It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney Scrapped George Lucas’ Plans for ‘Star Wars Episode VII’ (And I'm glad they did!)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

That's why 'Lucas' doesn't like working in Hollywood!!

I saw a video on youtube where he was calling 'Hollywood' aall kinds of names!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Empire Strikes Back is definitely the best of the 6 films Lucas had his hands involved in. This is in no small part due to Lawrence Kasdan directing it. Lucas did actually do some of the writing on Empire and Jedi. He wrote the outline for both and Kasdan went in afterward and gussied up the dialogue and added some depth I character relationships. The entire plot and all major events were all part of Lucas' original outlines. Even so, Return of the Jedi is my least favorite of the original trilogy by a long stretch. I loathed the Ewoks and I really freaked some people out in '97 when the
Rereleased the films and I stood up and cheered for the Ewoks getting killed during their battle with the Storm Troopers. The only character I hated more was Jar Jar. Hands down one of the most annoying character in the history of cinema.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I knew a guy that did some work on some lucas arts projects.

He sat in a few design meetings with lucas himself.

Apparently lucas has a bunch of handlers that shield him from everyone. You can't talk to the guy unless he talks to you first.

So I think that he's somewhat shielded from any criticism. Which isn't great for the creative process. And we can see the results in ep 1.

However when it came down to designing objects in the star wars world he had that down pat.

I think Lucas is one hell of an idea guy. He just needs someone to distill this ideas into something that makes sense.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Oh, no, it cannot be denied that Lucas had brilliant vision. He just needed help realizing that vision. Where he fell off was when he started thinking vision means you have the talent to realize too in all aspects.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We should respect George Lucas for getting the ball rolling. But his vision was wanting to make a Flash Gordon movie. When he could not get the rights. He changed that into Star Wars. By combining the idea of a pulp science fiction serial with the basic outline of Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

That is a brilliant combination idea. But I think of Lucas as more of a producer than creator. All the cool design work was done by Ralph McQuarrie. Lucas's horrible first draft, Flash Gordon/Hidden Fortress mish mash A New Hope script, was spruced up by his American Graffiti co-writers. Empire and Return were mostly all Lawrence Kasdan.

The prequels were all George Lucas. A George Lucas with a massive ego. Who completely insulated himself from outside opinions. George Lucas's biggest credit and biggest downfall. Is the fact that he was smart enough to keep the toy rights for Star Wars. The toys made so much money. That they become his sole focus for the sequels. Creating characters that could be toys for kids.

That is why George Lucas is gone. Disney was smart enough to realize that Star Wars is so entrenched in popular culture that the toys will sell themselves no matter what. That they could make billions by releasing new Star Wars movies every year in perpetuity. That Star Wars is strongest with talented directors and writers. That is why they went back to the Ralph McQuarrie designs and why Lawrence Kasdan is one of the main writers across the whole series again. Both the new trilogy and the anthology films.

It would be cool if Disney does with George Lucas what they do with Stan Lee and the Marvel movies. A different cameo in every movie.

edit on 9-5-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

It would be cool if Disney does with George Lucas what they do with Stan Lee and the Marvel movies. A different cameo in every movie

As a Hutt maybe?

sorry i just can't forgive him for almost completely ruining starwars.
edit on 9-5-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

This is beyond perfect for a response to this topic. All the history and information very well laid out. Well done! I agree with everything you've stated. And Yes, it would be very cool if they had that hidden cameo concept in the star wars universe. The only thing is, I can see it being to much of a "Marvel Trademark" thing, despite it's simplicity, and kind of draw away from the magic that is the Star Wars Universe.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

jesus have you seen the prequels? he was a three trick pony. just because you create something doesnt mean you are capable of upkeeping it .

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I mean, on one hand, I'm excited about new chapters to Star Wars.

On the other, I really wished they would have drawn from the novels (that were sanctioned by Lucas), that extended the story past Jedi.

Luke's kid. Han and Leia's kids, etc.

And of course, a great (movie-ready) villain in Grand Admiral Thrawn.

I really think it's a waste to not use these characters, and instead go with these complete unknown characters instead.

My only guess is that Disney didn't want any conflicts with these authors, so it was easier to jut go original (even though they bought the rights along with the property).

I think (from the previews), that Abrams will do it justice though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join