'm will admit that coming back to reply is a bit pointless because we're too far apart. I still stand by my words that we should all get a say in any future vote on independence if it effects the Union of the whole of the UK but I feel we will never meet in the middle. So I'll leave you with his; I respect that you have a difference of opinion and that we wont see eye to eye on the idea of a fair and free democratic UK wife vote...So like any sensible person I will say thanks for the debate.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: micpsi

Seeing as you mention "most people voted against the government", I thought I'd look at the figures...

If a PR system had been in place, the Tories would have won 250 odd seats and the Lib Dems would have won around another 50 sharing between them 44.8% of the vote.

So, considering they both formed the last Government, a sizeable minority agreed with the previous Government.

Factor in votes for UKIP (who are traditionally Tory voters for the most part) and you can add on another 12.6% of the vote, taking those three up to 57.4%.

Now, the LD would be most unlikely to want to partner with any coalition with UKIP in so it stands to reason the Tories would partner with UKIP, who would be the 3rd largest party under a PR system. Between them, they polled 49.5% of the vote and with the DUP taking 0.6%, that gives them a majority.

So, looking at the numbers of the vote share, it seems that the majority of the country does actually agree with conservative values and politics.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join