It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better good-looking edit tags? Please?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
What the title says. I know it's just a detail, but the edit tag is just plain dull. It appears as an additional, unaesthetic line below our posts, sometimes it even appears at the middle of a post (between two paragraphs), and, additionally, they sometime glitch and display the poster's personal timezone to the public.

Can we not replace the entire tag by, I don't know, a small popup box? You know, the presence of the box says you edited your post, and if you click on the box it'll say the time it was edited? Can we make the popup box blue? As in, TARDIS blue... Bigger on the inside... get it?... Ugh, never mind that joke.

What do you think fellow ATSers, ye who make much writtings and edits?

edit on 8-5-2015 by swanne because: just take a look at the length of that edit tag!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

As a poster that uses voice dictation I agree. I'll get distracted occasionally and have to edit several times and the current tag can make a mess of the post.

On the flipside I would love to see a good emote for sarcasm. That form humor seems to get missed more on here than any other form.

Just a little picture of Don Rickles or something similar will do.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Why does an edit need to be advertised in the first place? What does it matter if a post was edited twenty times? With new devices that have an auto correct you can end up with blizzard statements because your device chooses a different word than the one you type. Like that sentence I just typed. I didn't type blizzard I typed bizzare but my device chose blizzard as the word I wanted.
Anyway I say get rid of the edit notification. Some people are really terrible spellers (my device tried to substitute speakers for spellers just there) and need to make corrections. Sometimes they realize a better way to express what they want to say. Why is it anyone's business if a poster changes something? NIX THE EDIT NOTIFICATION.
I say we take a vote on it. A poll of the members who are the life's blood of this site.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

If we're changing emoticons then one that rolls its eyes in disbelief or one that twirls it's finger around its ear to indicate someone is crazy would be nice.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Please, can we get a rainbow striped, winged, unicorn horned kitty cat emoticon.
Please please please

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I agree. I too have a rather bad keyboard, and, add to that that English is not my native language. So, needless to say, I have alot of edit tags in my posts.

Though, I believe T&C forbid the abolition of the tag. See, I myself found a way to hide my own tag, since they were so distracting. But when a member discovered that I had the ability to prevent the display of my tag, he told the mods, and the mods said to me that preventing the display of the tag was against T&C. (Don't worry mods, I don't hide my tag anymore. )

So, the T&C say that a notification must appear after any edit. I don't know why but that's how it is. Thus, although I agree with you, although I would very much like the tag to be "nixed", I don't think the admin will go with it.

So, my alternative suggestion is an "edit mark" - a small box, perhaps the size of an emoticon, which would be less intrusive, less distracting. Also, I propose that this box could be placed on top of the post, just left of our group of "link", "quote" and "reply" icons. Or, if a box is too complicated, place the tag as it is left of the "link" icon, and right of the post date.

edit on 8-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I believe it is so that someone will know if a post they've replied to has been edited after the fact. I could see myself replying to something, and the person I'm replying to edit their post to make my reply look stupid.

I think it adds a level of accountability to our posts.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Do you think SO could come over and discuss the possibility of a more discrete tag?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Well, SO is ... well SO! He sees pretty much everything in here, so I wouldn't doubt he'll be along in a bit (assuming he has time).

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Well, he can take his time, I get the feeling there is alot going on right now.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

And it's FRIDAY

Or as I call it "Xursday" (for us Destiny players).

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

And it's FRIDAY

What about it? Does he turn into a wolf on fridays?

edit on 8-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I can see doing away with the edit tags as they are now. It seems that the majority of people never fill out the mandatory reason for the edit anyway.

What would be nifty is an option to see what the post looked like prior to the edits, maybe a log. Not sure how strenuous that would be on server resources though. I can see that being a bit of a hog.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
A member replied to me yesterday in some thread and his edit tag glitched, like I reported in the OP, and I could see he was from the Chicago timezone.

Just confirming my op...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
bump. For SO.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Hi SO! Welcome back. What's your thoughts on this edit tag thing?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
S.O. is busy, with big things for the site (new infrastructure for starters).
Edit tags are way, way, way, way, down the list.

RELAX...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Hey, can't really object if the biggest thing we have to complain about is edit tags. Something must be going right!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

So true...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I finally saw what's you're talking about. Since you mentioned it, I've been keeping an eye out for a glitchy one. Here's a link, for reference.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join