It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See ya Scotland, now please go before influencing our EU referendum for the UK

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Cameron has already suggested that the Referendum is held in 2016 as the 2017 date clashed with elections in Both Germany and France.

Andy Burnham's just jumping on the bandwagon. He's part of a party that thought the UK electorate had no right to the referendum in the first place. Now his party lost both in Scotland and England, the Labour Party realise how out of touch they really are with the UK populace.

I for one will not vote Labour if Andy Burnham wins the Labour Leadership as I hold him in the same regard as Ed Millipede!! Now if Dan Jarvis had stood and won, i would have voted Labour in the next election but they've ended up getting rid of one numpty to replace with another!
edit on 19.5.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Totally agree with your points, I want to know if I am supporting the Yes or No Campaign but without knowledge of what the question is, I have no idea what camp I'm in!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Urgh! Yuk, could've warned me it was the Mail...I need an eye wash now!

Seriously though, it doesn't surprise me at all, when 49.5% of the vote was for the Tories or UKIP, the only two parties supporting a referendum, it was only a matter of time until Labour did a U-turn. #ing snakes, it's only about gaining votes again now they know support for the referendum is so strong.

You wanna start an "EU, yes or no?" thread nonspecific?
I'll certainly contribute but I'm leaving my own 'new thread authoring' alone for a little while, takes a bit of effort keeping up with them sometimes, and I think it will get a bit feisty in such a new topic haha.

I thought this was interesting:
JCB boss says UK should not fear European Union exit

The Chairman of JCB, one of Britain's largest manufacturers, has told the BBC that the UK would manage very well outside the European Union.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I want Cumbria to secede, and reclaim it's former title of Cumberland.....we can take the Geordies with us to even up the map, that plus most southerners can't seem to tell the difference between marra craic and Geordie banter.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Urgh! Yuk, could've warned me it was the Mail...I need an eye wash now!

Seriously though, it doesn't surprise me at all, when 49.5% of the vote was for the Tories or UKIP, the only two parties supporting a referendum, it was only a matter of time until Labour did a U-turn. #ing snakes, it's only about gaining votes again now they know support for the referendum is so strong.

You wanna start an "EU, yes or no?" thread nonspecific?
I'll certainly contribute but I'm leaving my own 'new thread authoring' alone for a little while, takes a bit of effort keeping up with them sometimes, and I think it will get a bit feisty in such a new topic haha.

I thought this was interesting:
JCB boss says UK should not fear European Union exit

The Chairman of JCB, one of Britain's largest manufacturers, has told the BBC that the UK would manage very well outside the European Union.

I could have chosen a different source but thought the mail might be funnier.

Anyone that does not see Burnhams stance as anything other than a desperate attempt to regain a few supporters and disacociate from the carcrash result of the election is foolish at best.

I think I will pass on the in or out thread, I will happily participate but allow a different member the privilage of the unevitable attacks, rants and accusations on this one

I am actually in favour of remaining in the EU but with some ammendments to our status that represent our standing better but I'll leave that for the actual thread.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Haha that's cool, I'll be campaigning for the reformation of Dumnonia the original Brythonic kingdom here in the Sourth West.
Oh, and before you lump all us Southerners together, did you check out that DNA map of the UK recently? We in Devon & Cornwall are very different to our Anglo-Saxon neighbours to the East.

I'll be campaigning for free cider for all working adults, mandatory Pasties on school meal menus, and a regional holiday on St Petroc's day.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I think I will pass on the in or out thread, I will happily participate but allow a different member the privilage of the unevitable attacks, rants and accusations on this one
Haha coward!
I may go for it, but for sure that thread will be hard work. May wait for the Queen's speech to be absolutely sure the referendum is happening first.
If anyone else want's to start such a thread though please do...it will be a mosh-pit, I guarantee it.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

There is sometimes wisdom in cowardace.

After watching most of the threads regarding UK politics latley quickly degenerate into divisive slagging matches where the same old members simply repeat the same old tired stances regardless of the spefic topic I refuse to be the creator of another one.

The problem with debate on ATS is that the vast majority of members have already set there opinions in stone and refuse to allow new information or insight to alter there view point.

I am genuinely considering hitting the streets on this one, knocking on doors ect, I would rather devote my time to something that could actually help people understand the implications of there decision than argue with someone that has already made there choice.

Should be fun though.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I am genuinely considering hitting the streets on this one, knocking on doors ect, I would rather devote my time to something that could actually help people understand the implications of there decision than argue with someone that has already made there choice.
Very good point.
I'm assuming that in the usual British attempt for 'perceived' neutrality there will be equal state funding for both yes and no campaigns so if there is a campaign office in my local authority I will definitely offer practical support to whichever meets my stance on the EU.

...I'm sure there will be many threads about it come closer to the time, political mud-pit here we come!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

In all truth it may make sense to get one of the UK mods to start the thread although that may have to quit there job to keep up.

I can honestly forsee us loosing a few members if were not carefull.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

In all truth it may make sense to get one of the UK mods to start the thread although that may have to quit there job to keep up.

I can honestly forsee us loosing a few members if were not carefull.

Haha true!
...regarding losing members though, some just need to rein in the emotion a little bit, although it is good they show their true colours I reckon, one knows thy enemy that way.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
A vote for the SNP is not (necessarily) a vote for separation. Mind you, if I was Scottish and being ruled exclusively by a bunch of public-school boys who only got 35% of the vote, I'd vote to leave the UK. Perhaps if we had a more democratic system like PR, the Scots would not feel so unrepresented, and more could be done to improve the country as a whole, instead of just funneling money to the rich while the middle-class becomes an underclass.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScreenBogey
Perhaps if we had a more democratic system like PR, the Scots would not feel so unrepresented
Lol, you are joking aren't you?
Under Proportional Representation the SNP would have fewer MP's, only 31 compared to the 56 they got under first past the post.
The Conservatives would be down to 242 from their 331, and UKIP would be up to 82 compared to the 1 they got.
UKIP and the Conservatives would be two MP's short of a controlling coalition, but they would find those easily from the Unionists in N.Ireland.

So, how do you propose making the system 'fairer' for those poor hard done by suffering and oppressed Scot's then?
A Proportional Representation voting system is something the SNP most definitely do not want. It would hit them hard.

*Edit*
Here's how the election results would look under a proportional voting system
edit on 19.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

"Dum"nonia, "Cumber"land ..... between us we've just lowered the perceived intelligence of the entire nation, go us!

I've often considered one of the DNA tests, I know that my mums side (Elder) is originally Scottish, and I've traced the Hooper (dads) side all the way down to Cornwall in the 11th century!

I think it's safe to say I'm a good solid mix all round of British beef.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Haha!
Regarding the DNA test, I've been wanting to do the National Geographic Genograp hic test for a while now, but I always find something more important to spend US$199.95 though, plus the cost of posting the sample back to the US.
I know I'm a Cornish/Welsh hybrid mainly, but it would be interesting to know my Neanderthal/Denisovan ancestry as well.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

It's the Neanderthal bit that peaks my interest, I'm a wee bit on the short side, and naturally large built (always came in handy arm wrestling or tug of war!)....I often wonder if that is down to having a larger portion (greater than the average 2%) of DNA from a previous homo-species......I also have slightly hairy feet....so it could be a hobbit thing....

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScreenBogey
A vote for the SNP is not (necessarily) a vote for separation. Mind you, if I was Scottish and being ruled exclusively by a bunch of public-school boys who only got 35% of the vote, I'd vote to leave the UK. Perhaps if we had a more democratic system like PR, the Scots would not feel so unrepresented, and more could be done to improve the country as a whole, instead of just funneling money to the rich while the middle-class becomes an underclass.

The Scots seem to have forgotten that for 13 years before the previous election we had two Scottish Prime Ministers, did the English start going on a the rampage and become Nationalist? No!

I Lived in Scotland for nearly a decade (now back south) and have many Scottish Friends, but with the whole referendum and the way the SNP are now acting, I wish the whole of the UK could have a referendum on the Union;

"We are either 4 separate Countries with 4 separate parliaments or we are one country with one parliament" At this moment in time I'd love for all four countries to self govern and have done with the Union!

It currently costs over £600 million a year to run the three devolved governments of Scotland, Wales and NI, £600 Million a year that could be spent elsewhere supporting folk and yet we are all quite happy for this bureaucracy to continue and some members on this thread want even more devolved government in England. That has the projected cost of over a Billion per annum in total. What a waste of money and what do we all get for this money? Nationalism, Anglo Phobia.

Ms Sturgeon's salary alone is £144,687, what the hell does she do that makes her earn kind of salary???

As said, I really hope we end up letting Scotland leave the Union along with Wales and give NI back to the Republic of Ireland. Perhaps we'll all get along much better when you can blame your own countrymen (MSPs) for the mess rather than a British Parliament which ends up being blamed on the "English" despite being the only country in the Union without its own Parliament!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

One thing is for sure, we're an island of mongrels here on Britain, and to varying degrees depending on which invaders influenced our various areas.
...maybe it explains why we bitch amongst ourselves so much

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Well put

I'm surprised to learn that Nicola Sturgeons salary is a couple of grand more than the Prime Minister of the UK.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Which is roughly what Boris earns from being mayor of London. Is the argument then that the PM is under paid?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join