It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Labour Lost and Conservative Majority Was Achieved...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretFace

I seriously doubt that, although I know UK politics isnt much better, I sure wish that more of our people had that British candor and could admit when policies fail, and come up with solutions

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
In my opinion it's in no small part down to the Labour front bench being completely incompetent - I mean they couldn't even kick out this diabolical government despite all the major scandals.

The only way they can back any credibility is if they stop trying to be the Tories and London centric, best mates with big business and go back to standing up for the working class. Though my guess is they'll blame all this on the SNP instead of their own obvious failures (what were their policies again? I'm still not sure).

Too sleep deprived and annoyed at the result to give a proper analysis but isn't this one of their worst defeats ever?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

Too sleep deprived and annoyed at the result to give a proper analysis but isn't this one of their worst defeats ever?

Sure is.

Milipede has done more damage than Gorden brown.....and that's tough to beat!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Labour arrogance lost the election.
No referendum, calling people racist because they wanted less immigration, a whole bunch of stuff.
Ed was a bit of a heel, but no one could have won for labour on that sort of platform.

They lost my vote years ago and I can't imagine them changing enough to ever win back my confidence.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretFace

The reason Labour lost The General Election is a simple one. Ed Milliband.

The Labour Party has been told by the public many times that the leader they choose will not win the election for them.

Michael Foot

Neil Kinnock

Gordon Brown.

And now Milliband.

When are The Labour Party ever going to listen to the public when they are told the leader is a " dead duck "

They never learn.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
it is only a surprise because people were too embarrassed to admit they were going to vote Tory.

Out of everyone I know, only two admitted they were voting Tory, yet they must be out there somewhere.

It is what it is and we have the Government we deserve.

I personally hate the Tories and everything they stand for, but Labour are a spent force and I do not think they will ever get in again.

Your claims that Labour wrecked the economy are false by the way, the entire Government, with the exception of a handful of Lib Dems destroyed the economy, because the Tories, as an opposition, supported Labour's stance on banking regulation. In fact, up until the crash, they were a spent force with no plan on sorting the economic mess Labour were faced with. Of course as we have seen over the last 5 years, the Tories have punished those that had no influence over the economic crash and continue to reward those that did.
edit on 8/5/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Regardless Labour brought us 2 wars plus were going to deny us a EU referendum. I take exception on being denied a voice about the EU, I found labours attitude arrogant and patronizing.
edit on 8-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yeah, they missed a trick on the E.U and it is an arrogant stance for sure. But, I can't see how Cameron can hold a referendum unless he is certain he has enough support to stay in. After all, he is a fully signed up member of the Bilderberg group and they drive the E.U agenda.

My guess is he will resign before 2017 and whoever takes over will change their minds and there will be no referendum.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

That would mean a UKIP mega surge in 2020........

Even in this GE they were scoring second in many constituency's. They barely kept the status quo this time around, in fact the SNP puts a spanner in the works this time. Failure to give a referendum would be political suicide.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Agreed.
49.5% of the entire UK vote was for only two parties supporting an EU referendum.
That will be impossible to ignore.
I am pleased that 3,881,129 people (12.6% of the vote) sent their loud message to Cameron but it is unfortunate that our system only provides 1 MP for the party they voted for, UKIP.
Even more unfortunate when (4.7% of the UK vote) numbering 1,454,436 for the SNP resulted in 56 MP's.

Ah well that's our system, but if we are a step closer to that referendum now I am happy that I voted for UKIP.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the result the SNP strived for all along. Even though ED had ruled out coalition with them they were still going on and on about despite the fact it was clearly extremely unpopular in England. Sturgeon would have known the scare of that would push voters away from labour. Now that the conservatives are in its puts SNP in a stronger position come next years elections to fight for another referendum. She can easily say scotland voted left and ended up with a right wing party. Its pretty much delivered on to her on a plate. To fortuitous for my liking.

Don't get me wrong Ed was the wrong person to lead, i've said that all along and the fa t they refused an EU ref is a mistake on their part too but i think the SNP were clever enough to spot this opportunity to use the system to work for them

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Megatronus

Sturgeon was secretly recorded saying that she would prefer a Tory Government as it would benefit her agenda. Why Scotland voted NO to independence, yet produced an overwhelming result for the SNP is a bit confusing. However, I am sure that by the next election, she will be clambering for another one.

ETA- UKIP will struggle unless they can replace Farage with someone as charismatic and straight talking as he is.
edit on 8/5/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
a reply to: Megatronus

Sturgeon was secretly recorded saying that she would prefer a Tory Government as it would benefit her agenda. Why Scotland voted NO to independence, yet produced an overwhelming result for the SNP is a bit confusing. However, I am sure that by the next election, she will be clambering for another one.

Its likely less they want independence and more they think SNP will represents them better than Labour or Lib dem's ever did.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Which doesn't really make sense as they will have little to no influence in Westminster and no mainstream party will ever form a coalition with them.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Which doesn't really make sense as they will have little to no influence in Westminster and no mainstream party will ever form a coalition with them.

Well thats the scotts for you, a fickle and difficult unpredictable bunch.

They just wanted to send a big # you to Labour, Libdems and the torys. Can you blame them?

They managed to do what us in England and or cousins in the US dream of doing! Telling the big two partys to go # themselves and go 3rd party.
edit on 8-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretFace
As we await what looks to be a Conservative majority, it amazes at just how many Labour voters are absolutely clueless as to how this happened. This happened because Labour refused to engage the average people. This happened because Labour for 13 years in their last reign, wrecked the country, wrecked communities, wrecked public services, raised taxation to highs Tories have not and gave infinitely more power to the banks than Tories ever did.

Look at the votes, as a percentage of votes, UKIP are the third largest party in the country now and Conservative the first...Has the penny dropped yet? No, the sheer arrogance of the left will blame everything on Tory smear campaigns, media influence, and UKIP racist rhetoric. How about open your eyes! How about voter experience! How about voters working and/or living with what UKIP are addressing! How about voters benefiting more under Tories than they ever did under Labour! How about the thought of Labour coming in and wrecking the place, let alone with an SNP nightmare coalition, would send us back 40 years!

This absolute mess of a defeat for Labour comes down to their arrogance. Their arrogance that they had Scotland all sewn up and their arrogance that the rest of us would rebel against Tory austerity and simply vote Labour. No, where I live and where many I know live, as well as many across where I work, they voted for either Conservative or UKIP, because those areas and their lives have been severely hit by past Labour policies, even now, as they spread out from the usual Labour stronghold slums of the inner cities. Of course Labour still won in the inner cities, those people benefit greatly from a Labour spending spree and anti British mandate. Of course many northerners also voted Labour, its programmed in to them to hate Thatcher and the Tories for closing the mines...Without ever saying that Wilson closed more mines in his two terms than Thatcher did in her two, or the economics of the mining industry, but that’s a separate issue. Still notice that even in the north, Tories broke through and UKIP did not fair badly in terms of share of the vote.

The biggest loss I think to this is that a good few million voted UKIP, but UKIP as it stands only have one seat in parliament. The system needs to change to be representative of this.

Of course things may not change, the same problems will be the same problems, but take note of the feeling in this country and Labour might get somewhere. If both Tories and Labour continue to ignore this feeling, then I can see UKIP certainly riding high in the next election.

Every country needs to look after its own, this is no different for Britain.

Well, if the Tories are as good as you think, perhaps this might give you a better picture of their real intentions towards the more disadvantaged in society;

www.independent.co.uk... -10237191.html

Slipped in under the radar, as are so many dodgy policies these days.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join