It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 enters AIM-9X Certification

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The first two aimed AIM-9X missiles have been fired from an F-22 flying near the China Lake testing area. The first shot was fired Feb 26th, and hit a BQM-34 target drone. The second was on April 29th, at a BQM-74 target drone. The second shot was described as "doing things only the Raptor can do while firing an AIM-9X".

The F-22 has been certified for the AIM-9M to date. The CTF has performed 17 release tests, but these were the first guided tests that hit a target. The previous tests were to certify that it was safe to launch the missile with no problems. Integration of the -9X required a redesign to the launch rail, as well as software updates that were performed by the CTF. It will give the F-22 all aspect capability that it hasn't had until now.

5/6/2015 - EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- The 411th Flight Test Squadron and F-22 Combined Test Force successfully test fired two guided AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles this year as part of the latest phase in getting the Raptor closer to using the missile operationally.

The AIM-9X is an advanced infrared missile and the newest of the Sidewinder family of short-range air-to-air missiles carried on a wide range of fighter jets.

The first guided launch of the AIM-9X from an F-22 Raptor was Feb. 26 by Maj. Christopher Guarente, 411th FLTS assistant director of operations and F-22 test pilot. The missile successfully shot down a BQM-34 drone.

The second guided firing was conducted April 29 by Maj. Patrick Killingsworth targeting a BQM-74 drone. Both shots were taken over the nearby China Lake test range.

"The second shot was done in a much more stressing flight regime; doing things that only the Raptor can do while employing the AIM-9X," said Jeremy Cookson, F-22 Weapons Integration lead engineer.

www.edwards.af.mil...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I love aircraft technology but what is the point keeping this program going...I must say that with all of our techonology we have had dozens of military skirmishes in the middle east and I can say that we would have done just a good of job with cruise missle strikes from ships, laser guided munition from our F-16/F-15 fighters than waste our money on a technology that we seldom if ever employ..

I really thought the Commanche was actually a worthwhile project but that got scrapped pretty quickly..I'm just not sold by this aircraft or the f-35 multi role...

I'm fine with a bunch of gunships flying dropping hot lead and some other munitions with some EA-18's for support/jamming.

But call me old fashion

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Thanks for the update.

Took them long enough though. The 9X has been around for at least 10 years now, probably more but I can't be bothered to research it right now.

Maybe I'm just jaded but it seems to me that with all the funds dumped into these projects the return is not equal to the investment. At least not what's available to the public anyway.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 Hi Zaph, one mean aircraft this thing is, got to see one at an airshow, pilot said it was the Ferrari of the air with extreme tech in the works. This shows what we can do, but there will be those whom say it is just for show. thanks for the thread, always read yours......

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

The F-22 has been operational for many years now, this is just a weapons upgrade. There's a thread I wrote 6 or 7 years ago I think now about the age of our current fleets that is scary as hell. At the time the F-15 fleet was approaching 30 years old, and it's still our major front line fighter. There was one last year that was flying from point A to point B for a radar upgrade, that apparently just fell out of the sky (still haven't seen the AIB report so don't know the cause). When the F-15s had to have their longerons repaired, the $12,000 longeron cost them $250,000 in labor to repair.

At one point 25% of the F-16 fleet was reporting cracks in the bulkheads or wings depending on the block number, and they actually had to cancel a Top Gun class because of it.

The F-22 won't be used for ground attack, just air to air. Without air superiority, those missile strikes, or F-15E strikes will have a harder time getting through. That's where the F-22 comes in.

Fighter Purchases and Age
edit on 5/8/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: teslahowitzer

We got to see every one tested, and got our own private air shows when they were building them. The test range went right over where I lived at the time, so we got to see them doing all kinds of insane maneuvering. It's a pretty airplane that's for sure.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
A little sideways ... but DANG, I had no idea the K-13 was a direct rip off of the Sidewinder...even to the point they could be used interchangeably! The Russians did a crazy job of copying it..

K-13

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

They supposedly copied it so well they even copied the part numbers stamped on the Sidewinder.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So I guess when anyone captures them, they can just slap them on the plane and shoot them right back?

"We shoot you with your own missile! Haha!"

How crazy the the international arms trade is....

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

No, they have to be able to talk to them. They copied them, but using their own parts, so the aircraft could talk to them. An AIM-120 system won't talk to a Russian aircraft to show it's locked on to a target. They could theoretically replace the internals with their own and use the casing, but you can't just slap an American missile on a Russian plane.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
So I guess when anyone captures them, they can just slap them on the plane and shoot them right back?

"We shoot you with your own missile! Haha!"

How crazy the the international arms trade is....

In soviet america missile shoot you!!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is a pretty big Mod for the Raptor. The integration of the HMCS to the missile in the bay must have been a hard challenge to overcome.

The Raptor has proven to be an excellent interceptor versus the encroaching Russians. We're lucky that today the A/A threat isn't that great, but if it were, most data shows that the Raptor would be very successful. I'd like to see more A/G work. Really, the F/A-22 is designed as a "first day of the war" machine. We can throw the F-15, 16 and 18s in later.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

little sideways ... but DANG, I had no idea the K-13 was a direct rip off of the Sidewinder...

Why spend your own money when you can copy the Americans and their expensive research...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

They supposedly copied it so well they even copied the part numbers stamped on the Sidewinder.

No need to be bothered by the small details such as part numbers when your copying a Sidewinder design.

I guess they figured nobody would notice.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
A little sideways ... but DANG, I had no idea the K-13 was a direct rip off of the Sidewinder...even to the point they could be used interchangeably! The Russians did a crazy job of copying it..

K-13

The K-13 was a copy of the AIM 9C, while workable this version is long out of date. The US military would have few problems ducking a K-13.
This was before the Introduction of all-aspect Sidewinders starting with the AIM-9L.
The modals after AIM-9M are higher performance longer range.

The AIM-9X block I used on the F-22 is a compressed carriage version of Sidewinder, called Boxoffice,
The block II version allows lock-on after launch so the missile can be carried inboard on stealth aircraft.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

How "smart" are these things? Can the target be changed or new directions given to them after they're fired? Like -- lets say you select an enemy fighter/plane and fire. Suddenly, you notice that the aircraft you've launched against has just been destroyed by someone else or something...can you set it to "self destruct" or pick the "next available target" -- or perhaps select a specific target from your controls inside the F-22?

It seems we should have the technology possible to do those things. I mean, I can order Taco Bell now from my smart phone.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Not very. In the early days of the Sidewinder they'd lock onto the sun. You can't retarget in flight unless you get lucky and it sees another target on its own.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Not very. In the early days of the Sidewinder they'd lock onto the sun.

Don't forget trains, boats, and the occasional semi. Be careful out there...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

The AIM-9X is the best looking sidewinder yet. Off foresight is where its at and with the new systems in the 22 and 35 its a great match. i wonder if they got HAVE DASH (advanced AMRAAM) i believe the new side winder and a new high mach AMRAAM would be sweet

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

Someone threw a plane at a truck driver in Atlanta today. It's getting dangerous out here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join