It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky ‘free range’ family loses custody of 10 kids over apparent ‘unschooling’

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

A lawyer and/or therapist chosen by the family would be perfectly fine

No. Not fine.

CHOSEN BY A JUDGE.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

A lawyer and/or therapist chosen by the family would be perfectly fine

No. Not fine.

CHOSEN BY A JUDGE.

Somebody really doesn't understand (or doesn't want to) why children are separated from the situation, including parents.

Always reminds me of the Gloria Vanderbuilt case.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

If their health is poor, of course that is an issue. In that case, offering help, instead of taking the kids, seems a better solution.

And that is what, in theory, the CPS tries to do. I don't live in Kentucky, so I don't know their 'criteria' for removal.....but in general, CPS everywhere is determined to keep the family together - the LAST thing they want to do is remove kids. It is literally the LAST resort decision.

I am curious, though, about why and how the place they were staying is shown online,
The mother posted them herself.

since CPS cases are supposed to be confidential.

That's why the Kentucky CPS is not talking about it to meida.

Then there is the little fact that in almost any case in which kids are taken, the conditions are described as poor. It gets suspicious after a while.

Again, I fully understand your reluctance to accept the intervention system.
If you read the blog posts from all over (for which I have provided links), you'll see the multiple sides of "the story".
It isn't about being "poor".....

It's about these kids being neglected. No vaccinations, no supervision FROM INFANCY, no adequate shelter, and they all smell like pee. Injuries, food-poisoning, etc.

edit on 5/13/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
dbl post
edit on 5/13/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I have a solution. A letter writing email campaign to habitats for humanity. I believe if they lived in a true structure with running water and a septic system. The issue would resolve itself.

It would, absolutely.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Thanks for the reply. I already have, I was a builder and I have volunteered people and supplies and worked for habitat for Humanity in Kentucky. I haven't written any letters but I made some phone calls and people I know seem interested.

I will update you in a couple weeks.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I will update you in a couple weeks.

That would be awesome.

What makes me sad is that it takes orgs like Habitat for Humanity to pitch in, and activists to talk about recycle/reuse/repurpose. And that some political factions want to erase those ideas.

It should, In My Opinion, be a national quest. A collective decision.
Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
(And if that isn't a strong enough incentive, treat others the way you would like for your FAMILY MEMBERS to be treated if they were in care of an org outside of your family - like a hospital, or hospice, or .... whatever).

To me, it makes perfect sense to help those who are struggling....to help them understand what THEY can do to improve THEIR OWN situation. To help them get started....to help them be motivated.....

idk... rambling now. I'm trying my best. Thanks for your post.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
um they have almost $46k on gofundme and they would be allowed to use it for housing. I don't think they should be allowed to use Habitat for Humanity.

Or I think they would be disqualified
This is what gofundme has what they can spend so far:

$25,000 - Physical materials and upgrades including labor costs to the home including a fence, finishing a new primary living structure, and permanent solutions for clean water and electricity.

$3,000 - Purchase of laptops or phones and other technology aids and a reading library of age-appropriate books for their children.

$15,000 - Purchase of a newer, more reliable 15-passenger van for family transportation.

$2,000 - Possible unforeseen expenses related to the children being kept in the home such as the cost of travel to fight this and time off work from Nicole’s pet grooming business.

Sorry for the edits it also appears gofundme have removed the comment section as it was growing much more negative from comments from there neighbors. gofundme

edit on 13-5-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

The judges and the CPS work together, and seek convictions, not truth.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

I'd say they seek answers and what's in the best interest of the children.

Quite a jump there, straight into convictions.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

And family lawyers protect the family... you think they care about the truth?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

They would, and so would a therapist, in many cases. Come on, you never heard of false memories implanted by psychologists?

Yes, of course I did. You are talking about "regression therapy" and so forth. And the difference between a skilled Clinical Social Worker and a "Psychologist" is something beyond your comprehension.

Only in part. Much of the supposed "testimony" from the kids in that case was not from regression therapy, but from leading questions and rewards, and the like, because the woman doing the interviews was determined that she knew the truth, and would do anything to prove it.

And plus, those things were quite a while ago weren't they?

Gee, and all psychologists since are perfect, and unable to make the same mistakes? Um, no.

I want to present the case of Ted Kaczinsky to you. He was ill as a BABY, and his mother was not allowed to see him when he was in the hospital........and he received no nurturing while he was there.
During that time period, he adopted a "flat affect" - and was no longer responding to the smiles of others. He shut himself down. Then he became the UNABOMBER.
Remember him?

So, separating him from his mother didn't work out so well. Relevance?

Sure, I know the stories of hypnotists and quacks implanting memories into people when regression therapy was new.
It doesn't happen like that anymore. A skilled Clinical Social Worker knows how to meet the client where they are, and especially with little kids, a LOT can be learned by the art a person makes, or the play-situation they invent.

There are other ways to lead a witness, especially a child. Those still happen, and so do leading questions under hypnosis. It's difficult to NOT ask a leading question. Some psychologists can do the work properly, and some cannot. Hence the NEED for an observer on the side of the parents. Innocent until proven guilty, right? Oh, wait, that never applies in CPS cases.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Of course you'd say that. You also stated elsewhere that children are "markers" for payment, for the school system.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And family lawyers protect the family... you think they care about the truth?

The point is that both sides need to be represented. Recordings of all questioning of children need to be made, and available to both sides, so that it can be shown that nothing untoward happened during the questioning. If both sides can see what happens, everything is more likely to stay above board. In a case with real abuse or neglect, the court could then show that their conclusions were accurate. In cases where that is questionable, the defense has a chance to see what occurs in questioning of the children, to be sure that it's done the right way.

The children do need to be asked about issues, of course, but there is no reason not to record, and also to allow a representative of the family to view the sessions, unseen by the children. It's the truth we are after, right?

Do we know if these kids were actually in poor health or not? I have seen that mentioned as a possibility, but haven't seen it verified thus far. If they are in poor health because of inadequate care, that needs to be addressed. If it's just a case of the parents not being able to afford it, and there is no abuse, that can be hand;;ed easily by getting them some aid. If there is abuse, that's a whole other ballgame, of course. Isolated kids and abuse could go hand in hand. I just hope we can get actual facts, and not supposition. Too often, I have read about kids in abusive homes that were not removed, who ended up dead or seriously injured, and other kids from good homes removed for false allegations.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

And at the end of the day I am willing to bet you would believe the guy/girl representing the family because your mind seems to be made up about the state.

It seems more likely then not based on the conditions and them having to steal food and water they these kids health is in question.

Has any one asked why this family is having so many kids that they seem to not have the means to take care of?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Of course you'd say that. You also stated elsewhere that children are "markers" for payment, for the school system.

Right. I stated public schools plan a budget by student count. The student is an assigned "marker" in that budget. Why would I say that? Because it's fact.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The point is that both sides need to be represented. Recordings of all questioning of children need to be made, and available to both sides, so that it can be shown that nothing untoward happened during the questioning. If both sides can see what happens, everything is more likely to stay above board. In a case with real abuse or neglect, the court could then show that their conclusions were accurate. In cases where that is questionable, the defense has a chance to see what occurs in questioning of the children, to be sure that it's done the right way.

I totally agree with this. Secrecy is not appropriate. Nor is manipulation.

I starred your post.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

So, separating him from his mother didn't work out so well. Relevance?

The relevance is that he was an infant, and certainly too young to "remember" the event. Yet, I scarred him for life. It resulted in Reactive Attachment Disorder.

We know that a baby who never receives interaction (aside from being fed and diapered) from the care provider will "shut down". It turns babies into people who have no ability to be close to anyone, or trust anyone, or care about anyone.

If you think of it in those terms, the youngest now (a toddler, I believe) won't have 'conscious' memories but their persona will be shaped by the circumstances/nurture factor. If a baby is taken from an unfit parent and given to a responsible, caring, educated family the baby can do just fine, and grow up to fit in with society and to have empathy, friends, close relationships, etc.

That was my point.
Now, finding GOOD foster parents is a whole 'nuther subject, but one that is part of the system also.
Yes, there are horror stories of "foster parents" who neglect, even kill their wards. Not cool at all. The system recognizes this, and again - they WANT to keep the family intact if at all possible.
That's when "case managers" get involved. The kids stay at home, but the parents are required to comply with certain standards, and given the tools and training to do so before the supervision ends and the family can be safely left alone.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

*it
it scarred Ted Kaczyinski for life.
Not "I" scarred him.
Sorry about that.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

*it
it scarred Ted Kaczyinski for life.
Not "I" scarred him.
Sorry about that.

Yeah, but he had other issues, as in paranoid schizophrenia.

That tends to be a physical/chemical issue that can activate at any age. Often after puberty.

I learned a lot about it researching Autism.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join