It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the next possible Scotish referendum involve the whole of the UK and not just Scotland?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
With a big SNP victory theres a lot of talk about another referendum regarding Scotish independance at some point in the future.

As an Englishman I was in favour of it at the last one as I felt the Scot's had a right to claim independant rule.

My question is simple. After a no vote last time should any future referendum involve the whole of the UK as 3 other nations never had a chance to voice there opinion on weather Scotland should remain a part of the UK.

Genuine question and try and keep it relativley civil this time people @P

LOL to any one that saw that straight away I missed the "just" out. that looked very anttagonistic

edit on 9/5/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

In a way I understand the argument as it does have implications and consequences for the whole of the UK.
But honestly... no.
The only people who should choose their own fate are the Scottish people.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Does it not affect the other 3 nations involved also though?

Do we not have a right to assist in that decision based on what we feel is best for us?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Nope, I think it should be the decision of the Scots alone, but get it over with some time before I die though so we can all move on.

What is your opinion?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Nope, I think it should be the decision of the Scots alone, but get it over with some time before I die though so we can all move on.

What is your opinion?

I am am undecided hence the question.

I know a great many Scots who all voted for independance and I felt they were right to do so.

With the recent election result one could assume that a huge majority for a nationalist party shows that the bulk of Scotland want what is best for Scotland and I respect that but we are supposed to be a United Kingdom and with such seperatism it makes me wonder if it is time for the end perhaps.

I ask the question as I feel I should have as much a say in there contiuation within the UK as maybe they do.

Just musings and speculation.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

What if... the majority of Scotland voted 'no' and Wales, N.I. and England voted 'yes'? Could they force us to leave, lol?

To answer your question though, no I think it should be up to Scotland to decide if we can govern ourselves.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

What if... the majority of Scotland voted 'no' and Wales, N.I. and England voted 'yes'? Could they force us to leave, lol?

To answer your question though, no I think it should be up to Scotland to decide if we can govern ourselves.

Well yes in a word.

As above if this is a supposed union and 3 nations feel that one is not working for the benifit of the whole then should we not have the right to choose the outcome of our union?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
There is a present petition calling for the North of England to be able to join Scotland ... as they have more in common with Scotland than South of Nottingham ... I kid you not

" Allow the north of England to secede from the UK and join Scotland"

www.change.org... nment-allow-the-north-of-england-to-secede-from-the-uk-and-join-scotland?recruiter=293276965&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaig n=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default
edit on 9-5-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
There is a present petition calling for the North of England to be able to join Scotland ... as they have more in common with Scotland than South of Nottingham ... I kid you not

" Allow the north of England to secede from the UK and join Scotland"

www.change.org... -government-allow-the-north-of-england-to-secede-from-the-uk-and-join-scotland?recruiter=293276965&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_c ampaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default

I saw that earlier.

you forgot to give any personal insight as regards the question in my thread though?

I eagerly await your opinion

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I just can't be doing with all the divisive crap from both sides. Nationalism is as stupid as religion

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I just can't be doing with all the divisive crap from both sides. Nationalism is as stupid as religion

So is that a yes or a no then?

I asked the question because of the same issues you seem dissapointed at yet you have not given a full opinion?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific I don't care, if people want to make a big fuss about this then let them. I'm not playing

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I love Scotland and would be happy to join them and would like the option of doing so

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: nonspecific I don't care, if people want to make a big fuss about this then let them. I'm not playing

A fair point but in my opinion it's a big question for the UK as a whole on many levels.

Enjoy your evening

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

I love Scotland and would be happy to join them and would like the option of doing so

Depending on your nationality that is most possibly an option.

Would this be as part of the UK or as an independant nation?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
PS I am from Yorkshire

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
My question is simple. After a no vote last time should any future referendum involve the whole of the UK as 3 other nations never had a chance to voice there opinion on weather Scotland should remain a part of the UK.

I have never come across a situation where a larger party kicked out another. Australia maybe.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I believe in decentralisation of power ...
So yes Independent

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

That needs to still be drawn a lot more south than that, I'm a stokie andhave much more in common with those up north than the lager shandy drinking pussies further south, better off using the dane law line as a guide

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Our voting system is fundamentally flawed
We do not have proportional representation

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join