It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky ‘free range’ family loses custody of 10 kids over apparent ‘unschooling’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
While I don't think that CPS or anyone has any business messing with this family, I don't believe that the shelter is sufficient.

. . . and if a child was endangered and CPS did nothing - - - there'd be another thread on ATS.

I've dealt with CPS - - they are definitely a pain - - but necessary. Not all parents are good parents.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

If they want to investigate and interview based on the comments from people in the community, that's fine. But they had no right to seperate the children from their parents or interview the children without consent from the parents.

There doesn't appear to be any sign of malnutrition, abuse, or lack of education. CPS's actions are unreasonable.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

and if a child was endangered and CPS did nothing - - - there'd be another thread on ATS.

Exactly. I have experience with them too, from several angles.....
this is a very interesting little drama to me, accordingly. I've been on the parent side, the worker side, the mandated reporter side.....

it's a very [tr]icky mess.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

This family seems to want their kids to live a more natural life style and I have nothing against that at all. I would say that instead of removing the kids,they should have just had the family come in and test all the kids to see what level their education is at,and if it is appropriate for their age group.I believe if the parents had nothing to hide,it would have been easier for them to just lay out the material they are using to teach their kids the basics and show where their progress is for each.

This makes sense. What I dont get is where did they get the electricity to keep blogging if they had to threaten neighbours for fresh water whilst living under tarps? Something doesn't add up.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

But they had no right to seperate the children from their parents

They did if someone reported the family for neglect or abuse issues....

or interview the children without consent from the parents.

Well, that depends. There are laws that allow workers to talk to kids who report their own situation (for example, via their teachers) without the parents knowledge. It's complicated.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'll be eager to hear more about the story. My point is if they were stealing water, they should arrest the person who was doing it, NOT separate the children from their mother as some kind of punishment or control mechanism. That's what I think is happening. The people of the town seem to be just gossips who have a grudge on this family.

To me the act of stealing water is immaterial. My problem is again concern for the children. Because when confronted about stealing the water The father ask his teenage son to get his pistol out of the glove box.

Despite my opinion on the living conditions, involving his children like that is completely irresponsible and showing no regard for his children's safety.

edit on 9-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

If they want to investigate and interview based on the comments from people in the community, that's fine. But they had no right to seperate the children from their parents or interview the children without consent from the parents.

There doesn't appear to be any sign of malnutrition, abuse, or lack of education. CPS's actions are unreasonable.

Oh yes they do have the right to separate the children from their parents.

The parents refused to cooperate with CPS - - you don't do that.

As I said - - I've dealt with CPS. They are a necessary "evil" - - as many children really are endangered. Any woman can give birth. Doesn't mean she is mentally well or capable of being a parent. Children are automatically protected by government. Another necessary "evil" - - because not all people are good people.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Yes. It seems (to me, so far, as very shallow as my knowledge of the case is) that the father did behave in a negligent way about the water thing. Involving his kid in the squabble was out of line.

Bad form. Same with the mom pitching a fit when authorities were trying to talk to her kids. Very suspicious behavior.

BUT - we shall see how this plays out.
Have you by any chance seen the movie "Home Front"? This reminds me of that movie.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Children are automatically protected by government. Another necessary "evil" - - because not all people are good people.

Exactly. I was a mandated reporter for years....decades. I was, before that, subject to inspections by CPS as a registered day-care provider. I was also a worker who was called to interview kids who'd reported problems to their teachers....and I also was a "subject" when my infant son turned up with a fractured leg after coming home from daycare.

Several very interesting stories I have to tell.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

this is an interesting point i havent seen come up yet.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Hell, they're going to have to connect with that great wide world. Have their parents given them the best education? There are ten kids, all at different ages.

I havent been able to delve too deep into their blog about any religious beliefs so I cant comment if they are "nut jobs". However I will say that the "modern education" system that you are in love with was bought about by the like of the Rockeffelers in the early 20th century. Is this your opinion of a "best education"? But as your wife is an educator this post will probably not make sense to you.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It doesn't add up for me. The outpouring of support From this community both on social media, gofundme, and the local news comments, and the negatives about this neighbor, i dunno.

We weren't there and no one witnessed what happened. If a gun was drawn the police should have handled it, but a call to CPS and the neighbors negative comments on the local news story, not sure I believe this neighbor.

And its One neighbor that is doing all of this and his named is used on both the Local news reports and in the comments.

9 out of 10 comments I have read from the locals support this family.

Why would he pull a gun over some ones water source when the article clearly stated there were multiple public places for water? Or did the neighbor pull a gun first?

Seems to be level headed people, why go all Jesse James over some one else s property?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Now if you take a group of people like that, that expresses concern for a member of their community. You can be pretty sure they know what they're talking about. I did not hear in any of the reports anyone from that community express concern over Home schooling.

To a person they were concerned about the children's safety.

Yes, but we don't know if every one of those people who expressed "concern" were working together to defame the family,
or
if they were all just pissed off at the parents
or
if the kids are actually in danger.

Don't forget how villages in Colonial days (and also back in England) used to have 'witches' as scapegoats, and then things like the Salem Witch Trials happened. MANY TIMES, eccentric villagers - or women/widows who lived alone outside the town (with a cat) - or those who generally were disliked - were shunned, ostracized, persecuted, and blamed for everything from bad weather to the death of a steer to a stillborn child.

Superstition. Bad.

edit on 5/9/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

The attacks on the family has been going on for decades. Single parent families have been the norm for many years. Families that must have both parents working to get by has also been the norm for decades and the government working with farming industry to destroy the family farm has also become a normalcy in our society. The attack on the family has been standard operating procedure for at least since Nixon yet so many claim this is a new thing.

In 1980 there was 30,000 family farms in Nebraska today there is 3,000 thanks to agra industry and government. Isn't the family farm the perfect model for a family both socially and economically? Yet the struggle by industry to eliminate all competition and the complicit government has directly lead to the decline of the family unit in the USA.

Pure gold, Coulnt have said it better myself..thank you

Corporate Fascism is what western "democracies" struggle under today.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Hell, they're going to have to connect with that great wide world. Have their parents given them the best education? There are ten kids, all at different ages.

I havent been able to delve too deep into their blog about any religious beliefs so I cant comment if they are "nut jobs".

They are LDS. Something I personally highly respect, as I was LDS for several years.

However, the "alleged" behavior of the father is not OK.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

And its One neighbor that is doing all of this and his named is used on both the Local news reports and in the comments.

Exactly. Village doings. The complaining neighbor has no witnesses....it is just his 'word' on it. And none of us were there.
Sheesh I hope this all just goes away and the family can be left in peace - as long as they are NOT neglecting, abusing, etc.

If it's an issue between the adults, then that's where it should stay. That's one of the problems that CPS deal with. They have to discern between actual cause and just some grudge-holding hater 'reporting' someone.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

But they had no right to seperate the children from their parents or interview the children without consent from the parents.

You are wrong.

You don't mess with CPS. You cooperate with CPS.

They do have the legal right to remove your children from the home.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Well I highly doubt they are snake handlers either.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Guess they forgot that this is the "land of the free"(tm)*

Why would you trademark your quote and then advocate overturning our overlords? You do realize "trademarks" and "patents" require you "buying into" the system I hope. Care to explain the disconnect? Truly curious.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The bright side is the gofundme is steadily going higher, depending on how hard the government goes down on them they already have 10k for attorney plus a new well and I would imagine enough to finish there cabin by tomorrow they will have enough for a barn as well.

I imagine they will get a lot of physical help to clean the place up, but from the videos I have watched is no worst than most stereotypical redneck property

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join