It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truly, truly; The hour is coming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton
The problem with your interpretation is that it makes "No one...except" completely meaningless.
If "the Son of Man" means "everybody", then "No one except the Son of Man" means "No one except everybody", which is absurd.
The whole point of the statement in ch3 is that the one who "came from heaven" (and came from heaven before re-ascending there, if you follow the sequence of events) is therefore a unique source of information. So it has to be understood that, as coming direct from the Father, he "knew" heaven in a sense which Elijah never attained.

Similarly in this chapter.
The Son of Man is described as the one with a unique power to judge, and a unique power to give life to others.
None of the rest of us will be able to make our voices heard to those in the tombs, so that they will "come forth" to the resurrection of life or judgement.

Having ideas that appeal to you and looking for a few words that might appear to back them up is not good enough.
You need to read the passages as a whole, and get from them an understanding of what they are positively intending to say.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I agree that there are times when Jesus seems like he is explicitly referring to himself, but I think he is referring to something within us. Everyone has the POTENTIAL to go to heaven, this does not mean everybody will express the Son of Man. The Son of Man judges the flesh, and can give eternal life to it (John 8:51-58) if the flesh follows the path laid by Christ. It is dormant (for now), waiting to be discovered, but it is within all of us:

"Beware that no one lead you astray saying Lo here or lo there! For the Son of Man is within you.

Follow after Him!

Those who seek Him will find Him." (Mary Magdalene 4:34-36)

Jesus explicitly said we could do even greater works than he did, this ability is the Son of Man within us all.

---If the Son is always doing what the Father is doing, then it is our purpose to in-tune ourself with this path and become harmonic with our heavenly Father.
edit on 14-5-2015 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton
I agree that there are times when Jesus seems like he is explicitly referring to himself, but I think he is referring to something within us.

No, he is not. He is referring to himself as the source , and what is "within us" becomes available only because we receive it from him.
That is very clear from this passage and from the rest of the New Testament.
Jesus is the only one who has life "in himself". We receive it indirectly, taking it from himself.
He is the only one who is born "Son"; we have sonship insofar as we receive it from him.
He uses "Son of Man" about himself and only about himself, to express this uniqueness.

Everyone has the POTENTIAL...

No, that is the modern ego-centric illusion. The idea suits your taste, so you want to inject it into the text.
But understanding the New Testament properly involves focussing on what the text wants to say, rather than the things you want to read.

"Beware that no one lead you astray saying Lo here or lo there! For the Son of Man is within you.

That is a false quotation. You have invented it for your own purposes. The gospel says something different.

Jesus explicitly said we could do even greater works than he did, this ability is the Son of Man within us all.

No, he specifies that the power comes to us ONLY through the Holy Spirit which he himself will send to us.
The idea that we have these powers independently is the ego-centric illusion.

edit on 15-5-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: cooperton

Everyone has the POTENTIAL...

No, that is the modern ego-centric illusion. The idea suits your taste, so you want to inject it into the text.

"Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, " John 14:12

I believe everything you are saying, I did not mean to imply that anything besides Christ within us is capable of these feats. The gospel I quoted was Mary Magdalene's Gospel and I believe it was dismissed because of the misogynist church leadership at the time, so I consider it to contain the Word of God.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton
The fact remains that the "gospel" in question is not part of the accepted New Testament, and so not part of New Testament theology.
I think the early church rejected it because they recognised its content as new and different teaching.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join