It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Yet another Popular Painkiller in Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Another painkiller, Naproxen, is the fouth painkiller in three months to be recognized as a major contributing factor to causing significant heart problems. Apparently, taking 440 milligrams of Naproxen daily causes an increased risk of heart problems. The U.S. National Institute of Health halted its tests on Naproxen after learning of the pill's harmful effects. Vioxx and Celebrex were two other pills that were also recently taken off the market for their increased risk of cardiovascular problems

www.theglobeandmail.com
Arthritis sufferers were hit with one more dose of bad news Tuesday when the popular painkiller naproxen was linked to an increased risk of heart attacks.

In this case, the compound is not a new, blockbuster medication, but has been prescribed for three decades, suggesting that even the old pain-relief standby could pose serious health risks.

Naproxen, prescribed under 27 brand and generic names and commonly known as Naprosyn, Naprox and Anaprox, is the fourth painkiller in the past three months to be suspected of hurting the heart.

Naproxen is sold under several brand names, including Aleve. Bayer AG, the company that makes Aleve, said that it agrees with the FDA warning. (AP Photo)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It comes as no surprise to me that these events are taking place, a direct reflection on the health care industry and pharmaceutical companies. A recent poll was even taken on prescription drugs. The results stated that a significant amount of Americans trust the safety of prescription drugs. I believe that Americans want to believe that the health care industry and pharmaceutical companies are doing a great job creating new drugs that are safe for them to use in countering an overwhelming number of diseases and ailments that occur in America alone even though many of these drugs have numerous painful side effects that make taking them worse than just living with the ailment itself. I believe that people should always be skeptic about new drugs that appear on the market and they should not be so quick to trust any of these drugs. At the same time, I feel that people should attempt to become more knowledgable about health and start taking more initiative in protecting their health. I feel as if many of the health problems in America could be avoided if more people were health conscious. Nowadays, being health conscious is a matter of life and death.

Related News Links:
www.vioxx-center.com

[edit on 22-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I believe that this was in relation to the 'pain-killer' Aleve. The Naproxen warning also indicates that in the use of such (Aleve) that the potential is there for higher rates or causation of heart attacks, but that if used and taken as prescribed, the rate was minimalized.

Concern is merited though, but over-reaction is is also cautioned.
Doctors warn of overreaction to naproxen finding

seekerof

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
[edit on 12/19/2004 by Mr Knowledge]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Seems the only good painkillers will be the good ole narcotic type ones

join