It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See ya Scotland, now please go before influencing our EU referendum for the UK

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Lol, around 3 million more people live in London than Scotland, and the mayoral role is about a grand less than Sturgeons, what's your point?
I'm just surprised that the First Minister of Scotland earns more than the Prime Minister of the UK.
Does that not surprise you?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Actually, 14 million people live within the M25 around London and only 5 million live in Scotland. London has nearly three times more people than live in the whole country Scotland!!

Puts things into perspective when folk always say the South East gets the Lions Share but that's probably due to more people living in the South East than the remainder of the country!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
More devolved powers in Scotland than london. Size isn't everything you know....
Also almost half of council chief execs in England and wales earn over 200k. Is that surprising?
In relative terms the PM is massively underpaid so trying to compare other roles to his salary is pointless.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Even more reason to centralise government due to these excessive salaries!!

The more devolved government equals more cost paid for not by the government but with yours and mine tax!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Also almost half of council chief execs in England and wales earn over 200k. Is that surprising?
You never quote the situation in Scotland do you:
Six Scottish council chiefs in UK ‘rich list’

The annual Town Hall Rich List produced by the organisation gives details of senior local government staff whose salary exceeds £100,000.

The list shows that the largest remuneration package in Scotland for 2011-12 was received by South Lanarkshire Council executive director Linda Hardie who came second on the UK-wide list.

She was paid £543,538, including employee pension contributions of £427,209.
Clearly no better North of the border is it.

*Edit*
Town Hall Rich List

The UK council with the most employees in receipt of remuneration over £100,000 in 2012-13 was Glasgow with 32.

The council employee with the largest remuneration package in the UK in 2012-13 was David Crawford, the Executive Director of Social Care Services at Glasgow Council who received £486,303.
That total included a considerable redundancy package.

The largest remuneration package excluding larger than usual, one-off payments due to redundancy or retirement was received by I. Craig, Managing Director of Lothian Buses, a subsidiary 91 per cent owned by the City of Edinburgh Council who received £300,081.

edit on 19.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Andy Burnham is now pushing for a 2016 referendum, although not yet leader it looks like he is pushing for Cameron to put his money where his mouth is.

It looks like a clever move to me as it puts him in a win/win situation politically.

Link

Kind of surprising from Andy Burnham, possibly a little desparate to come out with that as an opening gambit for his leadership campaign given that it's such a turnaround from the previous lot, might have wanted to allow the dust to settle just a little bit. What is odd is that he is saying Cameron should first put to the public what concessions the EU will give as enticement not to leave....... when that is exactly what Cameron has already said. But wait, Andy Burnham goes further - with Labour originally saying that even if Cameron pursued this there would be no way it could occur by 2017, Burnham is now saying it should happen earlier!!!! Strange.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I quoted English figures as those were the ones from the article I had read. Feeling a bit paranoid today by any chance?
Also rather selective quoting re south Lanarkshire, you really think the normal annual remuneration package is 80% pension. Might want read the full article.
Anyway all that proves is that the FM is not overpaid relative to similar positions.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Now now, don't do that silly amateur psychology thing in a reasoned debate, too much of that deflection going on here these days.
This all started because I stated that I was surprised that the Scottish First Minister earns more than the UK Prime Minister. I remain surprised. I don't really see what issue you could have with that.
The PM covers a population of 64 million compared to mere 5 million in Scotland for the FM.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

Even more reason to centralise government due to these excessive salaries!!

The more devolved government equals more cost paid for not by the government but with yours and mine tax!

I assume then you are pro centralisation of powers with the EU? Just to be consistent and all that.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Surprised how little the PM is paid compared to other high ranking government officials? Yes I am. Still maybe it is performance related pay.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I am quite curious now I've thought a bit more.
I wonder what the salary costs of the UK Parliament are compared to Holyrood, the Welsh Assembly and N.I. Executive?
Would be interesting to see which one spent more of taxpayers money on it's own administration than the others.

*Edit*
Brief search:
UK MP - £64,766
Scottish MP - £57,521
Welsh AM - £53,852
Irish MLA - £43,101

That's for the average elected representitive, it is clear that a good Irish MLA, who probably works just as hard as for their constituency as a UK MP gets a lot less for effectively a similar job. The only thing I would add though is that the UK MP wage is the same for Scottish/Welsh/N.Ireland UK MP's, as the English MP's are.
We would have to have some devolved English system or whatever to make a real comparison.

Interesting reading though...
Parliamentary Pay and Expenses

edit on 19.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
ScepticScot and grainosand - you both amuse the hell out of me lol!

You should either have your own show (which I'd watch) or get a room.....

I'd love to have a drink with you both one day and would just sit back with a bag of popcorn

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
ScepticScot and grainosand - you both amuse the hell out of me lol!

You should either have your own show (which I'd watch) or get a room.....

I'd love to have a drink with you both one day and would just sit back with a bag of popcorn

I was actually thinking that with our own forum in the pipline we could maybe have our own radio show/pod cast.

My First thoughts as to the host were grainofsand and a certain other member who I will not name.

That would be a hoot.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That's a good question, you talking just elected representatives or departmental costs as well?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco
We love each other really. ATS would be really dull if we all agreed.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
That's a good question, you talking just elected representatives or departmental costs as well?

All of it I guess, whatever I find, all interesting. Oh and I edited a list into my post above after a quick search.

...and there is no UK member I think I don't actually like, not one. Yep I may be polar opposite in opinion about some issues but outside of those specific issues I find agreement so none of that matters then.
Same as being down the pub I see it, some blokes I think are pricks in one way and I think they're great in others.
Everything I say on ATS I'd say face to face in the pub, every time, even if I knew that would provoke a fight and I could risk a kicking or hurting someone else in defence. So if anyone on ATS thinks I'm a prick then I am actually pretty much the same kind of prick in real life.

We have a unique style of debate us UK members, I like it a lot, and even when we hover close to the troll status with each other sometimes it does tend to self regulate.
I look forward to the new UK forum. It will be a different place on ATS.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I cannot stand the EU one iota! The most undemocratic institution we are a member off.

On the point about centralised goverment - I'll use Scotland as an example - you have an MSP, MEP, and an MP representing your local constituency. Why the hell do you need three politicians? Have you ever met or needed any help from them personally?

This is just one massive cost that during these times is not needed or wanted! I could find figures if you like to show how much our Bureaucracy cost us as tax payers! Over 600 MPs salaries MEPs and then the devolved governments salaries. That's not including their staffing costs (PAs, PR etc).

We need less goverment involvement in our life's, not more. I'd even go as far as to get rid of local councils, why can this not be centralised? Imagine the savings that could be made with chief executive pay alone!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I agree with you about the UK members style of debate. I've found that our US cousins are easily offended by us UK bunch as they do not get our humour!

Have you ever watched a dodgy DVD that's been copied in a US cinema? If it's a comedy, you hear them laugh at scenes we Brits do not find funny and we laugh at scenes they don't!

(To Note - I have never watched copyright material)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
But if your argument is that we don't need localised democracy then why not go the whole way and get rid of Westminster. Give all powers over to MEP's?
The answer of course is that different decisions are better made at different levels, and if we accept that democracy is the best system for people to make these decisions (which I hope you do) then we need different levels of elected representatives.
The tiny overall cost is a small price to pay in my opinion for local decision making.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Haha! Agreed

Even our favourite UK member for outrageous comments has a place here in my opinion, I'd be gutted if he ever got himself banned, be boring as # without him.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join