It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One lonely duck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
My friends have chickens. When they ordered them from the hatchery they also got 3 Mallard duck chicks. Well, one male duck was killed (we think by roosters). The female got sick and died. That left the other male. He had his own little space but didn't seem to be doing well. We put it down to loneliness. My friend put him in with the chickens and he's doing much better. There's this hen that's tan and brown speckled. That duck is fascinated with her. He follows her everywhere and she is never out of his sight. He even roosts next to her.
I think he hangs out with her so much because her colors are so close to his that he might think she's another duck. Then again, he might know that she's a chicken but really likes her. They haven't tried to mate or anything, that I know of. I've never actually heard of ducks mating with chickens but I guess it might be possible. I wonder if they could reproduce. If so, would you call the offspring a chuck or a dicken? Anywho, I was just out watching them and think it's the funniest thing watching him follow that hen around and thought that I'd share.
edit on 9-5-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Not unusual for a duckling to seek a mother figure, more unusual for a chicken to accept it as its own, if thats whats occurring its a rarer and really cool.

When animals are suddenly orphaned they usually die of melancholy. Good idea on your part to put it in with the chickens.

They won't breed. Maybe get another Mallard and see if ducklings happen?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

What I should have said before was that both the chickens and the ducks were hatchlings when my friends got them. They basically grew up together. Not that the ducks and chickens ever hung together. The ducks kept to themselves and I never noticed him paying any attention to her. Now that the other ducks are gone and he's alone he does.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Friend of mine kept chickens and one of the hens kept getting all broody, so I offered to go to the local hatchery and get some chicks for her, he agreed. When I got there they only had day old ducklings so I got six of them

Anyways, we put them under her and she took to them straight away! The only problem was the pond! The ducks would go swimming and the hen would run circles around the pond LOL

One day a Doberman dog came visiting and the broody hen attacked the dog! Chickens may not be very bright, but they got guts!

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Aww...that was such a nice story!
Sometimes you just need a nice story.

Thank you.
S&F
jacygirl

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

That's funny about the pond. I can just picture the hen running around it in a panic.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I was just out watching them a little bit ago. He noticed that she was across the yard so he hurried over to her. I'm trying to talk my friend into getting pics of them together.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

How sweet! Better yet, get a video of them and for heaven sake, get that poor duckling a duckling friend.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I'll try to get a video.
My sister in law is going to the place where they ordered the chicks. If they get ducks in with the chickens she'll bring them over. I was just out and his hen friend was off with the rooster for a little "alone time". The poor guy looked so lost and lonely.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Awwwww, poor little ducky needs to be with other ducks.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Yes he does. I hope he gets some duck friends soon.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Yes he does. I hope he gets some duck friends soon.

I do, too. Otherwise he's sure to become a chuk or dicken and lose all hope, lol.

I'm always envious of this. I wish I lived some where I could free range some egg layers. Its in my blood but I am hopelessly stuck in modern megalopolis. The only food we can buy here is prepared for us.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So...does little ducky have a friend yet??????????

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

No, the poor guy. They haven't ordered any chicks yet. He's still hanging around the hen. They're the best of friends.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Awwwww. Would love to see a video or pics of that!

join