It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See ya Scotland, now please go before influencing our EU referendum for the UK

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Not really, I was wondering if the overwhelming majority of Scots actually voted for the SNP or not, because the number of seats they got would not necessarily mirror the number of people who would vote to stay in Europe in as referendum.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Scotland voted No to independence last year or did you all forget??????

The English media, tories and labour would have you believe Scotland vote SNP to become independent but that is simply NOT true.

A LOT of Scots voted SNP as it is the ONLY alternative to the tories, their Libdem lapdogs or Labour the sell out party.

I would propose that if the SNP was called something less nationalistic and stood countrywide as a british wide party standing for what labour used to stand for it would have won an overall majority.

Then we would probably see them fail as miserably as the big three have to provide for the ordinary person.

The only way you can have a government that serves the people and serves them not themselves and big business is to go back to the origins of democracy.

Everybody who is eligible to vote is eligible would be available to work in government - mp's are randomly drawn from the populace and HAVE to serve 4/5 years (whatever is decided) and I would also suggest they are paid the national minimum wage.

So there would be NO political parties - no campaigning and the billions it wastes, all political debate would be on the actual issues involved.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Thanks for that, wow tories didn't do as bad as was made out seat wise.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DiggerDogg
The OP is not only bitter, but also extremely butthurt. You can sense the pain in his butt-hole emanating from every post.

He claims to be engaging in "reasoned political debate", when in reality most of his posts reek of senility. Repeats of the same infantile idea over and over again- "I dunt want teh Scotz voting on muh Inglish issues, pleaze leave Scotz I dunt want u".

As if we all haven't heard it a thousand times before.

That made me laugh

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
What was the actual number of people who voted for the SNP?

1.4 Million, around 35% of the registered electorate in Scotland. Had we a PR system in place, they would have only taken 25 seats, not the 56 they have now.

Interestingly, they were all in favour of reform of the voting system to PR before the election. I wonder if they are still as keen now........

I wonder if not voting for proportional representation when we had the chance has screwed us up?

We didn't have a vote for a PR system, it was for AV which is a variant on FPTP with elimination rounds.
edit on 10/5/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

What was the actual number of people who voted for the SNP?

1.4 Million, around 35% of the registered electorate in Scotland. Had we a PR system in place, they would have only taken 25 seats, not the 56 they have now.

Interestingly, they were all in favour of reform of the voting system to PR before the election. I wonder if they are still as keen now........

I wonder if not voting for proportional representation when we had the chance has screwed us up?

We didn't have a vote for a PR system, it was for AV which is a variant on FPTP with elimination rounds.

How about we hear the percentages from a Tory point of view then,,,what was it??..37% of the vote for 100% of the power.?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Hang on a minute, didnt Scotland vote on independence just seven months ago and didnt the NO vote win 55% to 45%?

How massively disrespectful to the 55% of Scots who want to stay, the Pro-Independence people dont like the result so will just keep pushing and having referendums until they get the result they want? Sure the question should be asked from time to time (how long I dont know, but certainly not seven months after a conclusive No!)

However close the vote was (and it wasnt in reality) Just accept that the majority of Scots (55%) want to stay!

As for the General Election, 35% voted for the SNP, 65% didnt! The SNP have the overwhelming number of seats yes, but Scotland didnt overwhemingly vote for the SNP, its our FPTP system that is wrong!

What other choice than SNP did the Scots have? Lib Dems? they showed they sold out with their failed coalition for the last 5 years, which left the choice of Tories or Labour? The SNP were bound to be succesful, im actually surprised they didnt get all 59 seats!

In the end though it matters little, The Tories have a majority, so everything the Tories want to do, with the help of their Party Whips, they will do, the SNP can vote against whatever they want, but 56 votes in parliament wont go far...

And before anyone chirps in, I voted Independent in the General Election and I have Scottish and Welsh Grand Parents and I would like the UK to stay together!

I agree with the point made in this thread though that English MP's should vote on English only matters, as GrainofSand says, there is no justifiable reason for this not to happen.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ukmicky1980

Good points.

It isn't surprising that SNP, despite their 35%, seen it as affirmation from all of Scotland, their arrogant denial of reality appears their modus operandi.

As for the English votes for English matters, it looks likely to happen soon, and will be welcomed.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

He is expected to oversee further devolution of tax-raising powers to Scotland and reforms to give English MPs the final say over matters affecting England, so-called "English votes for English laws".

Mr Cameron has made these reforms central to his re-election programme, while Mr Grayling has previously been a passionate champion of strengthening the powers of English MPs.

Among Mr Gove’s first tasks will be to oversee the Bill to scrap Labour’s Human Rights Act and replace it with a British Bill of Rights, a reform which Mr Cameron has promised to announce in his first Queen’s Speech, expected on May 27.

The reform, promised in the Tory manifesto, is designed to ensure that the European Court of Human Rights will no longer be able to overrule judgments in British courts and will make “the Supreme Court supreme”.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DiggerDogg
The OP is not only bitter, but also extremely butthurt. You can sense the pain in his butt-hole emanating from every post.

He claims to be engaging in "reasoned political debate", when in reality most of his posts reek of senility. Repeats of the same infantile idea over and over again- "I dunt want teh Scotz voting on muh Inglish issues, pleaze leave Scotz I dunt want u".

As if we all haven't heard it a thousand times before.
Oh dear oh dear, is that the sum total of your political argument to my reasoned comments about why I hope those who wish to leave the Union do so sooner than later? Really?

All of your comments, although quite amusing, are your imagination alone, including my emotional state. I am happy for the Scots to go, I just wish them to do so before we get that referendum on EU membership.
And in response to your rather childlike "I dunt want teh Scotz voting on muh Inglish issues, pleaze leave Scotz I dunt want u" May I ask what is wrong with wishing an end to Scottish MP's voting on English only issues? Take health and education for an example. Both devolved powers in Scotland yet English MP's have no vote over such Scottish concerns and Scottish MP's can vote on health and education in England.
I don't see what your problem is with wanting an equitable situation?

And as for I don't want Scotland, nope, haven't said that anywhere, I just want those who do wish to leave the Union to just get it over with, that is clear, no matter how much you try to add invented value to my statements.

Here, how about quoting me in future and debating my particular statements instead of resorting to playground style political debate. If you can't do that I'll just dismiss you as a silly troll.

Good day sir, and kind regards.

edit on 10.5.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
It isn't surprising that SNP, despite their 35%, seen it as affirmation from all of Scotland, their arrogant denial of reality appears their modus operandi.

You know what really annoys me, the constant appearance of Sturgeon on the TV, despite the fact she wasn't even elected for Parliament and the fact she claimed that the SNP is now the "main opposition", despite only having 56 seats to Labour's 232, plus the demands she is now making towards the Government with regards to "even more devolution" than was originally promised last year!

Who the hell does she think she is?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

In the context of my statement, in a PR system, the Tories and UKIP with the DUP would have been able to form a Government with 50.1% of the total UK vote, compared the SNP's measly 4.7%.

If you're going to complain about distortion (as you were with the 37% of the vote for 100% of the power) then you have to be fair. The SNP benefited even more from the FPTP system that the Tories did.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Oh come on, let her have her time in the limelight, it was a fantastic result for her in Scotland, and with the Unionist Tory majority government her 56 MP's are pretty much toothless in any vote.
She will whine as always but it looks like the Barnett formula will be dragged into the 21st Century and we'll get English only MP's voting on English only issues, only thanks to that majority Conservative government.
...free and fair referendum on the EU and we're good to go

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

there wont be a UK if we left, i guess you are reading too much of that daily mail. We are not going for Independence at the moment, but i would'nt rule that out in the future. If the referendum comes and the UK as a whole decides to leave the EU, it will damage Scotland more than England, We rely on free movement and exports. please if you are going to spout #e, please do some research first.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: weemadmental

Which # exactly did I spout which you would like to discuss?

Unreferenced and unsubstantiated assertions will be ignored by me every time.
You wanna spew hyperbole then start your own thread, or back it up with sources, not just your opinion.
I don't care about your opinion if you can't back it up.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Similarly, earlier on TV today was Mhairi Black, SNP Paisley as the youngest MP, aged 20, at Westminster for a few hundred years, saying she was now going to ''shake up Parliament''. More like shaking in your boots when you realise just how non influential an SNP MP from a devolved Scotland is in the bigger picture.

Some things seem to have eluded them such as reality, the bigger picture and truth.

Their entire campaign and manifesto is built upon fantasy. The sooner Scotland is fully devolved and paying for everything from their own pockets the better for the rest of the UK. The they can only blame themselves for their own lack of judgement and miseries. The more they spout nationalist garbage the more the International business community and potential investors will see them as a land to avoid. The same left wing ethos lost Labour their high profile supporters as seen today and the majority of their middle left.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

No Red capitalist international businesses and no commie ponzi scheme beggar investors coming to Scotland to steal? Oh no whatever would Scotland do?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Scotland is probably one of the most *Nationalist* in your face

nation there is?

Therefor it was playing into their nationalistic core to name the

party** Scottish National Party**... they could have named

the party Scottish Labour Party, the Peoples Party, UKISP, etc....

Probably named in a deliberate attempt to *play into this

nationalist instinct* of the Scots who still hanker after the

13th century, William Wallace - Brave Heart scenario.

edit on 12-5-2015 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Never mind the scots who have either been hoodwinked over their last referendum to leave the UK or are simply fickle in their voting.

However, has any thought about a referendum for the English to see if we want to remain in the the UK or want a separate England or, in fact, to be asked about anything - its as though we are the silent and blo-dy invisible majority who have had their tongues cut out. Its about time Westminster learned that the English actually exist and want a say in their future, so how about three referendums: One about leaving the EU, One about leaving the UK and about about getting rid of an ever increasing and costly royalty. I know how I would vote in all three. Perhaps Scotland could stay in the EU and take royalty with them after all queenie loves her scottish castles.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

100% true!

They were hoodwinked, played and made fools of.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join