It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologist Discovers Plant That May Only Grow On Top Of Soil Laden With Diamonds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Links are Forever

So I have a few problems with this.
Diamonds are already so common as to be sold in bargain bins in 99 cent stores. (if De Beers ever opens its vaults)
The last thing Africa needs is miners totally raping whats left of the jungle.
why is a geologist discovering plants?

A picky plant found in West Africa may grow only on top of mineral deposits often loaded with diamonds, according to research soon to be published in the journal Economic Geology. Stephen Haggerty, a professor at Florida International University in Miami and the chief exploration officer of Youssef Diamond Mining Company, said the discovery could be a game changer for the region.

The thorny plant, Pandanus candelabrum, only grows atop deposits of kimberlite, a type of volcanic rock found in giant underground "columns" around the world. Diamonds, formed hundreds of kilometers deep by intense heat and pressure, are pushed upward with the kimberlite during subterranean volcanic activity, resulting in gem-rich veins of rock.

"That's what Liberia needs, and that's what West Africa needs," he said.

I dunno man.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
same for gold and silver.... here in Texas, the weeds that grow on gold sulfates is real, really scary prickly looking...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

i get what you are saying OP.

Scary...when this gets out...say goodbye to jungle.

Edit:

A game changer he says. No doubt about that. Perhaps a skyscraper or two is in order. Few parking lots as well...
edit on 8-5-2015 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Interesting discovery, but If only people were as concerned about peace as they are for seeking diamonds and gold...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Well said!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Links are Forever

So I have a few problems with this.
Diamonds are already so common as to be sold in bargain bins in 99 cent stores. (if De Beers ever opens its vaults)
The last thing Africa needs is miners totally raping whats left of the jungle.
why is a geologist discovering plants?

A picky plant found in West Africa may grow only on top of mineral deposits often loaded with diamonds, according to research soon to be published in the journal Economic Geology. Stephen Haggerty, a professor at Florida International University in Miami and the chief exploration officer of Youssef Diamond Mining Company, said the discovery could be a game changer for the region.

The thorny plant, Pandanus candelabrum, only grows atop deposits of kimberlite, a type of volcanic rock found in giant underground "columns" around the world. Diamonds, formed hundreds of kilometers deep by intense heat and pressure, are pushed upward with the kimberlite during subterranean volcanic activity, resulting in gem-rich veins of rock.

"That's what Liberia needs, and that's what West Africa needs," he said.

I dunno man.

I call BS here. I spent many months filming for the BBC a program about the wildlife of the Seychelles Islands, where the Pandanus plant grows prolifically over granite rock. I even collected the pea-size red Pandanus seeds from their 'candelabrum' flowerhead.

There is nothing 'volcanic' about the Seychelles Islands where the Pandanus grows. The islands are a chain of mostly granite rock formations in the Indian Ocean, separated tectonically from the Kenya/Tanzania mainland which is geologically identical.

If Pandanus is only associated with volcanic rock formations where Kimberlite is formed, where is the volcanic history of the Seychelles Islands?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

My girlfriends brother is a geologist, and he prospects a lot for the company he works for. He's young, very intelligent, etc. So it's right up his alley. He works mainly up in Northern Canada right now but the stories he tells us, the stuff he finds, and how much 'power' a geologist has in terms of finding a 'gold mine' and how easy it is for someone with the right eye.
Most of what we the general population know is literally nothing compared to someone who has a masters in geology (which he has). Some of these geologists can be filthy rich, but work for company's that scare the crap out of them.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Starling

It's not outside the realm of possibility for this to be accurate. The West African species (Pandanus Candelabrum) is a distinctly separate species from that which grows on the Seychelles (Pandanus sechellarum). There are over 750 species of Pandanus, each with their own ecological niche.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Diamonds are worthless to collect.

But diamonds are priceless when you give them to your gal.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I really hope this information isn't going to get out of hand, especially if it turns out to be coincidence, and idiots dig it up anyway.

On the other side, what if these plants' roots grow diamonds instead! (i'm kidding!)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
same for gold and silver.... here in Texas, the weeds that grow on gold sulfates is real, really scary prickly looking...
there are several aurophillic plants. snake grass loves gold and so does the desert trumpet

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Great. Now every rapper will have a "diamond plant" growing in the background of his videos at the trap house.

new topics

top topics

join