It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subtropical Storm Ana Forms Off US East Coast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

As for storms I'll use the example of Noname storm in the 90s. It was a huge powerful event on the gulf coast of Florida that destroyed I believe 18,000 homes. It also formed with another low-pressure system off the east coast to form the perfect storm. As portrayed in the movie where George sank his boat.

That storm you mentioned was a winter storm and brought snowfall to Florida. Only storms tropical and sub tropical storms get names.

The NHC used to not name sub-tropical storms. Back in 1992 there was a storm similar to Ana early in the season, it was categorized as a no name sub-tropical storm. Had the NHC used the same standards they do now in naming storms, then Andrew would have been the B named storm of that season.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Went through no name storm in Tampa. There's a biker bar called the boathouse. They have a johnboat 30 feet up a live oak from the high watermark.

If I remember right in 78 or 79 there was the blizzard of Tampa they got a quarter-inch of snow. Lol

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Wow, I got my storms wrong. The one I thought you were referring to was the Super Storm of January of 1993, that was a winter storm.

George's movie, the perfect storm as some called it, was around Halloween of 1991. Hurricane Grace became a large hybrid system and the only damage Florida saw was from the high surf and resulting storm surge.

Subtropical Ana in April of 2003 was a much stronger system, this years Ana did become classified as a fully tropical system at one point.
edit on 10-5-2015 by jrod because: b

edit on 10-5-2015 by jrod because: oVo

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

No you have the right storm. The no-name storm of 93 it formed in the gulf and became the storm of the century. George Clooney's movie came out in 2000.

I was referring to a arctic blast that came through in the 70s.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse
The movie the Perfect Storm was about the Halloween storm of 1991, Hurricane Grace became part of an enormous low....totally different event. So it was the Storm of January 2003 that had a 30' surge in Tampa? That would be catastrophic over there. I am kind of confused by your post.

I do not know much about the snow storm in the late 70's, before my time. There was a good snow event in Jacksonville in the late 1980's.

edit on 10-5-2015 by jrod because: :confused:

edit on 10-5-2015 by jrod because: :shrugs:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join