It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Labour Lost and Conservative Majority Was Achieved...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
As we await what looks to be a Conservative majority, it amazes at just how many Labour voters are absolutely clueless as to how this happened. This happened because Labour refused to engage the average people. This happened because Labour for 13 years in their last reign, wrecked the country, wrecked communities, wrecked public services, raised taxation to highs Tories have not and gave infinitely more power to the banks than Tories ever did.

Look at the votes, as a percentage of votes, UKIP are the third largest party in the country now and Conservative the first...Has the penny dropped yet? No, the sheer arrogance of the left will blame everything on Tory smear campaigns, media influence, and UKIP racist rhetoric. How about open your eyes! How about voter experience! How about voters working and/or living with what UKIP are addressing! How about voters benefiting more under Tories than they ever did under Labour! How about the thought of Labour coming in and wrecking the place, let alone with an SNP nightmare coalition, would send us back 40 years!

This absolute mess of a defeat for Labour comes down to their arrogance. Their arrogance that they had Scotland all sewn up and their arrogance that the rest of us would rebel against Tory austerity and simply vote Labour. No, where I live and where many I know live, as well as many across where I work, they voted for either Conservative or UKIP, because those areas and their lives have been severely hit by past Labour policies, even now, as they spread out from the usual Labour stronghold slums of the inner cities. Of course Labour still won in the inner cities, those people benefit greatly from a Labour spending spree and anti British mandate. Of course many northerners also voted Labour, its programmed in to them to hate Thatcher and the Tories for closing the mines...Without ever saying that Wilson closed more mines in his two terms than Thatcher did in her two, or the economics of the mining industry, but that’s a separate issue. Still notice that even in the north, Tories broke through and UKIP did not fair badly in terms of share of the vote.

The biggest loss I think to this is that a good few million voted UKIP, but UKIP as it stands only have one seat in parliament. The system needs to change to be representative of this.

Of course things may not change, the same problems will be the same problems, but take note of the feeling in this country and Labour might get somewhere. If both Tories and Labour continue to ignore this feeling, then I can see UKIP certainly riding high in the next election.

Every country needs to look after its own, this is no different for Britain.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
How about Labour lost because the party elected the wrong Miliband as leader in the 1st place.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretFace
This absolute mess of a defeat for Labour comes down to their arrogance.

I was in a taxi yesterday in Newcastle, a Labour stronghold. The taxi driver was decrying Labour's open-door immigration policy of a few years ago. He was going to vote UKIP, but was a life-long Labour voter. As a taxi driver - on low pay - he was able to cite examples where people are hired from abroad at lower pay than him, therefore putting his livelihood at risk. These "imports" were non-European.

How Labour thought that mass immigration would help the working man is beyond me!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I think that the Labour party need to go home and have a bloody good think about what happened yesterday.

As you said when a political party ignores the people who should be there key demographic it should not come as a suprise when the numbers come in.

I really do hope that they are able to regroup and once again become what the Labour party should be, a party of working class people fighting for the rights of working class people.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Eh, The Tories raised tax to 20% after they said they didn't need to...???

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Eh, The Tories raised tax to 20% after they said they didn't need to...???

This is true, the Tories use VAT as their tax of choice, but you know where you stand with that, not that I'm happy about it still but it was expected and a rise from 17.5% to 20%...However, from 1997 to 2005, Brown introduced 157 stealth taxes, although they did not increase income tax they reduced from 23% to 20%, but Tories further reduced it to 15%. They then scrapped Tory introduced controls on council tax, which sent council tax bills through the roof as local authorities jumped on it to increase revenue no end - Tories again in 2010 took this back. National Insurance threshold went up only a couple of hundred pounds each year with Labour. Under Tories it has gone up from £5725 when they entered office, to £8060 now. Income tax allowance the same, £6475 under Labour in 2010 with miniscule increases before then, £10,600 under Tories now.

The myth that Tories rip off the working class more than Labour is simply not true, they both rip us off, but Labour try and do it in more sly way and more about spend, spend, spend and get the workers to pick up the tab before hyperinflation sets in.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Labour lost because the British public bought into Cameron's dodgy rhetoric, and dodgy agenda, hook line and sinker, and because party politics has made the political process so shallow, that in 21 St century Britain a guy like Cameron can waltz into downing street on a sound bite.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
2 reasons.

Milliband was arrogant patronizing twat and refused the British a say in a EU referendum

And most importantly........

The Scottish are a fickle difficult bunch.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

I was in a taxi yesterday in Newcastle, a Labour stronghold. The taxi driver was decrying Labour's open-door immigration policy of a few years ago. He was going to vote UKIP, but was a life-long Labour voter. As a taxi driver - on low pay - he was able to cite examples where people are hired from abroad at lower pay than him, therefore putting his livelihood at risk. These "imports" were non-European.

How Labour thought that mass immigration would help the working man is beyond me!

When it came to the EU and Immigration labour just stuck its fingers in its ear and went LALALALALALALALA

There mistake it seems.

edit on 8-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

From afar, I suspect that the results were for a very simple reason: immigration has not been good for the average voting resident of your country (or any country). It will become increasingly clear, supporters of mass, unchecked immigration will lose. The common folk, the mainstay of any country are tired. If they don't show their displeasure at the ballot box, then where?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: welshreduk
How about Labour lost because the party elected the wrong Miliband as leader in the 1st place.

Possibly had something to do with it. The Unions got their man and helped lose the election, David would have been the better bet but people did warm to Ed towards the end after he did pretty well during the live TV coverage.

Most people I know (working people not dolies) acknowledge that things are getting sort of back on track under Cameron. They all acknowledge that Labour almost destroyed our nations finances and that this can't be allowed to happen again. Add the Scots people dimension to the whole destruction of Labour too.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

When it came to the EU and Immigration labour just stuck its fingers in its ear and went LALALALALALALALA

There mistake it seems.

Roughly 70% of ethnics vote labour. Mass immigration is as good a conspiray as any other when it comes to Labour shoring up votes long term

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I was surprised by the results, but not astonished. Frankly Milibean has been all over the place since he won the leadership. I've been very unimpressed. And yes, I agree that Labour made the fatal mistake of taking Scotland for granted.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I do believe, experience of what many are saying around London and the south east areas that I visit, that immigration is probably the most important factor in this election. As I said, it shows when you consider a couple of million voted for UKIP, in England it was overwhelming Conservative and I honestly believe that it is only because of the sheer dread of Labour getting in, again, because of immigration, but also to a less of an extent, the economy. Had this election been between Conservative and UKIP, I think it would've been extremely close.

Immigration, in many areas, is in our faces, there are places that have soared in population in the last ten years strictly by immigration, but still have the same infrastructure and public service resources. You could argue that we need to build more schools, houses, hospitals, increase police etc but where does it stop? We are an island and not very big at that. I do believe we are not even half the size of France, yet have 2.5 x the population figure and are projected to be the most populated country in Europe. Where in this country are they going to go? Do we concrete over the island? That is not even without the fact that such communities generally want to reside within their own. It's an absolute recipe for disaster and the effect is severely understated.

I'm not against immigration by any means, but only for the best and brightest, who will come here to get the jobs that require something that the position just wont get here.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretFace

With few differences, this is exactly the same result that occurred in the U.S. in it's mid-term elections and for very similar reasons....

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: SecretFace

With few differences, this is exactly the same result that occurred in the U.S. in it's mid-term elections and for very similar reasons....

Well the Conservatives were already in before the election. This time round they just crushed Labour even more at the expense of Scotland.

We still remember labours mess up when they were last in power before 2010.....
edit on 8-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I suppose. Although the Republicans also had control of congress as well.

While I prefer the leader to be directly elected, in this case, it's a royal pain in the U.S...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Sounds familiar to the Democrats and progressives and whats going on here in the states

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

I've talked to many today and it wasn't rhetoric that voted them right or centre right, it was experience and for many, it was experience that had it not been perhaps for the rhetoric, would've sent them to UKIP. Tories did PR with great strategy and don't rule out that the SNP were also in on this. However, for the average man, enough is enough.

Conservatives are not great and let's face it, have not done a great deal to alleviate the main concerns of British people, especially London and the South East, but to have Labour in, who in many eyes are the main perpetrators of the mess we are in now, is just unthinkable...Let alone with an SNP dictatorship to boot.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Sounds familiar to the Democrats and progressives and whats going on here in the states

I believe from what I have heard from other commentators, it is very similar. I think the only difference is that Jack Straw (former Labour Home Secretary during Labours government) has gone on record to say that Labour's policy on immigration was a disaster...Probably only now as he sees the backlash in this country. I don't know if any Democrat would come out and say something similar in America.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join