It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two men running for the Republican nomination that were not born in the USA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I was talking to my Mom on the phone the other day, and as always, the discussion turned to politics.

Both I and my Mom are proud liberals. We take a lot of crap for that. Anyway, I'd like to know what you all think about the fact that there is someone running for the Republican nomination who were not born in the USA.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada.

So why the heck is he running? I shake my head at the hypocrisy. These "birthers" want to criticize Obama, who was BORN IN THE UNITED STATES, yet think it's okay to have someone run who wasn't! Pretty sad and pathetic. The Republicans are hypocrites .

The Supreme Court would have to overturn an amendment. Not gonna happen.

So flame away! I have my fireproof Kevlar, plus I'm a retired Navy Chief, so I can take it. Go!
edit on 8-5-2015 by ChiefD because: I stand corrected regarding Rubio.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. Marco Rubio was born in Cuba. They are both running for the Republican nomination for President. They are both well aware of the amendment to the Constitution that states anyone born outside the United States cannot be President.

That's not quite true.

Ted had dual citizenship, making him a proper 'nationalized' candidate, so long as he gave up his Canadian citizenship, which he did.

As for Marco Rubio, he was born in Florida.

~Tenth

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
I was talking to my Mom on the phone the other day, and as always, the discussion turned to politics.

Both I and my Mom are proud liberals. We take a lot of crap for that. Anyway, I'd like to know what you all think about the fact that there are two men running for the Republican nomination who were not born in the USA.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. Marco Rubio was born in Cuba. They are both running for the Republican nomination for President. They are both well aware of the amendment to the Constitution that states anyone born outside the United States cannot be President.

So why the heck are these guys running? I shake my head at the hypocrisy. These "birthers" want to criticize Obama, who was BORN IN THE UNITED STATES, yet think it's okay to have someone run who wasn't! Pretty sad and pathetic. The Republicans are hypocrites .

The Supreme Court would have to overturn an amendment. Not gonna happen.

So flame away! I have my fireproof Kevlar, plus I'm a retired Navy Chief, so I can take it. Go!

Rubio was actually born in FL. Not sure how the Canadian will work as I believe he was born in Canada, though there is likely some loophole to allow him as president.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Even though Cruz was born outside of the country, he is still a US citizen when born. Rubio was born in Florida...

Is Ted Cruz, born in Canada, eligible to run for president? (Updated)

Cruz — full name: Rafael Edward Cruz — was born in Calgary, Canada, in 1970. His family was living there because his father was working for the oil industry at the time. They moved when he was four. Cruz grew up in Texas and graduated from high school there, later attending Princeton University and Harvard Law School.

In 2013, the first-term senator — already considered a prospective presidential candidate — released his birth certificate, which shows his mother was born in Delaware and his father was born in Cuba. (A situation similar to Obama, whose mother was born in Kansas and father was African.)

Most legal scholars maintain that Cruz is in the clear despite his Canadian birthplace.

edit on 8-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

That's not quite true.

Ted had dual citizenship, making him a proper 'nationalized' candidate, so long as he gave up his Canadian citizenship, which he did.

As for Marco Rubio, he was born in Florida.

~Tenth

And......you beat me to it....

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Interesting. I'll do some more checking into Marco Rubio.

As for Ted Cruz, that whole thing is confusing. I wasn't aware he gave up his Canadian citizenship. Not sure how that works with the amendment.

Thanks for the clarification.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Okay, I cannot change the title, so I will edit my initial post. I still have an issue with Cruz running.

Thank you to all who corrected me. Will be talking to my Mom about this later.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Okay, I cannot change the title, so I will edit my initial post. I still have an issue with Cruz running.

Liberal or Conservative.....I don't think any of us have decent choices, and there doesn't seem to be a lesser of two evils. Both parties have divided this country more in the last 16 years than any other time. From the candidates I have seen, that will continue. Disheartening really. I can't say I agree with Republicans or Democrats on much anymore. Neither needs to be in office....it is time for a REAL change, not another empty promise.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

a reply to: tothetenthpower

Interesting. I'll do some more checking into Marco Rubio.

As for Ted Cruz, that whole thing is confusing. I wasn't aware he gave up his Canadian citizenship. Not sure how that works with the amendment.

Thanks for the clarification.

So can Cruz run? He likely can, just as Obama could have even if he were born in Kenya -- which, again, he most certainly wasn’t.

Cruz — full name: Rafael Edward Cruz — was born in Calgary, Canada, in 1970. His family was living there because his father was working for the oil industry at the time. They moved when he was four. Cruz grew up in Texas and graduated from high school there, later attending Princeton University and Harvard Law School.

In 2013, the first-term senator — already considered a prospective presidential candidate — released his birth certificate, which shows his mother was born in Delaware and his father was born in Cuba. (A situation similar to Obama, whose mother was born in Kansas and father was African.)

Source

It's basically the same as Obama's eligibility. Although I doubt the GOP will make a big stink out of it.

~Tenth

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Always glad to see a Chief on the boards! Hopefully you're a real, initiated Chief!!

The birther movement was a loud minority of Americans and never really had any evidence...just loud voices.

Sen Cruz does not have a chance in hell of getting the nod, let alone winning the Presidential election. Also, the whole citizenship requirement is about as gray as a naval destroyer!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

If he presents a photoshop layered birth certificate proving himself, that will certainly squash all doubts though right?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

It's basically the same as Obama's eligibility.

Except that Obama was actually born in the US... but otherwise you're right. Cruz's father was born in Canada (Obama's father was born in Kenya). Both their mothers were born in the US. They both gave up any ties to citizenship of their fathers' birth countries. Both are eligible to run for presidency.

But the GOP won't hold anyone to the same standards as they do Obama. Why is that?

edit on 5/8/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I thought Jeb
was the one...

these other two
are just a side show
attraction[distraction]

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

It's basically the same as Obama's eligibility.

Except that Obama was actually born in the US... but otherwise you're right. Cruz's father was born in Canada (Obama's father was born in Kenya). Both their mothers were born in the US. They both gave up any ties to citizenship of their fathers' birth countries. Both are eligible to run for presidency.

But the GOP won't hold anyone to the same standards as they do Obama. Why is that?

Because if politicians didn't have double standards they wound have no standards.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

They will only bring that up if either two candidates start to get a lot of support during the primaries. Until then, they don't want to pull that old dirty bag of tricks out cause the Dem's will SLAUGHTER them with it.

If if they do bring it up, it will very veiled. They'll talk about how people not born and raised in the US can't possibly understand US culture etc..

They'll be some racist ads where Rubio is concerned that's for sure, but they'll be 'PC Racist" so they'll be talked about but not admonished.

Honestly, this whole election cycle is going to be a hell of an entertaining experience.

Personally, I'm hoping Bernie gets a lot of support and gives Hillary a run for her money.

~Tenth

(post by nwtrucker removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Not exactly the similarity between Cruz and Obama . Cruz had dual citizenship which is legal between Canada and the US.On the other side ,Indonesia does not recognize dual citizenship at all. So his mother would have had to renounce her US citizenship to live there.Just sayin hypothetically.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Why would his mother have to give up her citizenship? They don't let outsiders live there. His mother never had duel citizenship to begin with. Where do you get that she would have to give up her US citizenship to live in Indonesia? That is not true at all. Sounds like something you just made up to support a brother lie.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Ok it's the same story as Obama. If one of your parents is American you are too. It doesn't matter if you were born on the moon. You're still an American. Period.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I wouldn't vote for Cruz simply because his wife works for Goldman Sachs.

Obama's citizenship issue came up after he was already elected. Ted Cruz won't get elected.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join