It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blame it on the Mojo LOL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Blame it on the Mojo LOL

Something prompted me to look upon the origins of coffee today and what I discovered was interesting to my mind. The story of its origins goes to the Ethiopian region of Kaffa, here they call it buno (raw bean or wine of the bean) and a town in Yemen called Mocha which originated the chocolate flavored coffee, it was a major trade center for the mocha coffee bean. Later when it was introduced to Europe it was known as caffe which also became known as coffee.

When i went reading I was amazed to discover a cute story behind its origins in Sufi monasteries in Yemen where coffee was consumed to stay alert while doing late night time prayer.

The Story:

"Kaldi, noticing that when his flock nibbled on the bright red berries of a certain bush they became more energetic (jumping goats), chewed on the fruit himself. His exhilaration prompted him to bring the berries to an Islamic monk in a nearby monastery, but the monk disapproved of their use and threw them into a fire, from which an enticing aroma billowed. The roasted beans were quickly raked from the embers, ground up, and dissolved in hot water, yielding the world's first cup of coffee.[1] "The myth of Kaldi the Ethiopian goatherd and his dancing goats, the coffee origin story most frequently encountered in Western literature, embellishes the credible tradition that the Sufi encounter with coffee occurred in Ethiopia, which lies just across the narrow passage of the Red Sea from Arabia's western coast."

Kaldi Origins

Kaldi Meaning - creates individuality, independence, self-confidence, initiative, and an inclination to physical activity.

The Story:

According to legend, a local monk named Mullah (I am skeptical here because the term "mullah" is a title, not a name. A "Mullah" is a Muslim learned in Islamic theology and sacred law. But, the title "Mullah" did not appear until the 17th century, 600 years after this story, so perhaps there was someone named "Mullah.") noticed this beverage and its effect upon both goats and humans and asked for a bag of the berries. He returned to his monastery and proceeded to plant and grow the trees/bushes around the religious center. The berries were highly valued by the monks because the drink they produced helped keep him and his fellow monks awake and attentive during their prayers.

Mullah Origins

Mullah Meaning -A religious teacher or leader, especially in Shiite practice. Used as a form of address for such a teacher.

MAPS of Kaffa, Ethiopia and Mocha, Yemen

If you take a look at this utube video, the presenter states that coffee helped in turning us away from alcohol during the dark ages.

So what I thought about was: Was a hidden hand involved in bringing coffee to us?

Being that the Sufi monasteries brought this to us, would you say that it was a master divine plan to push us in a new direction. A subtle intervention by the greater divine ? Was it a little gift from above, a little something to motivate us ? Or was it simply another religious group utilizing and embellishing something for their own purpose for the greater good and to move us or motivate us in a particular direction ? Were they trying to teach something to the masses ?

"Classical Sufi scholars have defined Sufism as "a science whose objective is the reparation of the heart and turning it away from all else but God".[9] Alternatively, in the words of the Darqawi Sufi teacher Ahmad ibn Ajiba, "a science through which one can know how to travel into the presence of the Divine, purify one's inner self from filth, and beautify it with a variety of praiseworthy traits" Muslims and mainstream scholars of Islam define Sufism as simply the name for the inner or esoteric dimension of Islam."

So the Sufi monasteries were drinking coffee so they could devote more time toward their inner searches of enlightenment and they thought it would be a good idea to share it with the world.

Coffee apparently went through some tough times, even being temporarily banned (similar to alcohol) before being passed on as a beneficial beverage for our delightful consumptious intake. Do you think it is kinda odd that it went through this tribulation only to triumph as a vigorous and energetic creation. So today I rejoice in this powerful liquid creation. I enjoyed the story of how it came about and the struggles it had of becoming. I feel for me that it can represent the struggles and hardships we all endure in our lives. So the next time I sip my good ole cup of mojo this is what I will be thinking about.

leolady

edit on 9-5-2015 by leolady because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Great thread! I was just watching a video about a week ago that talked about some of what you have in here...and about the benefits of coffee. They were talking about how coffee can be really healthy if you get fresh beans and roast them yourself or have em roasted...the point being you are drinking the coffee quickly after being roasted. I have always had a thing for coffee and would love to grow my own..and even open up a coffee place.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Interesting read ... Thanks for posting ... You learn something new everyday
All this talk of coffee mmm ... time to get the cafetiere out and put the kettle on

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Glad you enjoyed.

Funny you mention opening a coffee place. We have thought of that as well. Start a coffee shop.
Kaffa would be a good name for it I think.

I never knew this story of the history behind coffee so i guess its good to know.

leolady

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Wonderful and insightful read. Thank you for that!

Coffee apparently went through some tough times, even being temporarily banned (similar to alcohol) before being passed on as a beneficial beverage for our delightful consumptious intake. Do you think it is kinda odd that it went through this tribulation only to triumph as a vigorous and energetic creation. So today I rejoice in this powerful liquid creation. I enjoyed the story of how it came about and the struggles it had of becoming. I feel for me that it can represent the struggles and hardships we all endure in our lives. So the next time I sip my good ole cup of mojo this is what I will be thinking about.

Beautiful!

"a science through which one can know how to travel into the presence of the Divine, purify one's inner self from filth, and beautify it with a variety of praiseworthy traits" Muslims and mainstream scholars of Islam define Sufism as simply the name for the inner or esoteric dimension of Islam."

The mystical root of all religion unifies them as one.

Again, fun and informative post.

From a devoted tea drinker,

Involutionist.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

The mystical root of all religion unifies them as one.

Coffee brought forth to unify all religions as one. Coffee as a unifier... :-)

This diagram is meant to show that the common truth behind all world religion is the idea that everyone is God. In the outer sections of the circle we have the outer mysteries of religion. That is the rules, the rituals and regulations. In the inner part of the circle is depicted the mystical heart of each religion, the mystical practices and disciplines designed to bring people into union with God. Towards the centre we find God. The ultimate truth and ground of all being. Though God is given different names, the assertion here is that all the different labels are really referring to the same thing

Unification of Religion

leolady
edit on 11-5-2015 by leolady because: (no reason given)

top topics

join