It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston University prof flunks 'white masculinity' in controversial tweets

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

"What people say is their Karma - how you react is yours"

The 1st amendment has blessed the professor and all US citizen to open their mouths and go full retard if they so please......

Any US citizens' opinion has equal weight to the professors.

Opinion being the operative word.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Any US citizens' opinion has equal weight to the professors.

Opinion being the operative word.

I don't know about that. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion but I wouldn't say all opinions have equal weight or merit.

Surely some opinions are better than others. Just the fact that some opinions are more informed that others would be evidence for that.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Cletis from the banks of Deliverence can say "I think this professor's opinion is wrong and wholeheartedly disagree - white masculinity is what enabled us to get to the moon and discover the god particle"

In my opinion, that has equal weight and is equally valid.

Cletis - 1
Professor - 0
(again, my humble opinion on the situation if I am presented the professors' opinion and Cletis's)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I probably should of made myself more clear, my fault. I wasn't talking about the opinions in the topic by the professor. I was just talking in general that some opinions have more merit than others.

I agree that this professor's opinion is pure sh*t and in your example I'd say cletis has more than demonstrated that his opinion has much more merit than this professor.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Agreed, education leads to well informed opinions - some of which become laws, rules and statutes.

Others become the laughing stock of the interwebz.

Vote Cletis in 2016

edit on 9-5-2015 by Sublimecraft because: I can

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Critics say a newly-hired Boston University professor has crossed the line with recent tweets bashing whites, but the school says it’s simply free speech.

“White masculinity isn’t a problem for america’s colleges, white masculinity is THE problem for america’s colleges,” Saida Grundy, an incoming assistant professor of sociology and African-American studies at Boston University, tweeted in March.

In another tweet from January, she wrote: “Every MLK week I commit myself to not spending a dime in white-owned businesses. and every year i find it nearly impossible.”

In another, she called white males a “problem population.”

The double standard about who can tweet what isn't what bothers me about this, although, if this were turned around in any sense then we would see firings and outrage of epic proportions. What truly bothers me about this is that when you create a toxic situation like this professor has done it is impossible to heal as a nation and it creates resentment. This means there is no room for real discussion or debate and no chance for love and mutual respect to come into play. I am disappointed and sad.

SOURCE

Just change the words in his statement from "white" to "black"

Still free speech? Or hate speech?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
It's odd that when things like this happen there is a lack of response from large segments of demographics on web boards or otherwise. The major defences I've heard over the years are something like:

1. The person is allowed to be angry because of what happened to their family over generations
2. The person is just talking about white culture how white people have talked about black culture for decades ... part of it may even be ironic
3. It's just one racist and it's understandable
4. The person is critiquing white culture not white skin and white culture is [insert expletive here]

Free speech or not I think it's racist in the same way that certain racist demographics flock to a cause or a discussion because they can dress it up as something else. If it is ironic, if there is more to it, maybe 'tweets' aren't the right way to have the discussion. Dunno.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I think an education can be extremely valuable if you also know how to apply it in the correct context. Otherwise it's just a bunch of information that you don't know what to do with.

It's like dynamite in a way. The more you have the more power you possess, however if you don't know how to handle it you're just going to damage stuff including yourself. Yet in the right hands a single stick can be devastatingly powerful.

There are many Educated people out there who don't know how to apply the information they've retained but still are expected to use it. When they are highly educated they really feel like they need to use it but still may not understand how or why or in what way. Like the old saying goes, "Those who can't do, teach."

That doesn't go for all teachers though, I'd like to make that clear.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noobarino
Why do I get the feeling that African-American studies is based on doing mental gymnastics in order to find a way to blame everything on white people

I'll let you judge for yourself. Here's a course listing.
africam.berkeley.edu...

It looks to me like a lot of writing classes about who did what to blacks, and when. I don't think anyone would deny they've been mistreated a lot throughout history. The major seems to focus on that, and it probably creates a bit of a persecution complex to go through.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Obsrvr

So she's a racist. Are you really surprised?

I had to go through 'diversity training' at my old job. In the class we were 'taught' that black people can't be racist...only white people.

Going by the academic definition of racism, this is correct. Racism goes beyond thoughts and extends into having the power to affect someones lives. Poor minorities have little to no power, which means their thoughts against white people are harmless, they can't do anything with them. White people running a corporation though? They have plenty of power to affect those black lives.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

While I don't condone or agree with the sentiment, and I do agree with your suggestions that this doesn't do society any real favors or move people on, you reek of white privilege in your dismissal of this as being "unfair".

Why is it always white people complaining how black people are complaining, or that it's "unfair" that they don't get to be racist these days?

Oh yeah, that's right, white privileged

You not only get to live your life as a white American male with absolutely no bigotry holding you back, you also get to tell other people to stop complaining when it happens to them, as if you have a clue!

You're kidding right? And your comment makes no room for what if the poster you're attacking is gay and has been bashed? A Jew and swastikas painted on his synagogue? A woman whose boss hinted at a promotion only if she continues letting him smack her butt then lick his lips and grunt? You're doing just what u said offends you so but while the one you're attacking has an article citing a warranted reason to feel so you just assume your butt off honestly. Otherwise you're saying only black oppression matters cuz non black skin means a person has never been pushed around or seen intolerance.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
What truly bothers me about this is that when you create a toxic situation like this professor has done it is impossible to heal as a nation and it creates resentment. This means there is no room for real discussion or debate and no chance for love and mutual respect to come into play. I am disappointed and sad.

These people have no interest in "healing as nation". They feast on the resentment, they compound the resentment and feed it to their students. And their students eat it up and feed it to the huge chip on their shoulders. That's why I call them "Chippers".

They don't want a "real discussion" or "debate"; they insist on dominating any "discourse" and only seek to lecture and verbally assault and abuse. In encounters with their "enemies", they insist on agreement with their world view, or else. There's no room for compromise or discussion.

You can't make peace with these people. Your only option is to avoid them at all costs.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
the school needs to keep its mouth shut. free speech my butt, this is flat out racism, i dont care what color the person saying it is, they are a racist coward and the school should be ashamed.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
We all know what she needs Right?.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Time out.

The professor is correct in her assertion, but she should have taken it a step further.

Who runs this country? Elderly, rich, white males. Is this country a mess? Absolutely. Proving culpability is not difficult in this instance.

What is interesting is how many racists have used this thread to justify their antiquated belief system to bandwagon on the idea that what they believe is correct.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Thejaybird

Who runs this country?

A black president, with a multitude of people of other races in top positions.....

Is this country a mess?

Two terms with Obama, and his policies, along with furthering and expanding Bushes policies, yes its a disaster....cant blame white men for Obamas actions.....

All the while ignoring the fact that we have a pretty diverse group of people running the country, from white people to people with Indian heritage, black heritage , cuban heritage, mexican heritage, all over this country.....hell the people that run Baltimore are predominantly black...

What is interesting is how many racists have used this thread to justify their antiquated belief system to bandwagon on the idea that what they believe is correct.

whats more interesting is that people like you , use slanderous and bigoted rhetoric like you did in the first part of your OP and then accuse OTHER people of being racist....
edit on 5/9/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
what this lady is saying is the basics of gender & race studies as far as i've seen. She probably doesn't see a problem with it, because she was taught it.

I've actually been in discussions with white males who buy into it. they lash out against masculinity and believe they are incapable of empathy because they are white males.
edit on 05am09am312015-05-09T09:00:06-05:0009America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thejaybird
Time out.

The professor is correct in her assertion, but she should have taken it a step further.

Who runs this country? Elderly, rich, white males. Is this country a mess? Absolutely. Proving culpability is not difficult in this instance.

So you believe you should avoid giving white business owners money in a majority white country because you think people's skin color alters how they run a country?

I'm not saying this is what you believe, but you're not attempting to distance yourself from anything I've just said.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I see the white people are in a hissy fit why do you guys want to be the victim so bad? We live in a hetero European patriarchal society you guys are fine you are not oppressed by any means just stop

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: christophoros
I see the white people are in a hissy fit why do you guys want to be the victim so bad? We live in a hetero European patriarchal society you guys are fine you are not oppressed by any means just stop

?

Logic fail, she made pointed racist remarks, why shouldnt we be offended.....

Why should people like you have the right to tell people what they can and cannot be offended about when its so blatant?

its not about being oppressed, its about someone making racist remarks, who happens to teach our children of the future, this sort of thing shouldnt be indoctrinated , and only serves to further racial divide.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join