It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would God make a forbidden fruit even though he knew that it would be eaten?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

So what you're saying is that within the example I could have chosen the banana, despite god knowing that I would take the apple?

What i am saying within the example you mentioned, is you could have trusted God when He said, do not choose the "apple" cause its "bad from the inside". Its because God knew beforehand, He warned you about it. You on the other hand made a conscious choice not to listen to God and have to live the consequences of your choice. The story mentioned in Genesis, is a clear example of it.

Peace
edit on 10-5-2015 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricFeel

Here's another angle that ties into my previous post.

At the 1:44 - 3:00 mark Watts gives an angle that can be applied to one's life concerning the Adam and Eve story.
edit on 10-5-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seed76

So what you're saying is that within the example I could have chosen the banana, despite god knowing that I would take the apple?

What i am saying within the example you mentioned, is you could have trusted God when He said, do not choose the "apple" cause its "bad from the inside". Its because God knew beforehand, He warned you about it. You on the other hand made a conscious choice not to listen to God and have to live the consequences of your choice. The story mentioned in Genesis, is a clear example of it.

Peace

I'm not sure about you, but I don't hear the audible voice of god in every mundane decision I make. Do I really need to put so much detail into the example that I have to say both of the fruits are healthy? Neither of them are evil in any way, they are just fruit. I have a bowl of fruit, all of which are fresh and clean. There is nothing substantially different from one fruit to another. It's a damn example, stop looking at the specifics and understand the concept I'm trying to explain.

Here's another one, since you can't seem to get over implying random things that have nothing to do with the example at hand.

I'm brushing my teeth, I don't consciously know how many times I move the brush back and forth, yet god does know because he is all knowing. Lets say (for no particular reason) that I am going to move my hand back and forth 20 times before changing what section of teeth I'm brushing. If god knows that I will make 20 brush strokes, there is no possible way that I could somehow make more or less strokes, because god has absolute knowledge. There's nothing evil about the brush strokes, there's nothing that's going to go wrong if I do more or less brush strokes, I'm just brushing my teeth. Yet, it is impossible for me to do more or less because of gods absolute knowledge of everything present, past, and future.

Is this still not making any sense?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seed76

Peace

i dont think our walking through the door by choice excuses the fact that god put it right in front of us and said, "now, dont you walk through this door...*snicker snicker*

most of us know better than to put something dangerous in front of kids and tell them not to touch it. in fact, anyone with even half a brain makes sure it is far away from the kids. especially if we have crystal clear foreknowledge of how exactly they would get in trouble with it. thats what parenting is. proactive guardianship. only an absolute moron leaves a gun where kids can find it. only an absolute moron lets a psychopath in their home while they are away.

i just find it funny that we demanded for obama to be impeached but yahweh still gets a free pass for multiple attempts at genocide.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricFeel

I think the "Forbidden Fruit" represents conceptual reason, it is called "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" Basically Adam and Eve were little more than animals, pets in the garden, if they wanted to be more they had to eat the fruit. Suffering is not a punishment perse, the fact is in evolution challenge and change drive growth and adaption, in humans we say "necessity is the mother of invention" which points out that if not for suffering we would not need to overcome anything, we would just basically sit around. But because of suffering we are motivated to understand the world and find ways to stop being hurt.

If you look at what happened as a result of eating the fruit, Adam and Eve "hid their nakedness" and they were afraid of God, modesty is a concept animals do not have, humans do. It also says "Humanity inherited Sin and Death from Adam" death/mortality is a concept due to an understanding of time, beginning/middle/end, past/present/future, birth/life/death, animals instinctively have self preservation as a function they evolved but they do not understand anything about death. Sin is related to morality/ethics/virtues, animals again have evolved social skills but they do not understand the concept around the benefits of good behaviour and dangers of bad behaviour.

So the Forbidden Fruit to me is a necessary step in our evolution, it doesn't have anything to do with God unless you want it to.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Why would God make a forbidden fruit even though he knew that it would be eaten?

The God who made the multiverse wouldn't do that. But a primitive storyteller trying to explain evils in humanity could easily come up with a fable like that.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I can agree to this

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

The God who made the multiverse wouldn't do that. But a primitive storyteller trying to explain evils in humanity could easily come up with a fable like that.

sounding awfully confident there for someone talking about gods and multiverses...
edit on 12-5-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
Hell the story of Job is even worse. Devil comes in and makes a bet with God who already should know the answer. Job gets tortured just so God can say "see! look...look! He still loves me!". God already knew the answer so why take the bet with the devil. To me the devil tricked god in the book of Job....if you believe God is all powerful...like the bible says. The bible is filled with crap like that throughout the entire book.

Father knows the answer, yes. He does this to show others not to question if that makes sense. Things are learned above by many asking can it be a certain way. He grants to show, why it should not be that way by observation. This is the case for above (the ones whom are not present here.)

But, that particular book is pieced together like a puzzle.
edit on 12-5-2015 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Allow me to pose another question!

Why doesn't Satan just defeat God's plan by simply not fulfilling prophecy with an anti-Christ, and just continue to be the chaotic evolution promoting scum bag that he is? He would never have to worry about God's wrath or anything.

Maybe he just hasn't read the Bible so he doesn't know how it ends.

Edit:

Hmmm this was my 1,666th post.

It will never happen like that because if the plan is not followed. We have to relive it over and over again until it is followed. You would never know of a rewind. Many see deja vu and think nothing of it. But, above rewond the clock and reset the day so it can play out again.

If it takes to long, he inputs the thought into your head, and you think you thought of it on your own. This goes for all. (Above, here, and below.)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: jhill76

If it takes to long, he inputs the thought into your head, and you think you thought of it on your own. This goes for all.

not only is that really creepy, it also messes with the free will thing.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
sounding awfully confident there for someone talking about gods and multiverses...

I am.

Would a God Who made the multiverse ... or even a universe ... bother to make mundane rules like 'eat this apple and go to hell' or 'don't eat bacon or else you are doomed'' etc etc ?? Really? Considering how vast the cosmos is and how many layers of dimensions and multiverses there almost certainly are ... does the creator of all that vastness really give a rats backend if someone eats an apple or a slice of bacon? Doubt it. Sounds like a totally made up human rule.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I am.

Would a God Who made the multiverse ... or even a universe ... bother to make mundane rules like 'eat this apple and go to hell' or 'don't eat bacon or else you are doomed'' etc etc ?? Really? Considering how vast the cosmos is and how many layers of dimensions and multiverses there almost certainly are ... does the creator of all that vastness really give a rats backend if someone eats an apple or a slice of bacon? Doubt it. Sounds like a totally made up human rule.

one could say that about a lot of beliefs.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

one could say that about a lot of beliefs.

YEP.

I remember a line from Big Bang Theory - Amy Farrah Fowler said "I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance". A lot of the laws and notions found in 'holy books' are obviously human in origin.

Something so big as to create everything wouldn't care if you sat your butt in a church on Saturday instead of Sunday ... or sprinkled water in baptism as opposed to poured it. etc etc. Yes, I'm rather confident of that.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Man has the perception of free will, not true free will.

Basically you have the choice if you choose Father or not. All the rest the path must be followed.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'm really glad to see that you are back and posting.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhill76

Man has the perception of free will, not true free will.

Basically you have the choice if you choose Father or not. All the rest the path must be followed.

i dont agree with that sort of approach. it is funny you should mention paths...there is an old hindu proverb that says there are many ways up the mountain, but the only foolish path is the one that runs around the bottom trying to cut the other ones off.

and yes, we have free will. every decision you make, no matter how small, is proof of that. i dont care to pursue that argument any further because its pointless and defeats itself. using free will to argue the existence of free will...bleh.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

i dont agree with that sort of approach. it is funny you should mention paths...there is an old hindu proverb that says there are many ways up the mountain, but the only foolish path is the one that runs around the bottom trying to cut the other ones off.

Yes, there are many paths one can take to get to the final stage per se. I never said anything to the contrary.

and yes, we have free will. every decision you make, no matter how small, is proof of that. i dont care to pursue that argument any further because its pointless and defeats itself. using free will to argue the existence of free will...bleh.

That is why I am in awe of the setup. Man thinks he makes all of his own decisions.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Yes, there are many paths one can take to get to the final stage per se. I never said anything to the contrary.

your "father" is one mountaintop among many worthy heights. your heaven is not singular in its grandeur.

That is why I am in awe of the setup. Man thinks he makes all of his own decisions.

then the day your sky fairy shows himself is the day we rise against the machine. count on it.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

your "father" is one mountaintop among many worthy heights. your heaven is not singular in its grandeur.

then the day your sky fairy shows himself is the day we rise against the machine. count on it.

I thought we were refraining from giving into the back and forth?

By the way, all religions look to the same source...
edit on 14-5-2015 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join