It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See ya Scotland, now please go before influencing our EU referendum for the UK

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Well said... this may be "The Mud-Pit" but a few here could really do with stepping back and breathing for a mo - then realising that a lot of folks both side of the border share blood and a great love and respect for each other.

I'm pretty sure my ancestors slit each other's throats and ran each other through on battlefields throughout these lands.

Both sides of my family exist only though marriage of Angle and Scot.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

But Sturgeon isn't stupid - one of the few things the election campaign did show us - and she herself has readily acknowledged that this wasn't a vote for independence but rather a vote for Scotland's dissatisfaction with Westminster.

That dissatisfaction with Westminster and all it represents is something that many in the regions also feel strongly about, and it is growing in both strength and in numbers.

You are one of the few here with a brain who states thing the way they are. Has everyone forgotten of the considerable number of English who live in Scotland? It is our home and the amount of lies perpetuated about what is happening up here (from people who don't live here) is truly astonishing.

I'm from Yorkshire, I voted SNP. I have no intention of painting a saltire on my cheek and running over the heather shouting "freedom" in an Australian accent, despite the narrow minded beliefs of some!!!!!

Just a wee reminder of some things Sturgeon repeated many many times often many many times in answer to the same question because the interviewer was not getting the answer his/her tory brainwashed mind expected :
1. This election is not about independence.
2. Progressive policies will be pursed for the whole of the UK whilst Scotland remains part of the UK and the westminster system.

I'm currently looking out the window at work (eating my lunch) and about 200 yeards away is the last remnants of some cottages from a village called legbrannock where a certain Keir Hardie was born who is probably turning in his grave right now on seeing how his party has changed, hence the labour trouncing.....bet you he would vote SNP since they have the original beliefs !!!!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I'm not being funny but the SNP are all about independence from GB. I'm sure many people are happy to accept that the referendum had put to bed the idea of a split but please make no assumptions that it is no longer part of their agenda.

The rise of the SNP and the rhetoric coming from Scotland towards mainly England has indeed caused bitter resentment to flourish towards Scottish people. Why wouldn't it?

To an outsider, scottish people are enslaved by England with no democracy or political say in British politics.

What was clear from the referendum, taking into consideration the opinions voiced by the Scot's who said no, was they only wanted to remain part of the UK as they feared they'd be financially worse off.

Kinship and our Union started to disintegrate with the rise of the SNP.

Most English people love Scotland, its people and wish to remain united, even if that means we have another Scottish prime minister. ; p

There will always be harsh words towards either side as like most divorces, people get defensive.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
In a thread littered with nothing but hateful, spiteful remarks about my country and it's people...This thread is a joke. Nothing more than a Scots Bashing exercise.

Eh? Which 'hateful' or 'spiteful' remarks do you specifically refer to? I certainly have not been hateful or spiteful, and I must have missed the replies which you claim are such.
Quote a few if you like, or admit you're just being a drama queen.

I must say that the following from your good self is not too friendly, but that's ok, I find such silliness quite amusing as I have a thick skin. Perhaps you should try not to be so sensitive.

The sooner we break our chains from this despicable country and it's people the better...Rotten to the core, Scum of the Earth, Hated Worldwide England.

...but I of course agree, if any part of the UK wishes to leave then yes, the sooner the better. Dragging it out for another 5 years seems pointless.
I suppose poor sensitive souls such as yourself and others will find such thoughts hateful though, aw bless your hearts.

edit on 13.5.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ProleUK
I am afraid that if people can't distinguish between being pro independence and being anti English then that is their problem. Despite how the pro union press likes to portray it there was very little anti English sentiment during the Indy campaign and there is no divided nation up here.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
I am afraid that if people can't distinguish between being pro independence and being anti English then that is their problem.
I agree.
However the two are clearly not mutually exclusive as we see from a few contributions in this thread.

I'm not anti-anyone, I just see a nation of the UK which overwhelmingly voted for the only party which seeks independence.
Alex Salmond has proudly exclaimed that the election result has brought them a step closer to independence. It remains their primary concern.
84% of the Scottish vote last week was for parties supporting EU membership and no controls on EU immigration, this could indicate that there is strong support for the EU in Scotland. That being the case, if Scotland wants to leave the union (and likely in the next few years), I would rather they go sooner than later so their pro EU vote does not influence a country which they will no longer be part of.

...of course such reasoning is probably hateful and Scots bashing though, for those particularly sensitive types at least lol

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: ProleUK
I am afraid that if people can't distinguish between being pro independence and being anti English then that is their problem. Despite how the pro union press likes to portray it there was very little anti English sentiment during the Indy campaign and there is no divided nation up here.

ScepticScot, although I'm not including you in this by any means, on ATS the anti English voices were extremely loud - as a hint, one of them has chimed in already. No matter though, we are all just anonymous voices on an internet based forum where we can say what we want without (probably) recourse.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

I have noticed an interesting trend in this thread where folk prefer to invent added value to my reasoned points, instead of actually entering into debate. Almost facebook style in it's clumsiness at times.
"Hating on the Scot's" "Scots bashing", whatever, it is all rather lame though.

Hate is a much overused and incorrectly applied word on t'interwebs these days. The only comments I could be drawn towards forming an opinion as being hate driven in this thread so far has been from a Scot to the English.

Stick to the debate folks, argue the posted words (and quote them if you are making hate claims) not the imagined intentions and emotions of the poster.
The only only thing that has surprised me in this thread has been the lack of US members with Scots heritage crying "Freedom!!!" lol

edit on 13.5.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted
And there has been several posters making anti Scots comments in this thread and others. Including one who is continual denial. It fortunately represents a small minority on both sides but is an element that the media likes to talk up. Apparently reason labour underperformed in England was a reaction to the "threat" of the SNP.
Either a total fabrication of the media or says something fairly disturbing about the mentality of some of the electorate.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Which particular posts do you assert are "anti Scots" exactly? Care to quote some?
Remember anti Scots means exactly that, not comments criticising the state of funding for Scotland, or the policies of political parties, it means anti Scots, which is a clear viewpoint, you know, nasty, unkind, or whatever to the people, not political parties or governmental policies.

Please do quote a few as I must have missed them, then we can discuss how 'anti Scots' they actually are, or not.
If you do not wish to quote the 'offending' posts then it is difficult to see how I can take your allegations seriously and not just dismiss them as whinging.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
Well there was one on page 2 about Scots whinging, who was that by again?
Posts don't have to say I hate (insert group of choice) to be anti (insert group of choice).
From a previous thread I remember a poster saying gleefully how he hoped a independent Scotland's economy would tank so that he could come back on ATS and be proven right. If only I could remember that posters name.
On a ukip thread someone claimed never to even think about the SNP yet authored a independence thread recently where he mentions them continually. Damn my faulty memory for names....

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Without wishing to take this thread any further down the pan I would say that there have been post that could be considered as negative towards Scotland if taken in that way.

I wold also like to say that this and other political threads of late that the same could be said of Scotish members and there opinions.

You can bicker all you like and claim this or that but if anyone was to look from the outside there is in my opinion something to be said regarding the statement in the OP, remember that? it was a while ago now before ego and opinion got in the way.

Simple. If Scotland wants to go there own way and I agree that they should for the benifit of Scotland then they should do so quickly and have no vote on anything that will not affect them in the years to come.

If this makes me sound rude or mean then so be it. It seems a logical proposition to me but hey I'm just another English tory.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Whatever man, quote the exact post which offends you and I shall consider it. Otherwise you are just making unsubstantiated claims.
It is easy to make unsubstantiated claims so either quote the post or stop whinging.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Down the pan? Haha, no I'm happy enough with this reasonably successful thread in it's 11th page.
I'm still waiting for someone to quote me on anything which could be construed as 'anti Scots' in this thread.
Easy to whinge and go all emotional, but until or unless someone quotes me directly I shall dismiss their silly bleating as just that.
Unable to debate, just whinge 'anti-Scots' as a childlike sidetrack.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Down the pan? Haha, no I'm happy enough with this reasonably successful thread in it's 11th page.
I'm still waiting for someone to quote me on anything which could be construed as 'anti Scots' in this thread.
Easy to whinge and go all emotional, but until or unless someone quotes me directly I shall dismiss their silly bleating as just that.
Unable to debate, just whinge 'anti-Scots' as a childlike sidetrack.

It was a little disapointing to see that no one can qoute anthing they feel was untoward. Although it could then give reason for others to also quote things that were possibly out of order so I understand the concern there.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Anyone who wants to read your posts can make up there own minds, why you think I or anyone should give special weight to your own judgement of your own posts is beyond me.
I gave the example of your Scots whinging post on page 2, up to whoever reads it to decide if they think that is anti Scots or just an opinion.
If you wish to go back on topic perhaps you would like to discuss what you think should happen if a majority in England votes to leave the EU but the rest votes to stay? Should England be the one to leave the UK?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I believe in the quote button

There is too much whinging about hate which does not exist on ATS and all the other outlets of social/discussion media.
It's easy to say "Ooh you were horrible!" when one does not quote the specific post. "Ooh you were horrible!" is only the interpretation of the person bleating about it and does not show context of the conversation.
It is the last refuge of those who do not wish, or are unable to, debate the issue.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Quote my specific post and I'll respond accordingly, otherwise I shall continue dismissing your claims as more whinging.
Go on quote me, and present your argument how I am anti Scots. The quote provides context.
Go on do it, be brave[heart] lol

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: eriktheawful

The Scots have been whinging about everything being Englands fault for years, they narrowly lost the referendum on independence from the UK last year and the whinging has increased, then yesterday they overwhelmingly vote for the SNP which is campaigning for independence (56 MP's elected out of 59 in Scotland), so their message is clear.

And with such a clear message I want them to leave the UK before the UK gets it's referendum on EU membership.
If that is animosity then that's just politics. Nobody has insulted any Scots so far as I see in this thread, just expressed a similar desire as me for them to quickly go now, if that is what they wish.

Sigh......

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

Agreed.

Scotland --- please leave. And while you go, hand back your UK passports (and get your own), the English pound (use your own or the Euro) and give back the money we gave you all those years ago.

So long, don't let the door hit your on the @rse on the way out!

And another

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join