It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong statin-diabetes link seen in large study

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: chr0naut

Statins lower cholesterol by limiting production of cholesterol in the liver.

But now we know that cholesterol does not cause heart attacks and may actually be one of the body's defenses against the infections which do cause them.

So why continue with statins?

Because medical science disagrees with you. We "know" no such thing. It's cholesterol that is clogging those arteries, not something else.

And as far as Big Pharma goes, statins are generics these days. There's no need to buy a brand name. They're cheap.

A classic heart attack is an interruption to the sinus rhythm (an electrical signal that gets the heart muscles to contract in rhythm) across the heart.

Indicators of heart attack are fibrillation and arrhythmia (i.e: interruption to the normal sinus rhythm), even when other symptomatic indicators are absent.

The sinus rhythm is dependent upon calcium ion channels to propagate the signal to the atrial muscle fibers in the correct sequence.

Inflammation (an immune response) changes the Calcium ion balance locally and so inflammation in the heart disrupts the sinus rhythm.

The body prevents the spread of infective agents within the arterial system by filling the inflamed arterial surfaces with cholesterol fatty plaques, note that these fatty plaques are underneath the epithelium, not on top of its surface! (One type of heart attack is caused when these plaques rupture through the arterial surface. The blood at the rupture clots and this can cause arterial blockage. The Cholesterol itself does not block the artery).

The correlation between Cholesterol plaques and heart attack is explained because Cholesterol plaque buildup is a symptom of the body's immune response to the causes of heart attack.

The body produces serum Cholesterol. If it was so deadly, why would it do so?

Cholesterol is essential in many biological processes. It is essential in the production of steroid hormones like Cortisol, Aldosterone, Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone. It is needed in making vitamin D and is also necessary in producing Bile. Without Bile, we could not digest fats, so Cholesterol is required to help us both digest and eliminate fats! Vitamins A, D, E & K are fat soluble and we require Bile to allow us to absorb them.

The 2015 US "Dietary Guidelines for Americans" has concluded : ”Cholesterol is not considered a nutrient of concern for over-consumption”, overturning about 40 years of contrary advice. They had good reason as recent science is exonerating orally consumed Cholesterol of its malign reputation and have shown that dietary Cholesterol has little effect on serum Cholesterol.

But big pharma would probably disagree.

edit on 8/5/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
a reply to: haman10

It is an honor to speak with someone from Iran. I am American. I don't hate you and I wish our governments would stop fighting. I appreciate your comments. I am 47 now. I have taken statins since I was 25. I think if they were going to help me much that they did in those 22 years. I am exercising a lot now, have less worry about cholesterol cause it seems if I eat bacon I am happy and satisfied for many hours after eating a few pieces. I am losing weight eating fat laden foods. They simply satisfy my hunger for much longer. My health and blood levels are improving.

I don't know if everyone could have the same experience that I am having just eating food I want in smaller quantities than being hungry cause I am eating stuff that is not satisfying but it is working for me. I eat 2 3 eggs every morning along with bacon or sausage and I am losing weight cause I never feel hungry till maybe dinner time.

Maybe the meds and rabit diets work for some but I have never been thinner or had such good blood test results without the statins.

First of all , thanks for your nice comment . i feel the same way . as normal citizens , we've got nothing to do with that nonsense . let the politicians tear their vocal cords by screaming hatred and rhetoric . i couldn't care less .

anyway , the thing that you mentioned regarding your own diet is called LSM (Life style modification) its the first and initial step towards curing essential hypertension and high chol. levels . Statins are not going to help you if you don't do LSM .

you can take a dozen statin pills a day and eat fast-food all day long . you still are going to have high chol. levels .

so you're doing a good job : but remember to take tests to monitor your chol. levels all the time

if this diet of yours work , you'd know . sometime getting slimmer has nothing to do with blood levels of cholesterol

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Excellent description.

As usual, doctors are reductionist and only capable of treating the symptoms and clueless on the causes.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly

Excellent description.

As usual, doctors are reductionist and only capable of treating the symptoms and clueless on the causes.

with all due respect , no thumbs up there actually .

our body produces many toxins and oxidants as well , if they are bad , why would it ?

1- cause there are mechanisms to contain them

2- cause toxins show their effects after a certain amount of concentration in body .

The same thing applies here . cholesterol has good and bad versions : HDL is the good one which protects human heart from any damage and LDL is the bad one . besides , certain levels of LDL in blood are harmless . even in patients with ACS an LDL level of < 70 is considered OK .

edit on 9-5-2015 by haman10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: haman10

Excellent description.

our body produces many toxins and oxidants as well , if they are bad , why would it ?

2- cause toxins show their effects after a certain amount of concentration in body .

The same thing applies here . cholesterol has good and bad versions : HDL is the good one which protects human heart from any damage and LDL is the bad one . besides , certain levels of LDL in blood are harmless . even in patients with ACS an LDL level of < 70 is considered OK .

With further due respect, many toxins produced by the body are pro-biotic.

Need I remind you the Cancer cells are so invasive because they are essentially immortal, replicating until they overcome the bodies balances and resources are overconsumed. Apoptosis is required to maintain normal biological balance.

To imply that we have a better idea of such complex and ancient mechanisms is both arrogant and ignorant.

Is LDL cholesterol a toxin? Does it have no function in a healthy body?

edit on 10/5/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: haman10

Excellent description.

With further due respect, many toxins produced by the body are pro-biotic.

Need I remind you the Cancer cells are so invasive because they are essentially immortal, replicating until they overcome the bodies balances and resources are overconsumed. Apoptosis is required to maintain normal biological balance.

To imply that we have a better idea of such complex and ancient mechanisms is both arrogant and ignorant.

Is LDL cholesterol a toxin? Does it have no function in a healthy body?

That would fit in well with the theory, that cancer is primarily a way of the cell surviving, when its under environmental attack.IE. it changes its structure only because it has to.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I was diagnosed with diabetes in January an idiot doctor wanted to put me on statins with a blood cholesterol of 5.6 I refused and said Id reduce it via diet and exersise today my cholesterol was 4.4 simple life changes less sugar,less trans fats,less dairy,more fruit and veg fixes chloresterol there is no need for any damn pill unless there is a severe inherited genetic problem.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
I was diagnosed with diabetes in January an idiot doctor wanted to put me on statins with a blood cholesterol of 5.6 I refused and said Id reduce it via diet and exersise today my cholesterol was 4.4 simple life changes less sugar,less trans fats,less dairy,more fruit and veg fixes chloresterol there is no need for any damn pill unless there is a severe inherited genetic problem.

Same here as soon as the Dairy went, it all went back to normal very fast. It seems about ten per cent of dietary meat is about right. Milk is liquid meat, with some very nasty other crap as well. My main thing was using honey as a sweetener, how wrong can you be, it pushed the blood glucose way up.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

For sweetener I use stevia it does not seem to affect blood sugar levels and is natural.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

a reply to: anonentity

For sweetener I use stevia it does not seem to affect blood sugar levels and is natural.

I will also vouch for stevia but be careful as it is only in trace amounts in some sweeteners (this may be because stevia is 500 times sweeter than sugar by volume).

Real stevia is hydrophobic like cinnamon and ends up floating in clumps at the top of your coffee.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Yes, statins may be warranted where the body is out of balance, but to take them forever and even when cholesterol is well regulated, as some sort of knee jerk reaction, is just wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join