It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two men running for the Republican nomination that were not born in the USA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I missed the part where it was the actual Republican Party that did that birther thing?

No, the party didn't do it. Birthers did it. Mostly Tea Partiers.

That is how the Democrats get away with so much of their stuff, they let their punditry do it. Turnabout is only fair play, so please don't try to claim some mythical high ground.

I'm not a Democrat, and I'm not claiming anything.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

No, the party didn't do it. Birthers did it. Mostly Tea Partiers.

Actually Hillary and her campaign started that..........try again

The answer lies in Democratic, not Republican politics, and in the bitter, exhausting spring of 2008. At the time, the Democratic presidential primary was slipping away from Hillary Clinton and some of her most passionate supporters grasped for something, anything that would deal a final reversal to Barack Obama. (See: Bachmann: Birther issue settle

Birtherism, where did it start

but hey repeat a lie enough ....the progressive motto

edit on 5/8/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I'm not talking about how it started. I know that. Jesus! I'm talking about the birther movement. Grow up.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I'm not talking about how it started. I know that. Jesus! I'm talking about the birther movement. Grow up.

....the movement was started by the Democrats....

Grow up? stating facts arent grown up?

Id say youre hostile reaction is a less "grown up" then me stating the truth

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
I was talking to my Mom on the phone the other day, and as always, the discussion turned to politics.

Both I and my Mom are proud liberals. We take a lot of crap for that. Anyway, I'd like to know what you all think about the fact that there is someone running for the Republican nomination who were not born in the USA.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada.

So why the heck is he running? I shake my head at the hypocrisy. These "birthers" want to criticize Obama, who was BORN IN THE UNITED STATES, yet think it's okay to have someone run who wasn't! Pretty sad and pathetic. The Republicans are hypocrites .

The Supreme Court would have to overturn an amendment. Not gonna happen.

So flame away! I have my fireproof Kevlar, plus I'm a retired Navy Chief, so I can take it. Go!

Being born outside the country, I may be able to clarify. When you are born to US citizens (both parents) abroad you are considered a natural citizen. Also many natural citizens born abroad are born in US facilities that are 'considered' US soil

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I was talking to my Mom on the phone the other day, and as always, the discussion turned to politics.

Both I and my Mom are proud liberals. We take a lot of crap for that. Anyway, I'd like to know what you all think about the fact that there is someone running for the Republican nomination who were not born in the USA.

So why the heck is he running? I shake my head at the hypocrisy. These "birthers" want to criticize Obama, who was BORN IN THE UNITED STATES, yet think it's okay to have someone run who wasn't! Pretty sad and pathetic. The Republicans are hypocrites .

The Supreme Court would have to overturn an amendment. Not gonna happen.

So flame away! I have my fireproof Kevlar, plus I'm a retired Navy Chief, so I can take it. Go!

this is modern world. In Ukraine, for example, whole cabinet of ministry now are foreign individuals from all over the western world. Pips there are fine with that, seems like.

On a serious note, I agree with you. Although, it means jack where your next president was born. It just make your taking sh#@t easier when directives come from 100% 'American'. You would say then, 'ok, pill I have to take really for my benefit, he is 'american' after all, he can do no harm to me.."

Am I right?

DO.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

As a Conservative, I say he isn't eligible, if he wasn't born in the U.S. No debate needed there. He may be great in various aspects, but he's not eligible to be president. Unless, it's a case like McCain (whom I don't actually like), who was a citizen because of parent's military status. I am not certain how duel citizenship would play out. I am not really comfortable with it, though.
edit on 8-5-2015 by LadyGreenEyes because: added note

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

You do not have to be born in the USA - like Obama was - to be a natural born US citizen.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is not a coincidence. They have been setting precedent by presenting false choices and by signing off on controversial candidates but never legally testing them.

John McCain was in essentially the same boat as Cruz, except that he actually didn't become a citizen, natural born or otherwise, until he was a young boy. Congress have a meaningless affirmation of his eligibility before he ran but that never went before a court.

Obama's controversy is of course infamous.
Now Cruz, who won't be elected so it won't matter- but when somebody who does matter comes along- their way will be prepared and the SCOTUS would effectively have to rule that America went over a decade with only one candidate on the ballot if any, or that natural born citizenship can be conferred by congress.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
So his mother would have had to renounce her US citizenship to live there.Just sayin hypothetically.

Why? You do not need Indonesian citizenship to live in Indonesia.... Anyway, as Obama was born in Hawaii what has Indonesia have to do with anything?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Wow, so many different points have been made as to what constitutes US citizenship.

There is no black and white on this, just many shades of gray.

I feel I will have to do some in depth research on this. I'm curious and like to know what I'm talking about.

I imagine Cruz and his advisors looked into all this before he decided to run (maybe).

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Look at recent elections- McCain being born in Panama and wasn't Romney born in Mexico? But Republicans didn't give a rip because their "principles" are fake.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Really? Like the fabricated story of Bush that forced the retirement of a 'highly respected' news host? The name escapes, I never watched him anyways...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Alright, I've been looking into this. I have some friends who work in government, and they indicate that Cruz may run into some snags on the citizenship thing.

As some have already mentioned, it's not cut and dried.

And I have another question. Why is it that I don't see any evidence of Democrats screaming to look at Cruz' naturalization papers? A long form version of his green card perhaps? Nobody is freaking out about this.

Yet some Republicans went nuts and screamed about a conspiracy about Obama's birth certificate, even though it was proven many times over that it's legit.

I will stand by my opinion that Cruz is a fringe candidate, and it's not worth screaming over, as he's not a threat or viable candidate.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Don't worry about it, none of the two will be making it to president anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join