It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Congress literally doesn’t care what you think

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Oh snap, are you saying I am geographically ignorant?

So....the land of Olivia Newton John, I don't know where that is? Was she married to that guy from Sweden?? No wait, that was Linda Ronstadt, no wait, that was Yvonne Elliman, no wait...that was Agnetha. (showing I am NOT geographically nor pop culturally illiterate).

Nope, never heard of where Foster's Beer was from, nor koalas or tie me kangaroo down, Matilda.

Australia, Botany Bay, penal colony. Hmmm.

Budgie smugglers...lol. Maybe Crocodile Dundee just wanted to find out if it was a man?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

I prostrate myself before thee, beg forgiveness and offer citizenship on this post alone.

You are the exception to the rule.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
Then why are you so interested in our backyard?

Isn't there enough going on in Australian politics and in your backyard? Make a thread about Australian politics so we can stand around looking at your backyard and commenting on how you have a lot of weeds in it.

Probably the same reason everyone in the world is looking in your backyard. It has a tendency to affect everyone else's backyard and it's rarely in a positive way.

The US is a global leader, I think it's prudent for everyone to be looking.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: Daedal

Just vote man...and everything will be ok

Ha ha haha ha ha ha ha.....

Thx for that!!! Really needed this!
As it is interesting, the more we (they) vote, the less gets done........is the exact massage I'm getting out if this

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
.....and we wonder why the gov must have ops like that of ....wait for it.....Jade Helm....

Pretty obvious the gov / congress of circuses knows this, right?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorinoFer

originally posted by: PeachesNCream
Taxation without representation...Way back when this started a revolution now it's like the majority don't care. Sad.

They don't care as long as food stamps still work.

Wait till that is taken away.

Living on food boxes for a good few yeara, i ate as good or better then i ever did on FS, when they take them away, maybe people will realize there's more food that was out there then ever known. There is food stored in warehouses waiting to be procured ..aka...donated.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
sadly this will remain the case until term limits and lobbying restrictions laws are passed. i'm not holding my breath for that.
even people that get elected vowing to change this don't, they either get all caught up in the game, get run out of town by the ones already entrenched there and or voted out thru the next election, or they get frustrated and quit before they can build support to pass these laws.

Lobbying restrictions will not do it, elections need to be 100% publically funded thereby putting public servants back on the "WE THE PEOPLE" payroll. There need to be vast restrictions on going to work in industries overseen while in office - to avoid bribery after the fact so to speak as well.

As for 'non-campaign informational' advertising by interest parties that will need strict checks on the verasity of it's content. I'm not sure how this would be handled because interested groups should be able to comment on issues but a balance needs to be maintained. The old 'fairness doctrine' comes to mind as a starting point but often issues are multi-faceted with many stakeholders.

Ideally, in my imagination, people are drafted for office by the people based on many factors. An open-source program could select candidates. Any one who wants elective office is in some way unfit to govern. That's one reason I prefer the parliamentary system where you vote for a party not a person and then the party selects it's most qualified people for the various offices.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

originally posted by: WarminIndy
Then why are you so interested in our backyard?

Isn't there enough going on in Australian politics and in your backyard? Make a thread about Australian politics so we can stand around looking at your backyard and commenting on how you have a lot of weeds in it.

Probably the same reason everyone in the world is looking in your backyard. It has a tendency to affect everyone else's backyard and it's rarely in a positive way.

The US is a global leader, I think it's prudent for everyone to be looking.

And from Alan Watts:

In known history, nobody has had such capacity for altering the universe than the people of the United States of America. And nobody has gone about it in such an aggressive way.
Alan Watts

Read more at www.brainyquote.com...

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I can see this ending badly for these corporations that fancy themselves "people."
As in CEO's swinging from ropes bad.
I may be wrong. Only time will tell.

I see that day coming as well, a modernized "french revolution" hopefully without the PTB influence. I expect though it will include not just CEO's of national/multinational corporations, but also politicians, government officials and bankers, international or otherwise. It's sad, I would like to see a transition based on consensus, but the status quo are not going to let go of their positions and ivory towers built on the backs of we serfs.

People are getting pissed off, all there has to be is ONE unifying trigger and society will snowball all out of control. But the PTB know this and if that fuse is "lit" I do expect it works with their agenda.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/9.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If what is said in the study is true. I have no reason to disbelieve it as it lines up with everything that is going on and has been going on for decades now. I would like to know how the same people continue to be elected and reelected over and over again. If Congress is not listening to the people and the people realize it how in the world can they continue to be elected.
I will give you my impression. It is because the people will vote for the person who will promise them the most. It does not really matter about all of the money that corporations put into the election or a particular person. If the person promises free stuff for the masses they will be voted for. The cure will be to vote against your best interest ie: Vote for the person who will help put the nation back on course no matter what the consequences. Not gonna happen. This country will only return to greatness when people look at their rep or senator and see the trouble they have caused and get rid of them.
Whenever polls about the direction of the country come out the majority of the people will say that the country is headed in the wrong direction. But it is not their rep or senator that is doing it it is everyone else s. And the beat goes on!!

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Remember, congress works for the people -- and corporations are now people!

We can't restrict donations by corporations though, as that would be infringing upon their freedom of speech (because they're people!).

I do find it a bit unfair, as the system is "pay to play" and the average person's voice ($) isn't nearly as powerful as a multi-billion dollar corporation's voice ($$$$$).

It seems like when it comes to politicians getting money everyone has a right to give so corporations now have become people. So why are they not taxed like people but are taxed in a special class call corporate taxes. It seems the money eyed politicians want it both way which ever will line their pockets. Just like the inside trading issue they claim that the courts have no standing since they are a different branch of the government to bring charges against congress.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Some people need a study to learn this? Has not the past several decades not proven this beyond a doubt? Have Congresses actions over the years haven't been clear enough? They don't care,they haven't cared and they will never care.
edit on 113131p://4426 by mike dangerously because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I understand now why Napoleon, said "Kill all the Attorneys".

Viva La Napoleon!

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It is good to read about this study, but not really a surprise to me. My own informal and undocumented observations have led to the same conclusion--Congress does not give a hoot about what the citizens want.

Yes, it DOES care what special interests with money want, and it works to accomplish that. A Plutocracy is what we have, an oligarchy.

But they keep paying lip service to government "of the people, by the people and for the people", but anybody paying attention knows that is not true.

Thanks for the information.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

This is EXACTLY why it does not matter in the least who is elected, as they ALL work for the same ruling class. Politics are merely theater to keep the rabble under the delusion that there is a political process when none actually exists. I wish this were not so, but it is. All we can do is try to live a peaceful life.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Its true that corporations can and do have the freedom of speech to say whatever they like, and its also true they have property rights giving them the right to spend their money how they see fit. In response, instead of banning speech and forcing other people to spend their money in ways they don't want to, people could vote based on the qualities of the candidates rather than how many expensive ads they saw for the candidate.

Lawyers, bankers, and insurance salesman were all of the top donors to Barack Obama and John McCain for 2008 while the top donors for Ron Paul and a couple others consisted of almost none of those, though Paul's top donors were something like 1) US Army 2) US Navy 3) US Air Force. The American people all had access to this public and well-known information when they headed for the polls. They chose to vote for people funded by bankers and lawyers. So, they made a people's choice to sing praises to politicians who are in place because the bankers and lawyers want them to be in charge. The bankers presented a choice to the people: Barack Obama. The people elected Barack Obama. Barack Obama then gave billions to the bankers.

Its not the banker's fault the American public are proudly willingly ignorant and spend three minutes making decisions that require three hours of time to make in a professional way.

The people of America chose intentional ignorance as a way of life when they go to the voting booth, so it is truly a government by the people. If you want something done right, you HAVE TO do it your self. Its the one and only answer. If you are not working towards the solution to your problems without simply begging a politician to fix it for you, then you are part of the problem, and get what you have coming to you.

Changing the rules to remove rights to the freedom of speech and removing the right to spend one's own money how they see fit does NOTHING to change the problem of idiot Americans spending three minutes to emotionally and unreasonably make a choice that surely requires three hours or more for a well-informed decision. People seeing a problem, and then solving it without begging any politician for a solution, then letting that politician its time for them to simply go away because we are better off without them or their job position, is a real solution. And unlike the chaos we have now, its realistic.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
Well that's not surprising what so ever. We need a new genera of Government. Communism and Democracy clearly do not work.

Communism CAN work if done right, it's CRAPITALISM that's taking all your money and leaving you sad.

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but you guys live in a country that spent like 50 years making sure the children knew

communism was bad. If we weren't all douches we could make that system work. In fact, if every nation came together under communism, and there were no wars for some magical reason, you'd all probably agree with what I'm saying.

If lived under communism would all be equal, protected, and productive as well as we would hopefully toss money out the window, eliminating poverty the grand illusion that you are worth more than ME.

Who cares If you spent tons of money and time becoming a doctor? What if that knowledge was accessible to everyone by default, maybe I could get some decent healthcare by someone who's passionate about medicine and not in it for the paycheck.

How can country focus on evolving when they have to waste time debating amongst themselves? Imagine the time we could save if VERY nation was working on ONE space program. ONE cancer project. Imagine how powerful ONE military would be.

We can't even comprehend that kind of world or change.

link   

Well that's not surprising what so ever. We need a new genera of Government. Communism and Democracy clearly do not work.

Communism CAN work if done right, it's CRAPITALISM that's taking all your money and leaving you sad.

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but you guys live in a country that spent like 50 years making sure the children knew

communism was bad. If we weren't all douches we could make that system work. In fact, if every nation came together under communism, and there were no wars for some magical reason, you'd all probably agree with what I'm saying.

If lived under communism would all be equal, protected, and productive as well as we would hopefully toss money out the window, eliminating poverty the grand illusion that you are worth more than ME.

Who cares If you spent tons of money and time becoming a doctor? What if that knowledge was accessible to everyone by default, maybe I could get some decent healthcare by someone who's passionate about medicine and not in it for the paycheck.

How can country focus on evolving when they have to waste time debating amongst themselves? Imagine the time we could save if VERY nation was working on ONE space program. ONE cancer project. Imagine how powerful ONE military would be.

link   

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Did we really need a study to tell us this? I guess a few people did, but I don't think it's enough to get their heads out of the sand.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join