It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two men running for the Republican nomination that were not born in the USA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Ah, so we can assume you questioned Obama's citizenship and commented on those threads as well as on Cruz's??

No? I thought not.

Double standards? Cough, cough....

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Indonesia does not recognize dual citizenship at all. So his mother would have had to renounce her US citizenship to live there.Just sayin hypothetically.

Not that it's relevant to this discussion AT ALL, but Obama's mother wasn't a CITIZEN of Indonesia. She and Barack were RESIDENTS, sponsored by Soetoro, an Indonesian citizen. You don't have to renounce your US citizenship to RESIDE in Indonesia... "Hypothetically", indeed! Study up.

Residency in Indonesia

Types of VISAs:

Temporary Residency Permit - KITAS: valid for six months to one year. A KITAS Visa is the most common visa for foreign residents and requires an Indonesian sponsor. Valid for five years in total, it is first valid for one year and must subsequently be extended every 12 months.
Permanent Residency Permit - KITAP: valid for five years; after the first period of five years, it can be extended for four more consecutive five-year periods, and is valid for 25 years in total. A KITAP Visa requires a sponsor, and is most often given to foreigners who are married to Indonesian citizens and who plan on living in Indonesia permanently.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I'm not questioning Cruz's citizenship. READ!!

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Both are eligible to run for presidency.

And yes, I did question Obama's. I was VERY involved in the search to see if he was a citizen.
edit on 5/8/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
She could not have had dual citizenship in the US and Indonesia. Indonesia at that time did not allow dual citizenship .Therefore to live in Indonesia she would have had to give up her American citizenship to live there (or be an undocumented worker)

All this was "hypothetically speaking to show the difference"
edit on 8-5-2015 by Gothmog because: add info

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Oh well and it was all "hypothetically stated" to show the difference. (although , how long were they there ?)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Cool. I respect that. However, I'm sure your aware that you are the exception.

Collectively, we tend to cut a bit more slack for those we like than those we don't.

Not really a political issue, more a human one.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Interesting. I'll do some more checking into Marco Rubio.

As for Ted Cruz, that whole thing is confusing. I wasn't aware he gave up his Canadian citizenship. Not sure how that works with the amendment.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't think Canada actually allows people to give up their citizenship so he can say he gave it up but not sure it is legal.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

There is no exception here. No one is really pushing the Cruz birther conspiracy and all Constitutional lawyers agree that he is fine to run provided that he renounced his Canadian citizenship; which he did.

I don't see headline news of Cruz being ineligible to run for Presidency along with a bunch of made up hyperbole plastered all over MSN for instance. Clearly the left is above such idiotic arguments.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I was talking to my Mom on the phone the other day, and as always, the discussion turned to politics.

Both I and my Mom are proud liberals. We take a lot of crap for that. Anyway, I'd like to know what you all think about the fact that there is someone running for the Republican nomination who were not born in the USA.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada.

So why the heck is he running? I shake my head at the hypocrisy. These "birthers" want to criticize Obama, who was BORN IN THE UNITED STATES, yet think it's okay to have someone run who wasn't! Pretty sad and pathetic. The Republicans are hypocrites .

The Supreme Court would have to overturn an amendment. Not gonna happen.

So flame away! I have my fireproof Kevlar, plus I'm a retired Navy Chief, so I can take it. Go!

But but but, what about Obama's birth certificate.

I'd like to see aLL of the conservative "birthers" please explain this situation.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Please follow the link provided above by benevolent heretic. It is about the proper visas required to live in and work in, Indonesia. You do NOT need to be a citizen to reside or work there. You need the appropriate documents. Just like the US or any other country. Obama's mother would not have had to renounce her citizenship or be undocumented. They had the appropriate visa's. That is all that is required.

For example-

Types of Resident Visas

1.Izin Kunjungan Sosial Budaya Visa - VKSB: valid for up to six months. The Sosial Budaya, or social-cultural visa requires an Indonesian sponsor. It is valid for 60 days after which it must be extended every month for up to six months. It is used for visiting family, or for social-cultural exchanges. It is a single entry visa; when the holder leaves the country, the visa becomes invalid.
2.Kunjungan Beberapa Kali Perjalanan Visa or Sosial Budaya - Multiple-entry Visa: valid for 12 months. This is a social-cultural visa that is valid for 12 months and allows multiple entries into and out of the country.
3.VITAS or VBS - a Limited-stay Visa or Semi-Permanent Residence Visa: A foreigner hired by an Indonesian company is given a VITAS while still in their home country. This is extended to the worker's spouse and children and is issued after a work permit has been authorised. When a foreign worker and his family arrives in Indonesia, immigration procedures change the VITAS visa to a KITAS visa.
4.Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas or Temporary Residency Permit - KITAS: valid for six months to one year. A KITAS Visa is the most common visa for foreign residents and requires an Indonesian sponsor. Valid for five years in total, it is first valid for one year and must subsequently be extended every 12 months.
5.Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap or Permanent Residency Permit - KITAP: valid for five years; after the first period of five years, it can be extended for four more consecutive five-year periods, and is valid for 25 years in total. A KITAP Visa requires a sponsor, and is most often given to foreigners who are married to Indonesian citizens and who plan on living in Indonesia permanently.
6.Retirement Visa - for those aged over 55

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I think Cruz has bigger issues if he really want to be a frontrunner for the GOP. If we really wanted to pick hairs here, we should be asking why should a guy lead the country when his father only became a US citizen in 2005, or why his dad said that he fought for Castro while in Cuba (but then left when he found out that Castro was communist). Really?

If I was running it would be easy (and quite frankly I'm not sure why nobody else here has even discussed this) to show that Cruz is nothing more then a "Friendly" Communist running as a Republican in an attempt to further distort the American Dream.

Seriously though, Cruz needs to fix rethink his statements about what the POTUS can actually do before making claims about "what he will do" as POTUS.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
At this point, I'd vote for someone born on Jupiter over the corporate pawns on the right and the deceitful traitorous wench on the left.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
Obama's citizenship issue came up after he was already elected. Ted Cruz won't get elected.

It was actually during the primaries. The National Review Online asked for Obama's birth certificate in June of 2008, 5 months before he was elected.
Source

originally posted by: nwtrucker
However, I'm sure your aware that you are the exception.

Really? Can you link to a few of the fifty or so threads on ATS written by liberal birthers that challenge Ted Cruz's citizenship and question his birth certificate or the circumstances of his birth, or his mother's citizenship or his paternity? I don't think I'm the exception. Birtherism is a mental illness, whether the candidate is a republican or a democrat.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick

Always glad to see a Chief on the boards! Hopefully you're a real, initiated Chief!!

The birther movement was a loud minority of Americans and never really had any evidence...just loud voices.

Sen Cruz does not have a chance in hell of getting the nod, let alone winning the Presidential election. Also, the whole citizenship requirement is about as gray as a naval destroyer!

Yes, I am a real initiated Chief, got my anchors 9-25-2004.

I agree that Cruz is. Fringe candidate at best. And I'm in total agreement that the citizenship thing is a mess.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Okay, I cannot change the title, so I will edit my initial post. I still have an issue with Cruz running.

Thank you to all who corrected me. Will be talking to my Mom about this later.

Liberal or Conservative.....I don't think any of us have decent choices, and there doesn't seem to be a lesser of two evils. Both parties have divided this country more in the last 16 years than any other time. From the candidates I have seen, that will continue. Disheartening really. I can't say I agree with Republicans or Democrats on much anymore. Neither needs to be in office....it is time for a REAL change, not another empty promise.

I agree with you on that. With Bernie Sanders running, I have some hope again.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

Obama's citizenship issue came up after he was already elected. Ted Cruz won't get elected.

It was actually during the primaries. The National Review Online asked for Obama's birth certificate in June of 2008, 5 months before he was elected.

Source

originally posted by: nwtrucker

However, I'm sure your aware that you are the exception.

Really? Can you link to a few of the fifty or so threads on ATS written by liberal birthers that challenge Ted Cruz's citizenship and question his birth certificate or the circumstances of his birth, or his mother's citizenship or his paternity? I don't think I'm the exception. Birtherism is a mental illness, whether the candidate is a republican or a democrat.

Ha! I did not know that. Where have I been? I guess it wasn't on regular tv news, then? And Hillary supporters questioned his citizenship, too?

I didn't become aware of it until right after he was elected.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Great discussion so far. There is a lot of confusion on citizenship in the U.S., as well as other countries.

I wonder if people will start discussing Cruz' citizenship in the MSM. I'm not seeing much yet on that. That could pick up in the coming months though.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I am with you on republicans being hypocrites but I need to point out that you only have to be a natural born citizen to be president. You can be born in Canada as long as your parents are Americans.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I wonder if people will start discussing Cruz' citizenship in the MSM.

Oh, I hope not! That would really be embarrassing! By every law in the country, Cruz is a "US citizen at birth" or a natural born citizen.

He won't get close to the nomination, though.
edit on 5/8/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
It's basically the same as Obama's eligibility.

Except that Obama was actually born in the US... but otherwise you're right. Cruz's father was born in Canada (Obama's father was born in Kenya). Both their mothers were born in the US. They both gave up any ties to citizenship of their fathers' birth countries. Both are eligible to run for presidency.

But the GOP won't hold anyone to the same standards as they do Obama. Why is that?

I missed the part where it was the actual Republican Party that did that birther thing?

That is how the Democrats get away with so much of their stuff, they let their punditry do it. Turnabout is only fair play, so please don't try to claim some mythical high ground.
edit on 8-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join