It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See ya Scotland, now please go before influencing our EU referendum for the UK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
a reply to: grainofsand

Okay....yah, maybe hate is too strong.

So let us use the word: "Animosity" instead.

Sorry, but that IS what I'm seeing here.

Its kinda what we do, english, welch, irish and scots. Whine, bicker and scrap

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: eriktheawful

What hate? Please do quote some.
The closest thing I've found so far was just above implying some slur about the English beating their women up after drinking beer. I assume the person who posted that is Scottish.

What? I thought it was the Scottish who were cheapskate drunken wife beaters, the Welsh were inbred sheep-shaggers, and the English were cross dressing closet homos with mother issues? Have ethnic stereotypes changed since I left?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Whinging Scots, Ah that old English chestnut we do have those in Scotland who like to whip up resentment and use the English as the bogey man but most people see past this pity that you do not judging by your post, we had a very bitter referendum and the no camp won the day and thankfully so as all the countries of the UK have so much invested in each other from trade to blood ties and shared history of defending the nation etc to allow anyone to tear us apart, as for Europe do you honestly think we will get a free and fair referendum on that issue?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
i dont even know what any of this stuff yous are talking about means .. waay over ma head ...
i doubt any of you are going to sway any one elses opinions here .. or educate anyone ...
seems the only purpose of this thread is to have a rant .. and convey anger or even hatred ....

and if i could just add ... wheeeeEEEEEeeeee..........

Also ... Hi mum

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: cainem
so you will have to sup it up as we are going no where anytime soon my friend,

So you wanna stay now?!
Hahaha, just couldn't make it up if you tried!
What do you personally want then? Want out? Or just SNP staying in Parliament to troll, as I imagine that is what you are doing here instead of entering into reasoned debate.

Just saw your post, no i don't like trolling but not an SNP supporter anyway, i voted to remain part of the UK as did many others but the real question is how do we strengthen it and make it better and not just for Scotland but the rest of the UK also

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: cainem

So you present yourself as a Scot who supports being in the UK. Good luck with that fella, Sturgeon has plans for y'all.
Only 3 Union supporting MP's left in Scotland out of your 59. It appears to me that your fate has been sealed.
I wish you the best though.

Oh, and no I don't trust the process of any vote I've had in this country, that would be naive, but I continue to support calls for that continued vote. Perhaps you do not, no matter.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Segenam

Ignore the thread then if you have no contribution to make about Scottish votes influencing a UK referendum if the Scots don't even want to be in the union.
I want the Scots to decide if they want to stay with us before the rest of us decide on being part of the EU
Why does that trouble you?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Could not agree with you more mate.
The referendum was not on the agenda,maybe in 10 years time though,
but christ i hope its before that.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Segenam

Ignore the thread then if you have no contribution to make about Scottish votes influencing a UK referendum if the Scots don't even want to be in the union.
I want the Scots to decide if they want to stay with us before the rest of us decide on being part of the EU
Why does that trouble you?

It is a fair request you make as we should only vote on what affects us and especially any vote on solely English matters, it will be interesting if the newly elected mp's heading your way will mischief make by voting on English specific matters

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Why does it seem that many in the UK have such an .....damn, the only word that seems to fit is "hate" for Scotts and Scotland?

I think the reverese the is true. Incidents of racism against the English from Scots in Scotand are on the rise.
edit on 8/5/2015 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The thing that has stood out in the results of these elections, in my opinion, is the need for proportional representation.

It surely can not be that a party like the SNP gets 56 seats or whatever with 4% of the national vote, whilst a party like UKIP with 12 % gets one seat.

The OP knows my stance on UKIP, we spoke briefly about it on another thread, however the fact that we have a first past the post system and not a proportional representation system is long due a review. Especially with such issues as EU membership and all that that would entail if we left under discussion.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Why does it seem that many in the UK have such an .....damn, the only word that seems to fit is "hate" for Scotts and Scotland?

I think the reverese the is true. Incidents of racism against the English from Scots in Scotand are on the rise.

The knuckle draggers both sides of the border are just as guilty and i did experience a lot of negativity when i was last in England 17 years ago but you wont find me excusing nor condoning it likewise friends of mine who are SNP activists who have challenged some of the comments made by those who harbour anti English sentiments, like me they passionately defend and push their political stance but wont stand for intimidation

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stu2112

Could not agree with you more mate.
The referendum was not on the agenda,maybe in 10 years time though,
but christ i hope its before that.

It will come around again but hopefully not for a couple of years yet I'm all done for now with elections and referendums plus being a trade unionist i will be targeted with who i should vote for now Miliband has run away

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

Interesting comparison, cheers.
A massive trench was dug in the political map of the UK yesterday though, never seen quite like it before.
Maps and info here: www.bbc.co.uk...

Well some of England's regions share more in common with the Celtic people than the South.

There is a clearer one here:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Maybe us northerners and the Welsh should become part of "Greater Caledonia". We could also appoint leaders with fishy surnames like Magnus Pyke or Anchovy Hopkins?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If UK leaves EU... that would be bad day for EU specially to northern countries. Power will not be as equally distributed among the EU, UK leaving EU balance will be over and Southern countries, those who have huge corruption and huge debt has more power over others in coming decisions... that would cripple EU for good.
I don´t like EU and if that happens that UK leaves i hope our own leaders would not stay in and let the southern money suckers take our country down for good ( sadly i have no trust in our own government for making right decisions in right time )

... this could be huge for whole Europe and bring a lot distress.. and Putin is already arming baltic sea, what else do we need ?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Nicola Sturgeon has said all throughout this campaign that a vote for SNP was not a vote for Scottish Independence, that's why a lot of Labour voters used the SNP as protest vote against Labour.
We need a strong Labour Party but a lot of people dislike Jim Murphy and Ed Miliband, so I think this was a vote of no confidence in their leadership of the party.

But there's no need to get all arsey and saying get out and close the door on the way out, it only fuels what is already a tense relationship between the 2 countries.

When we had the discussion on here during the referendum debate, there were a lot of English on here that wanted us to stay in the union. So you can't ignore the fact that we voted to stay in the union and we used our democratic right to vote in whoever we decide to vote for, so basically suck it up we are here to stay and I am proud that we have a great democracy where we can send a message to the establishment that no seat is safe.
There was a seat in Wales I think it was which had been held by Labour for over 100 years and they lost it to the Conservatives, that's a message to the Labour party that you've lost your way. Combine that with the strong Scottish vote and that should send ripples through the Labour party.
edit on 8-5-2015 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If we for a moment assume Cameron will have a referendum on Europe, I say that because he promised one last time and we didn't get it. But lets say he has one.

So here's the thing ... Nicola Sturgeon has said a second referendum on Scottish Independence could be called if say UK decides to leave EU. She will claim Scots do not want to leave.

So from the point of view of those of us wanting Indy Scotland it would be great if any EU ref goes for exit.

So I would encourage the whole of Scotland to vote No to EU, thereby bringing about conditions for a second Indy Ref.

For me personally not bothered whether in or out of EU, there's pros and cons both ways.

What is vital is we become Independent. So anything to bring that about.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
So basically Scotland is not part of the UK anymore and the UK doesn't want to be part of the EU anymore? Is that whats going on? But Scotland wants to be part of the EU?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Some people in Scotland want to be free of the UK. They did, however, lose that referendum with a purely Scottish National referendum. To which the rest of the UK was not invited.

Some in the UK want to leave the EU and some others do not. However, as the representation of 4 million people from Scotland has a huge sway in Parliament, if one looks at the total population, it seems a rather extraordinarily disproportional representation. In my view that is.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Exactly, like the Barnett formula it isn't fair and should be revised.

As for referendums, they already have devolution and vowed not to push for a referendum for years. The previous referendum vote had a negative impact on the UK economy and another referendums results would be similar.

Playing victim mentality is easy, as is blaming lack of industry on England, as for suggestions of not having a voice in Westminster, the irony of that statement is blatant, how many Scottish prime ministers has there been recently and when the proportional representation is not a true picture, it makes it even more relevant.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join