It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study shows being poor detoriates DNA white people most affected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
A recent report done on Detroit residents has shown that being poor is destroying human DNA. There are many factors that go into this stressors,pollution, adversity but it seems that the poorer you are in America the easier it is for you to die. m.huffpost.com... gn=naytev&utm_content=554cea5be4b0b2764fba23ed

Now this seems very obvious. But it is more complicated than expected. They categorized the damage done to the DNA by race and found very startling conclusions. First off people that consider themselves white seem to be the ones most affected and their DNA telomeres detoriated the most. They compared between poor and lower middle class. The poor whites had the shortest telomeres of all races, but once they became lower middle class they had the longest telomeres surprisingly.

Black people had the same length telomeres regardless of class and their telemeres were longer than poor whites but not longer than lower middle class whites.

Now this is the big one and the one that throws patterns in the data out the window. It seems poor mexicans had the longest telomeres of all races and even had longer telomeres than their lower middle class counter parts!

It was noted that Mexicans of the poor class are least assimilated to American society and have strong family and cultural values. They are first generation immagrants with a strong support system. They also mostly only spoke Spanish and rarely interacted outside their community.

The lower middle class Mexicans were more assimilated and in turn more exposed to American culture and it's stigmas. The stressors seem to be over indentity crisis as the stigma all foreigners go through especially the racism towards Mexicans for being "illegal" and immagrants "stealing" jobs regardless if they came here legally.

The black telomeres are the most fascinating to me because they are the least prone to change no matter the conditions they are put in. It's an indication of the resiliency of the race and even through suffering the need for stability. The white telomeres are the opposite because they are the most prone to change and are the most deteriorated once poor but it is also a blessing in disguise because once they taste even the slightest hint of social mobility and success the telomeres become way longer and regenerate pretty fast shown in how Much longer the lower middle class white telomere is.

Overrall a very fascinating study showing how differeent we are as people and what certain groups of people go through. This is honestly one of the many reasons we must never judge the poor and learn to empathize with different races because we never know what someone else is going through until we step in their shoes. Hope to hear your opinions and have an educated discussion on the nuances of society and the poor and the stressors we all go through.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Direct stimulus is clearly indicated.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Interesting. I wonder if they could further look into specific activities of each level of wealth as well; such as susceptibility to addiction or unhealthy habits. It may help give some additional explanation on the lengths of telomeres and their variation if some groups (either due to biological factors, or their social positions in society) were more prone to those specific issues.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It could be the factors associated to simple lifestyle choices like processed or fresh food, the intake of regular fresh fruit and veg that are more available with a slight increase in wealth, in addition to less despair leading to less proneness to alcoholism, smoking or drugs. Also the factors of more stable family units with increased wealth and more likeliness for forming strong partnerships due to being more eligible.
edit on 8-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Never heard of "telomeres" before so I did a Google search.

Nobel Prize Winner Studies Meditation
lifespa.com...

In 2009, Elizabeth Blackburn won the Nobel Prize for her discovery of the protective caps on chromosomes called, “telomeres.” Every time a cell divides, these protective caps wear down, and over time, the telomeres shorten. As the telomeres shorten, the cells start to malfunction and lose their ability to divide. Today, based on Blackburn’s research, scientists use the measure of telomere length as a metric for aging and disease risk.

The first think I thought of was "this could explain
why native American are so hard hit by life on the
reservation" vs African Americans who seem more
resilient to the stress of poverty, slavery, etc.

The link above only touches on this question:

In another study by Dr. Mary Armanios, MD at the John Hopkins School of Medicine, the telomere lengths of over 2000 Native Americans were evaluated. Those with the shortest telomeres were more than twice as likely to develop diabetes during a five and a half year window.

It would not surprise me to find telomere lengths to
be short on average than other groups, although I've
seen no studies that show this... yet.

Dr. Blackburn followed the logical paper trail:
shorter telomeres cause accelerated aging,
highly stressed people had shorter telomeres,
and short telomeres are linked to health concerns.
The paper trail led her to study meditation and
the results were impressive.

Traditionally, Nobel Prize winners do not study meditation; so kudos to Dr. Blackburn for enduring much professional ridicule and bias, and persevering to follow the path to truth in the name of science. Sadly, it seems too few scientists are willing to do that. (1) Nonetheless, Dr. Blackburn decided to study the effects of meditation on telomere length.

In one small pilot study, a group of 30 volunteers went to the Shambhala Mountain Center in Northern Colorado for a three-month meditation retreat. Impressively, the group had a whopping 30% increase in telomerase activity! (3) In addition, this was the first study to link meditation to telomerase activity, and one in a long list of others that support the psychological health benefits of meditation. It was found that meditation supported improved purpose of life, mindfulness, and less negative emotionality compared to the control group.

Thanks to Dr. Blackburn and her colleagues, we now
have strong science that suggests that everyone
ought to be practicing some type of meditation
or stress reduction practice.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Three routes have been proposed to reverse telomere shortening: drugs, gene therapy, or metabolic suppression, so-called, torpor/hibernation. So far these ideas have not been proven in humans, but it has been demonstrated that telomere shortening is reversed in hibernation and aging is slowed (Turbill, et al. 2012 & 2013) and that hibernation prolongs life-span (Lyman et al. 1981).

en.wikipedia.org...

meditation was not listed, but ought to be
if we are seriously considering hibernation.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

'Deteriorates DNA' isn't really an appropriate description of the study's results - it's more a headline grabber for the Huff.

They're saying that their results show different lengths of telomere across three racially-defined groups (Mexican, White, Black). They use statistics of 'poverty-to-income (PIR)' and stack them together with other dynamics like race, gender, age, subjective stressors etc.

White people show a greater difference in the length of telemeres when compared to lower and middle classes. It's scientific evidence to support the popular observation that poor people age faster than those with more comfortable lives.

I've only skimmed through the paper and it's a valid study with the most interesting (for me) sections covering explanatory variables. I'm not a scientist, but studying and referencing academic literature represents part of my occupation.

I was looking for a reference to melatonin (anti-oxidant protein) in the explanatory variables and there isn't one. The appearance of ageing is linked to melatonin and it crossed my mind that maybe a factor in the racial differences is melatonin production. A quick Google Scholar search shows that melatonin has been linked to the length of telemeres and ageing.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The black telomeres are the most fascinating to me because they are the least prone to change no matter the conditions they are put in. It's an indication of the resiliency of the race and even through suffering the need for stability. The white telomeres are the opposite because they are the most prone to change and are the most deteriorated once poor but it is also a blessing in disguise because once they taste even the slightest hint of social mobility and success the telomeres become way longer and regenerate pretty fast shown in how Much longer the lower middle class white telomere is.

I read this thread and can't help but think that there was a thread on ATS once that explained to me how there is no such thing as race.
The Myth of Race

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

There is no such as race but we all mutated and adapted to the environment presented so we are very much different

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: christophoros
a reply to: butcherguy

There is no such as race but we all mutated and adapted to the environment presented so we are very much different

Yet we see references to differences in racially defined groups.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
There may be no basis for race but you can be sure that having native coloring and looks (using a local example here in Canada) will bring out subtle racism from the dominant society. Most people are not overtly racist but it wouldn't take more than a few instances in a recipient's life to create stress, anger and feelings of low self worth. It could even be argued that any one person is responsible for how they internalize racism and other isms and, while this is true, the vast majority of people, as social animals, suffer stress from their emotional environment.

Very interesting study that hopefully leads to people learning not to be racist, not because it's politically correct or the right thing to do, but because they can relate to the stress it causes their fellow human beings.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Stress alone can eat away at telemeres. Nothing is more stressful than poverty. Maybe there's also a generational factor, like if your mother was severely stressed and had shorter telemeres maybe yours would also be naturally shorter. That's just guessing though.
edit on 5/8/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Interesting that races that have been poor for centuries are less impacted by poverty while whites which have been generally well off for a millennia are hardest hit by poverty. Could this be saying that whites are the least able to deal with hardships because such things haven't been bred into us?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
What about food, if you are poor but still eat pretty healthy I guess your telomeres do much better. Poor whites perhaps go much faster for unhealthy food then other races?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

If the blacks are the most resilient to change and conditions, than why do they burn cities down? Shouldn't they be able to deal with stuff easier and more logically than to resort to mayhem? According to your post..

ID
edit on 8-5-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItalianDressing

If the blacks are the most resilient to change and conditions, than why do they burn cities down? Shouldn't they be able to deal with stuff easier and more logically than to resort to mayhem?

ID

I don't know how to say this without coming off as a racist, but that's not my intention. If certain cultures are used to hardships then perhaps a dysfunctional system makes them more prone to burn everything down and create those hardships because that is what's familiar. If poverty is all you know especially on a genetic level, then perhaps it becomes easier to destroy the society that is supposed to take you out of poverty.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: ItalianDressing

If the blacks are the most resilient to change and conditions, than why do they burn cities down? Shouldn't they be able to deal with stuff easier and more logically than to resort to mayhem?

ID

I don't know how to say this without coming off as a racist, but that's not my intention. If certain cultures are used to hardships then perhaps a dysfunctional system makes them more prone to burn everything down and create those hardships because that is what's familiar. If poverty is all you know especially on a genetic level, then perhaps it becomes easier to destroy the society that is supposed to take you out of poverty.

But if your poor and can't afford bread, then you finally get a dollar, the grocery store is in flames. How does that help them to burn their own stuff? I guess I just do not understand. Sorry if I am drifting off topic.

Also... I do not buy the poverty claim. Most of these thug type elements have way more money than I could ever dream of. Their facebook pages... A 600 dollar handgun or 3, 1k gold chain, tattoos at 100-300 a pop... They are not poor.

ID

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Studies are getting dumber by the day, where scientists keep getting those ideas is a mystery to me.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Sounds like another scientifically generated excuse for the decades of failed government economic and social policies.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ItalianDressing

Well, being quite poor myself I can answer the question, I think. The less you have the more likely you are to live in the moment because all your resources get used up by day to day expenses. The concept of saving up doesn't really apply because there's no such thing. Did you know that if you worked a minimum wage job for 40 hours per week, and if you could save half of everything you made after taxes at the average university it would take you three years to save for a single semesters worth of college?

When people are low on Maslow's hierarchy and don't have reliable food and shelter they tend to act much more in the moment and for some people it simply gets to be too much and they want to see things burn... it's an act of complete and utter frustration and anger. How many people are rational when they're angry and frustrated? Try being like that every moment of every day and see what happens.

As for the rest, there's a big difference between thugs who are just criminals and the poor who are law abiding. It's the law abiding ones that start and contribute to riots, it's the thugs who use the chaos to loot big screen tv's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join